03-05-2013, 11:20 AM
User Info
I finally figured out why when using the web browser on my phone some threads look awesome and some are all out of whack.

Any time someone uses "new attachment" to install a picture as opposed to the imgur add on (or the old tinypic add on) the thread goes out of whack as the mobile site does not reformat the picture. Since we don't really add attachments here (i.e. documents or spreadsheets) can we either disable the attachments section or at least figure out a way to get it to not show or resize the picture?

I use tapatalk when browsing the forums and that does not give me the issue, but when clicking a link in my email account, it still opens the site up using the mobile browser. I'd love to make this issue go away.

129 6,685
 03-05-2013, 11:35 AM
User Info
I could probably manually add the code to the mobile theme templates to resize the images when I get some time.

40 5,830
 03-05-2013, 11:37 AM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 11:35 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I could probably manually add the code to the mobile theme templates to resize the images when I get some time.

That would be wonderful Andrew!!!!! It only happens with attachments. regular [ IMG ] posts are fine. Thanks again!

129 6,685
 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-05-2013, 11:37 AM)wingdo Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 11:35 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I could probably manually add the code to the mobile theme templates to resize the images when I get some time.

That would be wonderful Andrew!!!!! It only happens with attachments. regular [ IMG ] posts are fine. Thanks again!

Hi Doug and Andrew

I'm not sure if that's 100% correct, take a look here and here.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-06-2013, 10:59 AM
User Info
(03-06-2013, 10:53 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 11:37 AM)wingdo Wrote:

Hi Doug and Andrew

I'm not sure if that's 100% correct, take a look here and here.

Take care, Mike

Squished is the least of my issues. Photos which are posted as attachments show up in full size (3072x2048 etc) on my phone using the mobile site. Since the pictures take up the full screen, the rest of the thread is minimized to the point of being 1pt font size. I have to manually resize the page with pinch to zoom, and then the attachment pictures are too large to be able to see.

Again, this is only an issue with pictures uploaded with the ATTACHMENTS plug in,
[Image: ZDbSt22.jpg]
not with the imgur / or any [ IMG ] link. [Image: uMGrC3F.jpg] Those all resize correctly in the mobile site.

Mike, since I know you help out a lot with this sort of thing, if I'm not explaining this properly, please feel free to PM me and we can discuss the issue. I know sometimes I do not put to words what's in my head.

129 6,685
 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Doug

(03-06-2013, 10:59 AM)wingdo Wrote: Squished is the least of my issues.

It's not all about you Tongue Wink Tongue

(03-06-2013, 10:59 AM)wingdo Wrote: Photos which are posted as attachments show up in full size (3072x2048 etc) on my phone using the mobile site. Since the pictures take up the full screen, the rest of the thread is minimized to the point of being 1pt font size. I have to manually resize the page with pinch to zoom, and then the attachment pictures are too large to be able to see.

I understand the problem you're talking about as I see the exact same "mobile" theme problem...

(03-06-2013, 10:59 AM)wingdo Wrote: Again, this is only an issue with pictures uploaded with the ATTACHMENTS plug in,
[Image: ZDbSt22.jpg]
not with the imgur / or any [ IMG ] link. [Image: uMGrC3F.jpg] Those all resize correctly in the mobile site.

It's one issue, but not the only issue with the "mobile" theme and how it handles (some) images in posts (IMHO).

(03-06-2013, 10:59 AM)wingdo Wrote: Mike, since I know you help out a lot with this sort of thing, if I'm not explaining this properly, please feel free to PM me and we can discuss the issue. I know sometimes I do not put to words what's in my head.

No need as I do understand the specific problem you're referring to with the "mobile" theme. I was just trying to make people aware there are also other (display) problems with the "mobile" theme...

Take care, Mike

Edit: Added link.

23 1,872
 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM
User Info
The issue, I'm almost positive, is that the image resizing tool probably didn't add its code to the mobile theme templates.

