03-05-2013, 05:51 PM
User Info
Hey Guys,

I have a question a fellow at work told me that he wouldn't go back to DE razors ever again he said he shaved with them for years but he said he would only shave with the single edged razors.
I was a little confused until he showed me his razor......I laughed and said that cheap little plastic razor you shave with. He said its the best razor he has ever used no irritation or razor burn he says he even just shaves with water. I don't believe that one, but ya never know.
He said the BIC single Edged sensitive razor is the best razor ever made. So I said Ill have to give one a go so I went a bought a pack from the dollar store and figured whats the worst that could happen??? A few nics, some razor burn or the worst thought ever I might enjoy it lol.......

Well two shaves it and I hate to say it the shave is actually pretty smooth. I have tried it with 2 days growth and my normal prep of 3p pre-shave and some IM or no pre shave and the razor provides a DFS on a 2 pass shave. I think If it went 3 passes it would be BBS. I haven't had any irritation or sting at all.

The razor is a little workhorse or should I say "mule" its not really the most attractive looking razor, have its yellow and white and cheap looking plastic eyes staring at me, I feel really guilty shaving with it and looking over at my collection of vintage razors, even my shave brush is a little weirded out.

Anyways back to the razor It seems the angle of the head is the key to the fantastic shave these BIC Sensitive Disposable razors provide.

So Im curious to know if the BIC DE blades shave similar to the disposable blades.

Feel free to chime in with any info about the BIC blades im really curious to know.

If they are the same blade im going to be purchase a large amount of these blades because they work so well.

39 694
 03-05-2013, 05:58 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
The setup of Bic DE blades depends on the chosen razor, so I'd say it's tough to really compare it to the Bic disposable.

Our own Johnny should be along soon enough - he somehow has come to embrace the dark side of Bic disposables. Rolleyes

35 2,703
 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I think this is exactly what Johnny just started shaving with.

45 3,955
 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM
User Info
I have few more to try out......I wouldn't say I would continue using them I might as a treat but so far so good. The smoothness of them is quite amazing but the knowledge of proper prep and aftershave definitely play part with getting a smooth shave.

BIC DE blades seem to be hard to find as well...Ebay seems to be the only place to pick them up for cheap.

39 694
 03-05-2013, 06:24 PM
User Info
When I was thinking about getting a double edge (DE) safety razor and moving away from the Mach 3, I bought some BIC sensitive razor to experiment with. After all, they appear to be based on the design of the Shick injector, at least in terms of blade angle relative to the handle, and there is only one blade at a fixed angle in contact with the face. My thinking was if I could shave with a bic sensitive, I could learn to handle the DE. I took a couple of razors with me on a trip with no other razor so I would have to succeed or admit failure and break down and buy something different on the road.

Turns out the shaves were about as good as with the Mach 3 at a fraction of the price and gave me enough confidence to purchase a DE. I still use BIcs when I'm traveling and don't want to check my bag as they are allowed by TSA.

Pros: effective, low cost, sharp but not aggressive, no multi-blade effect, fixed angle (need to use the same basic shaving technique as DE)

Cons: no weight at all in the razor so you need to use some but not too much pressure and this takes some adjustment; environmental concerns of plastic, throw-away item; for me, only 4 or 5 shaves per razor (I go 6-8 with current blade)

Think about it. This is single blade shaving, not much different than a DE or injector. Isn't the angle key when using those razors as well? At a cost of ~$.25/razor and none of the issues of multi-blade shaving, this is a sensible choice for use when traveling or even for every day use if you happen to prefer this shaver. I think of it as a plastic, lightweight, disposable version of the Schick injector razor.

0 140
 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Isn't it Johnny that has several hundred of these? I actually picked some up because he really gives them props. Gonna give them a run as they seem the perfect fit for my travels this spring. As long as I can master my face lathering with La Toja, and find a reliable way to pack my WSP Prince with out destroying it that is.

14 1,177
 03-05-2013, 06:55 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Did someone mention my name.Biggrin

When I use to travel for a living I used these little jewels. While on a trip to my sons a few weeks back I used them again and was extremely pleased with the shave. So now I have 288 of them. I can get 7 shaves from one razor, so you can do the math as to how long 288 razors will last me. You can see them in my SOTD pictures.

[Image: kp12AOn.jpg]

[Image: qjtwqsv.jpg]

Thanks to Celestino for the blow-up picture

173 23,546
 03-05-2013, 07:21 PM
User Info
I see someone else likes too......Wow Johnny thats quite a stash you have.

