03-05-2013, 10:09 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Ikon now promoting new late year release of Shave Craft mid range razors coming???? (made of wood???)has link on site.HuhHuh

6 1,913
 03-05-2013, 10:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Here is the link.

http://ikonrazors.com/store/index.php?ma...cts_id=170

Who said anything about wood?

Also says they will be coming out with a slant.

http://ikonrazors.com/store/index.php?ma...cts_id=160

173 23,492
 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
User Info
I hope that his marginal level of quality control doesn't decline on these lower priced offerings.

18 567
 03-05-2013, 11:04 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Mid range could be non stainless razors. About 4 years ago Greg re-chromed some Gillette razors and sold them. Or he might continue with the sintered stainless. Lowering the quality is like shooting yourself in the foot so I don't think he will go in that direction. Another thought is razors with resin type handles. You never knowSmile

100 12,438
 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
From Ikon's site; "Like our stainless steel offerings , the new ' Shave Craft ' series will be unmatched when it comes to quality , form and function."
To me it sounds like a non-stainless product. As long as they don't feature that childish skull logo too prominently, It sounds like something I'd try..............

0 270
 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM
User Info
So not many people fond of ikon in this thread?

0 32
 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 04:42 PM)Dfwde Wrote: So not many people fond of ikon in this thread?

I own two matte Ikon Bulldog XL handles, one polished Bulldogg XL handle and 3 Ikon heads - OSS, new SB and the new OC.

I read a lot about Greg and Ikon on B&B 4-5 months ago and decided to avoid the brand. That is until I actually gave his products a chance Wink

The stuff I own from him is top notch quality - almost 10/10 for finish and solid feel.
The OSS head is too mild for me, but regarding quality of the product - it's excellent.

The OC and the SB heads and his new larger Bulldog XL handles in matte as well as polished stainless steel are all TOP NOTCH QUALITY PRODUCTS !

22 5,044
 03-05-2013, 07:27 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
(03-05-2013, 04:42 PM)Dfwde Wrote: So not many people fond of ikon in this thread?

I've heard great things about Ikon products. I just won't be buying any modern stainless steel razors until my kids stop outgrowing all of their clothes every two weeks. Rolleyes

A less expensive Ikon would definitely get my attention. I should explain that as a lifetime biker who is also a pastor, I've spent half of my life searching for any kind of gear at all that doesn't have grinning skulls all over it. My garage and my coat closet are bad enough, but I don't want to see them in my bathroom too. So no offence intended, I just have kind of a hair-trigger for that kind of thing.

0 270
 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM
User Info
I would actually like to see Greg produce more high-end, FULLY machined, razors like the early iKon models. The newer models, while great shavers, could be so much better if the were fully machined.

This same trend can be seen regarding the Weber razors. Weber had dropped the DLC and ARC coatings (with no explanation) and now sells "just" a polished SS razor.

The DLC (who doesn't want a Darth Vader razor?) and ARC coatings were one of the biggest draws for the Weber line, just as the fully machined razors were one of iKon's best features. It just seems like they are watering down the products.

3 244
 03-05-2013, 10:27 PM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 01:55 PM)Java Wrote: From Ikon's site; "Like our stainless steel offerings , the new ' Shave Craft ' series will be unmatched when it comes to quality , form and function."
To me it sounds like a non-stainless product. As long as they don't feature that childish skull logo too prominently, It sounds like something I'd try..............

+1

6 122
 03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-05-2013, 10:04 PM)lamewing Wrote: I would actually like to see Greg produce more high-end, FULLY machined, razors like the early iKon models. The newer models, while great shavers, could be so much better if the were fully machined.

This same trend can be seen regarding the Weber razors. Weber had dropped the DLC and ARC coatings (with no explanation) and now sells "just" a polished SS razor.

The DLC and ARC coatings were one of the biggest draws for the Weber line, just as the fully machined razors were one of iKon's best features. It just seems like they are watering down the products.

I see your point but remember fully machined stainless steel razors are labor intensive and take longer to make. Not to mention a much higher price at the retail level. Sintered seems the way to go. Just look at the Feather AS-01 which is sintered stainless. My iKon SB Deluxe is a work of art and shaves great.

100 12,438
 03-06-2013, 01:58 PM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 10:04 PM)lamewing Wrote: I would actually like to see Greg produce more high-end, FULLY machined, razors like the early iKon models. The newer models, while great shavers, could be so much better if the were fully machined.

The DLC and ARC coatings were one of the biggest draws for the Weber line, just as the fully machined razors were one of iKon's best features. It just seems like they are watering down the products.