I'll get to it sooner or later.

40 5,830
 03-07-2013, 08:09 AM
User Info
I believe the code was properly implemented to the mobile site templates.

let me know if this is still a problem, wingdo.

I checked and my phone, using the mobile site (not tapatalk), does not have the issue you mentioned above.

40 5,830
 03-07-2013, 09:18 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-07-2013, 08:09 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I believe the code was properly implemented to the mobile site templates.

I checked and my phone, using the mobile site (not tapatalk), does not have the issue you mentioned above.

Hi Andrew

I realise you're specifically addressing the image "mobile" theme display problem Doug brought up, but is there any chance you could also look into the image "mobile" theme display problem I mentioned above? As it's still present. Thank you.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
User Info
(03-07-2013, 09:18 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(03-07-2013, 08:09 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I believe the code was properly implemented to the mobile site templates.

Hi Andrew

I realise you're specifically addressing the image "mobile" theme display problem Doug brought up, but is there any chance you could also look into the image "mobile" theme display problem I mentioned above? As it's still present. Thank you.

Take care, Mike

send me a photo that is getting squished for you and I'll try.

is this an iphone issue? if so, I don't own an iphone so I can't really 'test' it too much.

40 5,830
 03-07-2013, 10:04 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-07-2013, 09:33 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: send me a photo that is getting squished for you and I'll try.

is this an iphone issue? if so, I don't own an iphone so I can't really 'test' it too much.

Hi Andrew

I believe it's a "mobile" theme problem (though I guess it could possibly be a iOS Safari render engine problem -- a lot less likely though IMHO)...
  • iPhone or iPad doesn't matter.
  • "Mobile" theme only, doesn't occur in "Full Site" mode with "Ace Navy" or "Luxure" themes.
  • Is visible on any image I've shared here (I store all my images on imgur) eg Image in this post.
  • I use the method (code) I outlined here to post all the images I share here.
Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-07-2013, 11:25 AM
User Info
(03-07-2013, 10:04 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(03-07-2013, 09:33 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: send me a photo that is getting squished for you and I'll try.

Hi Andrew

I believe it's a "mobile" theme problem (though I guess it could possibly be a iOS Safari render engine problem -- a lot less likely though IMHO)...
  • iPhone or iPad doesn't matter.
  • "Mobile" theme only, doesn't occur in "Full Site" mode with "Ace Navy" or "Luxure" themes.
  • Is visible on any image I've shared here (I store all my images on imgur) eg Image in this post.
  • I use the method (code) I outlined here to post all the images I share here.
Take care, Mike

stop using the dimensions in your img tag.

first image is without them, 2nd is with them: http://shavenook.com/thread-some-picture...#pid205242

on my galaxy s2, the first image is fine, but the 2nd is squished.

40 5,830
 03-07-2013, 11:34 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-07-2013, 11:25 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: stop using the dimensions in your img tag.

first image is without them, 2nd is with them: http://shavenook.com/thread-some-picture...#pid205242

Hi Andrew

Not being rude when I ask, Why? As I would like to understand the problem...

I see the same results as yourself on iPhone and iPad when "mobile" theme is active.

So I'm guessing the problem is to do with the "mobile" theme and it lack of support for dimensions used with "IMG" tag...

Anyway, thank you for looking into the problem.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM
User Info
(03-07-2013, 11:34 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(03-07-2013, 11:25 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: stop using the dimensions in your img tag.

Hi Andrew

Not being rude when I ask, Why? As I would like to understand the problem...

I see the same results as yourself on iPhone and iPad when "mobile" theme is active.

So I'm guessing the problem is to do with the "mobile" theme and it lack of support for dimensions used with "IMG" tag...

Anyway, thank you for looking into the problem.

Take care, Mike

I don't take it as being rude, I just don't have the time to look into why it isn't working with dimensions when it does work without them right now.

if I do get time in the near future, I'll look more into it.

40 5,830