03-05-2013, 02:14 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1260938.JPG?m=1362514318]

Thanks to a good friend I have the chance to test the new Muhle sivertip fibre v 2.0 shaving brushes.

I have received the 4 new Muhle silvertip fibre , with the same knot measures than the previous silvertip fibre generation (25 , 23, 21 and 19 mm) but with the lofts slightly shorter in the 25 , 23 and 21 mm models , but slightly taller on the 19 mm.

I can tell you right now , after using the 23 mm one for my shave today , that there are some differences : the tips are ultra soft , even more than the previous silvertip fibre ones , also I can distinguish right away that aren't natural badger hair , due to that extreme softness , something that I didn't experienced with the other Muhle synthetic fibre brushes.

These new bristles are finer , so the knot contains more fibre. The backbone is quiet firm and have lost some of the flow , but once again , I need to test them even more.

What I can tell you is how soft it feels on the face , used with circular strokes , and the easiness to create thick , very thick lather , of both triple milled shaving soaps and creams , and like the previous generation , not much quantity of product is required.

Well , looking forward to test all the brushes and I will report back with more impressions of them.

86 7,123
 03-05-2013, 02:18 PM
User Info
Synthetics don't do it for me... I had a 23mm Mühle Silvertip Fibre and the face feel was not for me... It hit BST not too long ago... YMMV

31 1,554
 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice Teiste ... I look forward to your further impressions on these latest generation Muhle synthetics. Although no synthetic brush can match the allure and performance of a quality badger or boar brush, I must say that the newer Frank Shaving synthetics perform exceptionally well.

102 17,665
 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM
User Info
Looking forward to more updates thanks for sharing

1 85
 03-05-2013, 03:30 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Looking forward to your tests, definitely. In particular to see how this second generation matches up with the first. The flow question is one I am particularly interested in.

14 870
 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I'm sure your review will be great as always. I know it's hard to compare to badger but could you compare just in terms of backbone to a well known Badger like a Duke 3?

45 3,955
 03-05-2013, 03:46 PM
User Info
I, too, am looking forward to your reports.

On a related note, I've recently begun using my first synthetic and am trying to adjust my face lathering technique. Any advice would be appreciated.

For instance, do you tend to load your synthetics with wet, damp or somewhat dry brush? On my relatively few attempts, loading with a damp and dryer brush was easier, resulted in a good lather or two, but it was insufficient for three passes. A wet brush produced quite a mess, required a very long load time, but I generally had enough lather. The right balance is proving elusive.

0 386
 03-05-2013, 04:35 PM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 03:46 PM)branford Wrote: I, too, am looking forward to your reports.

On a related note, I've recently begun using my first synthetic and am trying to adjust my face lathering technique. Any advice would be appreciated.

For instance, do you tend to load your synthetics with wet, damp or somewhat dry brush? On my relatively few attempts, loading with a damp and dryer brush was easier, resulted in a good lather or two, but it was insufficient for three passes. A wet brush produced quite a mess, required a very long load time, but I generally had enough lather. The right balance is proving elusive.

How do you remove the water? Squeeze or flick?

If flick, try squeezing. If squeezing, try squeezing less? Tongue

9 2,988
 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM
User Info
Synthetics aren't my cup of tea, but I can admire their efficacy in lather creation--creamy and thick. I just dont like the face feel.

I will still be watching to see your updates.

10 98
 03-05-2013, 05:01 PM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 04:35 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 03:46 PM)branford Wrote: I, too, am looking forward to your reports.

How do you remove the water? Squeeze or flick?

If flick, try squeezing. If squeezing, try squeezing less? Tongue

I'm a flicker; will try squuezin' Biggrin

0 386
 03-05-2013, 05:08 PM
User Info
Teiste,

Thanks for putting forth the effort and work in reviewing this. I have also been curious about V2. I have a 21mm V1 and although nice, I prefer my boars and real badgers.

3 315
 03-05-2013, 06:33 PM
User Info
IMO synthetics are a sponge. Try not soaking or even wetting the entire knot, since it means nothing to a synthetic knot anyway. Instead, try just dipping the tips and even then not very much.

32 6,309
 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM
User Info
Teiste, keep us updated. i would love to try one of the new Muhle 2.0 synthetic to see how it compares to my Frank Shaving brushes.
Mine all have incredibly soft bristles and perform wonderfully even at their 48mm loft. i still think for the money and performance, synthetic brushes are incredible!
Good luck with the brushes, my friend.

75 20,883
 03-06-2013, 08:40 AM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
Tieste, I'm looking forward to following your series, and to compare notes with you. I have the same brushes in ivory.
[Image: SilvertipFibreline-up.jpg]

0 254
 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I'm a fan. I like these brushes, granted they're not badger but they're pretty darn nice.

12 743
 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-06-2013, 08:40 AM)Codfish Wrote: Tieste, I'm looking forward to following your series, and to compare notes with you. I have the same brushes in ivory.
[Image: SilvertipFibreline-up.jpg]

Nice Jim ! Yes , I will write it here and hopefully I will read your impressions of them too.

86 7,123
 03-06-2013, 03:48 PM
User Info
I like my Fibre 1.0 - it sounds from your description, Teiste, that I probably will enjoy that one more than 2.0, since it is difficult to distinguish from real badger!

12 1,243
 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have a 23mm 1.0 and a 25mm 2.0. I agree that the tips of the 2.0 are softer than version 1, but they are both great brushes for face or bowl lathering. I don't prefer one to the other, but I do tend to use a bit more pressure on the 25mm. I never used a badger brush so I cannot compare the two, but I cannot imagine what more they could offer. These brushes lather anything (cream, croap or soap), they are comfortable, really a joy to use, I have not had a flow problem and there is no maintenance. Rinse them out, shake, let dry handle down. They're ready to go again in a few hours. Maybe someone could let me know what else I am missing that badger brushes offer.

16 542
 03-06-2013, 05:55 PM
User Info
The current version uses the same fiber as the H.I.S. brush but in a far better knot configuration that the H.I.S. and a much more user friendly handle.

The tips will feel different from the original Silvertip fiber and I prefer this one over the original.

I look forward to your results.

1 2,827
 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I hope Muhle will stand behind their products this time.

116 3,804