03-04-2013, 07:14 PM
User Info
I started an earlier thread "Soap frustrations" that received many helpful replies.

One particular one from "tgutc"

"It might be worth your time to start a thread asking members for soap suggestions based on ease of lathering alone".

So here goes:

I have tried the following soaps with less then successful results:
Mama Bear
Mystic Water
Stirling Soap Co.
Honey Bee Spa

I "think" I am following the proper techniques on loading and building lather but nothing seems to give me thick slick lather unless I go super lather and add some creme to the mix.

A few points:
My water is soft
I am bowl lathering
I am loading my brush for 30 secs +/-
I am starting with a damp brush

So as "tgutc" suggested... any one with soap suggestions based on ease of lathering alone ?

3 79
 03-04-2013, 07:23 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
L' Occitane Cade is a hard triple milled soap that I've always found easy to lather and performs well. The Strop Shoppe soaps lather very easily for me and I have hard water. Proraso in the tub is ridiculously easy to lather, both the Green and the White. Though it's a cross between soap and cream.

45 3,955
 03-04-2013, 07:23 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Shave pucks: Calani, D.R. Harris, Provence Sante, Pre de Provence, Institut Karite, De Vergulde Hand, Haslinger

Shave sticks: Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword, Speick, Valobra

10 1,120
 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM
User Info
One of my first, and still favorite, soaps is Proraso. It is reasonably priced, widely available, very tolerant to bad technique and an excellent performer. In fact, as you indicated in your other thread that you had success lathering creams, soft soaps like Proraso, Cella and the Razorock Artisan series might be a good middle-ground. However, even after trying my fair share of creams, soft soaps, and hard and triple-milled soaps, I prefer the croaps among all others. My Cella and Proraso Green, White and Red have never let me down.

When lathering soft soaps, I recommend starting with a damp, slightly shaken brush, load the brush very generously with soap, and then dabbing the brush in the sink as often as desired to achieve the lather consistency that suits you. I dab quite often as I like a wetter lather, but YMMV.

I also noticed that my choice of brush often makes a noticeable difference. I used to use a Tweezerman, VDH badger and sometimes Omega 10065 boar, as my go-to brushes. I was able to achieve a good lather, but it required some work, and the badger brushes rarely had enough lather for my full three pass shave. I recently acquired an inexpensive Whipped Dog silvertip (and am now experimenting with other types of brushes - see my thread in Brushes about My New Shave Set), and the differences are substantial. I am now more quickly able to generate a hydrated lather that easily lasts for three or more passes.

Good luck!

0 386
 03-04-2013, 07:36 PM
User Info
(03-04-2013, 07:14 PM)Markh58 Wrote: any one with soap suggestions based on ease of lathering alone ?

martin de candre - and you are set Euro

7 1,625
 03-04-2013, 07:41 PM
User Info
I'm with Mick ! Get a Palmolive tallow stick. Rub it on your wet face. Start in with a damp brush and add water a little at a time and you will have thick Slick lather . Eat your breakfast cereal in the bowl. The time you spend lathering on your face will reward you 10 fold.

I chose the Palmolive because it is cheap and pleasant . But DR Harris Tallow or Volabra stick (tallow but I'm not fond of the scent) are all great soaps.

The important step is adding water until the lather blooms to a shiny slick lather. Don't keep going to the fluffy airy stuff. The palmolive should be super shiny and slick instead of foamy and fluffy. And that time spent brushing on your face will really soften the stubble and hydrate the skin.

My 2 cents Smile

6 1,224
 03-04-2013, 07:41 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-04-2013, 07:36 PM)tonsorius Wrote:
(03-04-2013, 07:14 PM)Markh58 Wrote: any one with soap suggestions based on ease of lathering alone ?

martin de candre - and you are set Euro

Very true.Biggrin

86 7,123
 03-04-2013, 07:46 PM
User Info
Provence Sante is a great newbie soap.

0 372
 03-04-2013, 07:56 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I would second Cade, very good soap and reasonably priced for what it is.