39 694
 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
(03-05-2013, 05:51 PM)jordy Wrote: ..... He said its the best razor he has ever used no irritation or razor burn he says he even just shaves with water. I don't believe that one, but ya never know.

For years I had a full beard, so all I had to do was 1 pass down on my cheeks and 1 pass up on my neck to keep the beard looking clean. (Didn't really care about the quality of the shave back then.) I used single blade disposible Bics, and I did indeed do it with just hot water every day.

0 270
 03-05-2013, 07:42 PM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 07:37 PM)Java Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 05:51 PM)jordy Wrote: ..... He said its the best razor he has ever used no irritation or razor burn he says he even just shaves with water. I don't believe that one, but ya never know.

For years I had a full beard, so all I had to do was 1 pass down on my cheeks and 1 pass up on my neck to keep the beard looking clean. (Didn't really care about the quality of the shave back then.) I used single blade disposible Bics, and I did indeed do it with just hot water every day.

I found a video is this you j/k Biggrin....

The guy seems to just weed whack right through that beard like it owes him something. It made me lol a little somethings you find on youtube.

39 694
 03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
He should have used that same blade to tame that mane he's sporting under that hard rock hat.

14 1,177
 03-05-2013, 08:43 PM
User Info
Jordan,
i used one for a shave since i had not use a similar razor in 25 years and to support Johnny, but it was not a pleasant shave for me. i had to give up after the first pass as it just was not shaving as well as my DEs and i had to do more passes in the same areas with much more pressure. i did not enjoy the experience and can not see myself doing it again. The best to you when you do use them.

75 20,883
 03-06-2013, 08:54 AM
User Info
Before conversion to DE I happily used Bic Sensitive disposables. A dermatologist explained why the single edge is preferable (especially for men with curly beards) and he was right: no bumps! Biggrin

I switched 'cause it was greener. I don't see how I saved any dough. Maybe now that I have found my needs and technique I will spend no more. After all, I have enough blades (maybe 700-odd) and a bakers' dozen axes on hand.

Don't care if Bic's Greek Yellows are the same blade as the Sensitives'; I must STOP buying stuff. Blush

0 554
 03-06-2013, 09:05 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-06-2013, 08:54 AM)Michael G Wrote: Before conversion to DE I happily used Bic Sensitive disposables. A dermatologist explained why the single edge is preferable (especially for men with curly beards) and he was right: no bumps! Biggrin

I switched 'cause it was greener. I don't see how I saved any dough. Maybe now that I have found my needs and technique I will spend no more. After all, I have enough blades (maybe 700-odd) and a bakers' dozen axes on hand.

Don't care if Bic's Greek Yellows are the same blade as the Sensitives'; I must STOP buying stuff. Blush

I recycle mine.

173 23,546
 03-06-2013, 09:08 AM
User Info
(03-06-2013, 09:05 AM)Johnny Wrote: I recycle mine.

I would do that now, where I'm living.Wink

0 554
 03-23-2013, 03:16 PM
  • brg
  • Portugal
User Info
This is my opinion:

- At first I hated the BIC DE blades (worst blade ever made?), but then I tried them on my EJ closed comb and they're usable.
- About the BIC Sensitive disposables, besides the plasticky feeling, I don't think they cut very well. I'd end up with lousy (i.e. not close) shaves, but I guess they get the job done.

0 46
 03-23-2013, 04:34 PM
User Info
(03-23-2013, 03:16 PM)brg Wrote: This is my opinion:

- At first I hated the BIC DE blades (worst blade ever made?), but then I tried them on my EJ closed comb and they're usable.
- About the BIC Sensitive disposables, besides the plasticky feeling, I don't think they cut very well. I'd end up with lousy (i.e. not close) shaves, but I guess they get the job done.

Thanks for the info much appreciated

39 694
 03-23-2013, 05:34 PM
User Info
Have to say I'm a big fan of the BiC DE blades and have a hundred on the way from a reputable Turkish ebay seller. Work a treat in my EJ DE89 and show good longevity at five shaves a blade. I use a single shim in the razor too.

1 253
 05-21-2013, 10:28 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
I just bought two bags of Bic Sensitives on sale at the Grocery store. I'm curious to try these! I'm glad they get a good review from Johnny Smile

1 750
 05-23-2013, 12:57 AM
User Info
I tend to agree with your friend. As far as disposables go the BIC sensitive is the best.

1 283