I had 4 of the early machined razors ( gen 1 and 2) and not one of them had a consistent shave. The tolerances were off on all of them and my examples didn't shave worth a darn. I paid significantly less than the current asking prices and wouldn't even think about paying the going rate now. After voicing my opinion of the razors in a review which was fairly critical on another forum, Greg banned me from purchasing from him on Ebay.

I wanted to like his products, but the quality control was not there. Childish actions of banning me from purchase didn't help either. In my opinion, there are better razors available for less money elsewhere.

18 567
 03-06-2013, 02:26 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I personally will not be supporting this vendor with my money regardless of the performance of his products, primarily based on his un-gentlemanly actions towards some folks I know well in the shave community and to a lesser degree my own interactions with him. The fact that he will not ship to Canada doesn't impress me either. There are plenty of other vendors with high quality products willing to ship to me directly that I feel good about supporting. YMMV.

This is all I will say on this matter, and now we return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

14 870
 03-06-2013, 04:22 PM
User Info
(03-06-2013, 02:26 PM)Attila Wrote: I personally will not be supporting this vendor with my money regardless of the performance of his products, primarily based on his un-gentlemanly actions towards some folks I know well in the shave community and to a lesser degree my own interactions with him. The fact that he will not ship to Canada doesn't impress me either. There are plenty of other vendors with high quality products willing to ship to me directly that I feel good about supporting. YMMV.

This is all I will say on this matter, and now we return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Don't ship to Canada Huh Are you sure about that ?

He ships to Denmark, Europe - half around the globe from the US, so Canada should definitely be possible too......

22 5,044
 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I would appreciate if we keep this thread civil and stay away from bashing.

100 12,438
 03-06-2013, 10:18 PM
User Info

That's a huge contradiction,or perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.

You said you want fully machined stainless steel ?

( I do,it will stand the test of time far better than a cheaper cast and coated product )

Or do you want DLC,ARC and those other dull coatings that iKon and Feather are using to cover the cheaper to manufacture Cast/Sintered stuff they're putting out now ? Those coatings are a necessity,they have to use them to cover and protect the formed (not machined) unsightly surface beneath.

Protective coatings are infinitely less durable and will not come close to the ability of polished machined stainless steel to maintain it's looks over time.
Much respect to Weber razors for moving on to a polished stainless steel version.

I would pay twice as much for a fully machined polished stainless steel iKon OC Bulldog Deluxe as opposed to it's current sintered dull coated 2013 counterpart.

7 414
 03-06-2013, 10:30 PM
User Info

Watering down the products Huh Confused

Weber have gone from coated finishes to actual real solid stainless steel heads - is that watering down, when the ARC and DLC coated stuff were less durable less solid made heads compared to real solid stainless steel Huh

I don't get what you mean in this post AT ALL !

(03-06-2013, 10:18 PM)razorx Wrote:

That's a huge contradiction,or perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.

You said you want fully machined stainless steel ?

( I do,it will stand the test of time far better than a cheaper cast and coated product )

Or do you want DLC,ARC and those other dull coatings that iKon and Feather are using to cover the cheaper to manufacture Cast/Sintered stuff they're putting out now ? Those coatings are a necessity,they have to use them to cover and protect the formed (not machined) unsightly surface beneath.

Protective coatings are infinitely less durable and will not come close to the ability of polished machined stainless steel to maintain it's looks over time.
Much respect to Weber razors for moving on to a polished stainless steel version.

I would pay twice as much for a fully machined polished stainless steel iKon OC Bulldog Deluxe as opposed to it's current sintered dull coated 2013 counterpart.

+1

22 5,044
 03-07-2013, 06:55 AM
User Info
Is the Weber polished stainless steel head a machined stainless steel base that is then polished or a sintered/cast based head that is either polished or chromed?

0 3,341
 03-07-2013, 06:57 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(03-07-2013, 06:55 AM)jaguar Wrote: Is the Weber polished stainless steel head a machined stainless steel base that is then polished or a sintered/cast based head that is either polished or chromed?

I believe the Weber polished SS head is
a) cast stainless steel
b) hand polished afterwards
It does not have any coating etc.

102 17,662
 03-07-2013, 07:21 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-07-2013, 06:57 AM)Agravic Wrote:
(03-07-2013, 06:55 AM)jaguar Wrote: Is the Weber polished stainless steel head a machined stainless steel base that is then polished or a sintered/cast based head that is either polished or chromed?

I believe the Weber polished SS head is
a) cast stainless steel
b) hand polished afterwards
It does not have any coating etc.

I believe this is a correct statement. The underside of the head according to the Weber website is a matte finish. The handle on the other hand is machined.

100 12,438