88 4,233
 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM
User Info
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm having fun learning about each. BTW I do not remember my G'dad having this mush trouble choosing a shave product. One razor, one soap, one aftershave, many years of shaving. I sometimes wonder if I'm over thinking the whole thing (?).

3 79
 03-04-2013, 08:01 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Your Granddad used tallow based soaps. The old Williams soap would build excellent lather.

One soap that I have not seen mentioned and one of my favorites that I will never be without is Mitchell's Wool Fat.

173 23,296
 03-04-2013, 08:03 PM
User Info
(03-04-2013, 06:51 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: TABAC is definitely one of the easiest to lather hard soaps. De Vergulde Hand is another along with Dr. Dittmar.

Or you can just jump to the front of the easy to lather train & get some Martin de Candre. You'll get there eventually anyway. Getting it now will just save you from spending money on all the others.

Yes, that was slightly tongue in cheek but there's also a bit of truth to it too (for me anyway)!

31 7,892
 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM
User Info
Based of ease of lather and overall quality from personal experience.

MDC you simply must try this!
Any Harris soap
Razo Rock

Castle Forbes The god of all soaps and creams
Pens BB

There are others that are good but These will get you started.

5 413
 03-04-2013, 08:56 PM
User Info
Hard triple milled soap, or soft soap too? Soft soaps are a lot easier to lather.

My top 3:
DR Harris
Tabac (but it stinks to me)

That's in the ease of latherability. Other soaps lather well, but require more work. Such as Mike's & MWF. Other soaps are hit/miss (GFT).

Non soap related, but the correct brush really helps tackle the hard soaps. Something like a very dense silvertip in a shorter loft or very firm 2 band hair make triple milled soaps a lot easier to load IME.

9 2,987
 03-04-2013, 09:05 PM
User Info
There were far fewer choices for your grand father than there are today and he probably did not see shaving in the same way that many of us do. The idea of shaving as a hobby is a relatively new one.

Pyrate Cove has some excellent low cost soaps that lather extremely well, but the absolute easiest soaps to lather are probably the Italian soft soaps like Vitos, Cella, Valobra, TFS, Proraso, and many of the Razorock soaps.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 03-04-2013, 09:45 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(03-04-2013, 07:46 PM)Williams Warrior Wrote: Provence Sante is a great newbie soap.

I definitely agree here.

I also thing you could do a lot worse than basically anything from RazoRock. The Karite and Artisan lines are my favorite, but you really can't go wrong with the black tubs or La Famiglia products, either.

And like someone else suggested, Proraso is quite easy to lather as well.

10 1,858
 03-05-2013, 04:49 AM
User Info
Arko, it doesn't get any easier!

0 433
 03-05-2013, 04:55 AM
  • GWHunter
  • Alleged rookie
  • Central Arkansas
User Info
Easiest to lather soaps:

5 40
 03-05-2013, 05:54 AM
User Info
(03-04-2013, 07:23 PM)MickToley Wrote: Shave pucks: Calani, D.R. Harris, Provence Sante, Pre de Provence, Institut Karite, De Vergulde Hand, Haslinger

Shave sticks: Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword, Speick, Valobra

Basically this (specially D.R. Harris and Provence Sante)... and Martin de Candre, of course (at an higher price point, for sure).

I also find Edwin Jagger/Mühle soaps extremely easy to lather - and they are inexpensive too. Cool

2 5,511
 03-05-2013, 06:31 AM
User Info
I suggest you just pick one, any one you have should be fine (even Williams), and stick with it for say 10-14 days or more. This should be enough time to learn the peculiarities about a soap and see what might improve lather (e.g., more loading time, more or less water, wetter or dryer brush, etc.). I have used many soaps and creams and have had difficulty getting good lather from a few, but by being stubborn and sticking with a soap I've eventually figured it out.

Having said that, if you must try something new, tallow soap sticks (Arko, Speick, Palmolive, etc.) are easy to use, low cost and produce great lather with very little effort and almost no learning curve.

Also, nothing wrong with creams. For me Musgo Real original is as good or better than anything I've ever tried (soap, cream, gel, can) in both performance and scent. So if you don't want to fuss with soaps, don't worry about it and you still have a wide and wonderful world with just creams.

0 140