03-05-2013, 11:17 AM
User Info
For medical reasons I find it necessary to shave with my opposite hand. I normally lather and shave with my right hand - been doing it that way for 30 some years.

On Friday I decided to do my first ever left handed shave. I was off from work and would have three shaves to practice and some time for any cuts to heal.

I selected a homemade soap consisting of some Brut body soap and a puck of glycerin based VDH luxury shaving soap. The glycerin soap is nice and slippery.

For a razor I selected the new Ikon open comb on the Ikon OSS handle. This is a mild razor for me. It was armed with an Israeli Red Personna for the blade.

Making the lather was no problem. But applying it to my face showed I might have issues. I go the lather in my ears and nose - good thing I love the smell of BrutBiggrin

I made a North to South pass of my entire face. The only issue was not having another hand to do "the Tabbatha" and move my nose out of the way. Other than that no nicks or cuts. But a "feel check" found a lot of missed hairs.

I lathered again and did an ear to nose pass. I had to really concentrate to do my chin. No cuts or nicks but a "feel check" showed more stubble than normal.

After a third lathering I did south to north. I did get a few nicks on my jaw line. The "feel check" showed a surprisingly good shave except for my neck.

One more lather of my neck only. But I pressed too hard and had lots of weepers.

I repeated on Saturday and Sunday. I was getting a decent shave but still have a hard time with my neck. I had razor burn there each day.

On Monday the Ikon OC head was swapped for the Ikon SB which is more aggressive. The shave was only marginally better but with more weepers so I went back to the OC.

I have to concentrate and am slower than normal adding another 5 minutes to my shave. But for now I am satisfied with the results - not BBS but a good shave that makes my face presentable at work.

Overall a very interesting experience. I actually have a harder time brushing my teeth lefthandedSmile

Phil

7 363
 03-05-2013, 11:39 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Hi Phil,
Its hard getting used to something we have been doing for so many years. Regarding the neck area try doing an ATG pass and see what happens. I think this might be easier for you and getting used to it
might happen a lot sooner. In any event slow and steady might be the key.

100 12,438
 03-05-2013, 11:54 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Phil,
I'm with ya man. I still have use of my dominant hand, but with less strength and dexterity so I have to shave some areas with my non-dominant hand. I have learned to LOVE FAT AND HEAVY razors. They give me much more control with my left/non-dominant hand and my right. I'd recommend trying a cadet T1 or Parker 65R.
Alan

2 334
 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Interesting I've never given any thought to shaving with opposite hand. It would be difficult I'm sure if it ever came to that.

45 3,955
 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM
User Info
One of the other side of the brain stimulating activity is Drawing with the opposite hand. You may want to try this.

5 410
 03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
User Info
Do you ever use a straight razor? I use both hands when shaving with a straight.

A few years ago, I broke my right hand and was forced to learn to better use my left hand. It takes some time, but you can get used to it. After a while it even gets to be comfortable. Good luck.

18 567
 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM
User Info
+1 what Dale wrote.

A bunch of years back I had a prognosis of greatly reduced use of my right hand. So I began teaching myself to do things lefty. Now, some of the things that I converted to lefty seem strange doing them righty today.

BTW, I have largely full use of my right hand today, not full, but mostly. So what I went through was actually a blessing. Some things I can actually do better as a lefty. It won't surprise me if you find the same thing.

You'll get it Phil.

32 6,308
 03-05-2013, 01:29 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Best of luck, Phil and I wish you good health. Like a lot of lefties, I tend to be ambidextrous so I shave much of my right side (especially ATG) with my right hand. But interestingly, there are some activities and sports that I only perform right-handed and feel completely inept doing them lefty.

35 2,703
 03-06-2013, 12:55 AM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 01:29 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Best of luck, Phil and I wish you good health. Like a lot of lefties, I tend to be ambidextrous so I shave much of my right side (especially ATG) with my right hand. But interestingly, there are some activities and sports that I only perform right-handed and feel completely inept doing them lefty.

Interesting you say that. My 12yr old daughter has been left handed since birth but her music teachers for violin and flute have always taught her to play just like the rest of her class. That actually said that she has a physical advantage in violin being left handed and playing in the s 'standard' way.

5 410
 03-06-2013, 06:00 AM
User Info
I have no trouble switching hands for a shave. In fact, I can do most things ambidextrously.

Too bad I haven't the nerve to use a straight or Shavette. It's really useful to switch hands I'm told.

0 554
 03-06-2013, 08:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I too am a lefty and have no problems using my right hand to shave with. Now my brush control is another story.

173 23,499
 03-06-2013, 10:33 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, after bragging on my ability to use my right hand to shave with, I preceded to try and remove part of my right cheek this morning with my right hand. Not a cut, not a nick, but a gash.Angry

173 23,499
 03-06-2013, 10:34 AM
User Info
(03-06-2013, 10:33 AM)Johnny Wrote: Well, after bragging on my ability to use my right hand to shave with, I preceded to try and remove part of my right cheek this morning with my right hand. Not a cut, not a nick, but a gash.Angry

Pride goeth before a fall ... Blush

0 554
 03-06-2013, 11:17 AM
User Info
(03-06-2013, 10:33 AM)Johnny Wrote: Well, after bragging on my ability to use my right hand to shave with, I preceded to try and remove part of my right cheek this morning with my right hand. Not a cut, not a nick, but a gash.Angry

Those little bic disposables have nice steel in them !

6 1,224
 03-13-2013, 11:16 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Walter Benjamin: "...No one should rely unduly on his competence. Strength lies in improvisation. All the decisive blows are struck with the left hand".

0 1,622
 03-14-2013, 04:41 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Phil, I'm with you man. My right hand, my dominant hand is still messed up from my crash. I can't grip as tight and I have lost rotation in the arm. It does make it more of a challenge. As I have posted before, I prefer long handled and heavy razors. They give me more control. Hang in there. Improvise, overcome, and adapt!

2 334
 03-20-2013, 02:37 AM
  • steve g
  • Northern California
User Info
I shave the left side of my face with my left hand and the right side with the right hand. I taught myself to shave while watching other men and television and for some reason I thought I saw other men shave in this manner. 25 years later I realized it was an odd method of shaving, but at this point it's here to stay.

3 68
 03-20-2013, 04:08 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
We have some amazing members! Overcoming adversity with such composure inspires me to be more appreciative. Good luck Phil with the adaptation, I'm sure the shaves will continue to improve.

91 17,821
 03-20-2013, 03:09 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
When I began using a straight razor, I used both hands from the start, and it feels pretty natural. Every once in a while just for fun I switch hands with a DE or an SE and I seem to be completely incapable of doing it. I guess it's just whatever you get yourself used to.

0 270