03-06-2013, 04:19 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
I plan on using Barbicide Solution to disinfect vintage razors I acquire. I plan on following the guidance on the bottle, 2 oz concentrate to 32 oz of cold water and leaving the razor in the solution for 10 minutes.

Are there any other things I have to be aware of regarding this disinfecting solution?

What about gold plated razors, stainless steel razors etc, anything to be aware of?

7 858
 03-06-2013, 04:37 AM
User Info
You might want to wash the razor off 1st with water and an old toothbrush just to loosen up the crude that might be on it.

Just set a timer. It's real easy to forget!

5 410
 03-06-2013, 05:02 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(03-06-2013, 04:37 AM)Johnus Wrote: You might want to wash the razor off 1st with water and an old toothbrush just to loosen up the crude that might be on it.

Just set a timer. It's real easy to forget!

Thank you for your input. The procedure I thought would be to

- Soak the razor in hot water with a mild detergent for 30 min
- Use scrubbing bubbles (or if I find anything equivalent here in Norway) and a toothbrush
- Barbacide solution
- Some polish is needed
- Good rinse in warm water

7 858
 03-06-2013, 05:24 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Gold plating will be ripped right off with Barbicide, so don't use it on gold platings.

Also keep yourself strictly to the description. Leaving them in for too long can cause staining.

No problem with stainless steel.

5 447
 03-06-2013, 06:23 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(03-06-2013, 05:24 AM)DoubleB Wrote: Gold plating will be ripped right off with Barbicide, so don't use it on gold platings.

Also keep yourself strictly to the description. Leaving them in for too long can cause staining.

No problem with stainless steel.

Oh! Didn't know gold plating would react on Barbicide. Is it the same for silver?

I will use a timer, so they don't stay in for more then ten minutes.

7 858
 03-06-2013, 06:39 AM
  • DoubleB
User Info
Don't know about Silver.

I use Barbicide for straights only. There are many opinions about barbicide reacting to a plating. Some say it's safe (even gold) some say it's not. After reading some stories I figured I'd better be safe then sorry. No Barbicide for DE's for me. 70% alcohol for those.

But with scrubbing bubbles (saw your other thread) and 70% alcohol you are safe and probably overkilling already. You could loose the Barbicide and stick to alcohol.

5 447
 03-06-2013, 07:19 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
I don't think there is a definitive way to clean gold plated razors without messing up the finish.

With my Gillettes I simply gave a wash with dish detergent and paper towel to clean up. This left the finish intact.

Soaking in barbicide is a no no for gold razors. Too much scrubbing or soaking of the vintage gold toned razors also seems to effect how the finish looks so as light as possible with the gold toned razors.

15 541
 03-06-2013, 08:21 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(03-06-2013, 06:39 AM)DoubleB Wrote: Don't know about Silver.

I use Barbicide for straights only. There are many opinions about barbicide reacting to a plating. Some say it's safe (even gold) some say it's not. After reading some stories I figured I'd better be safe then sorry. No Barbicide for DE's for me. 70% alcohol for those.

But with scrubbing bubbles (saw your other thread) and 70% alcohol you are safe and probably overkilling already. You could loose the Barbicide and stick to alcohol.

Already have the Barbicide, and will use it on nickle plated razors. I have a 75% ethanol based disinfectant for surfaces and equipment, which I could use on gold razors? Or is it still to strong?

(03-06-2013, 07:19 AM)Hanzo Wrote: I don't think there is a definitive way to clean gold plated razors without messing up the finish.

With my Gillettes I simply gave a wash with dish detergent and paper towel to clean up. This left the finish intact.

Soaking in barbicide is a no no for gold razors. Too much scrubbing or soaking of the vintage gold toned razors also seems to effect how the finish looks so as light as possible with the gold toned razors.

Thank you for your input. Keep reading to be gently with gold plated razors, so I will do that.

7 858
 03-06-2013, 08:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If you use the Scrubbing Bubbles you really do not need any other disinfecting. If you feel the need, just pour a little alcohol over the razor and rinse.

173 23,546
 03-06-2013, 11:46 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(03-06-2013, 08:52 AM)Johnny Wrote: If you use the Scrubbing Bubbles you really do not need any other disinfecting. If you feel the need, just pour a little alcohol over the razor and rinse.

Great tip Johnny! Thanks.

7 858
 03-06-2013, 02:21 PM
User Info
Do you really even need the Barbicide? It is designed for barbers who are continually using their tools and must disinfect between each customer. For your personal use, you can disinfect just as well with soap, Scrubbing Bubbles and alcohol.

37 2,965
 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
User Info
Striky,
I would just stick with Scrubbing Bubbles and hot water for any vintage razor.
Every time I think of Barbicide I think of Ben's poor Gillette-

http://shavenook.com/thread-warning--10320

5 337
 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM
User Info
(03-06-2013, 08:52 AM)Johnny Wrote: If you use the Scrubbing Bubbles you really do not need any other disinfecting. If you feel the need, just pour a little alcohol over the razor and rinse.

+1....the Barbacide might be overkill and potentially damaging to some finishes. A good scrub w/ soap and warm water followed by a soak in something like SBs should be more than enough to kill anything worth worrying about. Truth is, after a few days in open air most of that stuff is killed off anyway.

5 938
 03-06-2013, 09:12 PM
User Info

+1 i would have to agree.

75 20,883
 03-06-2013, 10:42 PM
  • DoubleB
User Info

While I agree with you here, Johnny, there is something I like to mention.
The disinfecting properties of alcohol show when the alcohol evaporates.
Therefore I would suggest pouring alcohol - let it air dry - then rinse it

5 447
 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
Thanks for all your inputs. I see I didn't need to buy the barbacide. however, it was cheep so no harm.

7 858
 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM
User Info
I used both barbicide and industrial lysol and soaked razors in them, undiluted, for over and hour.
I did it with quite a few razors and never had an issue with the plating wearing off.

I have been using lysol because an e.r. doctor on b&b quoted hospital procedures for disinfecting equipment as 1-hour soak in 5% lysol.

YMMV, but I have soaked in it vintage gilletes, known for having very delicate gold plating, for way over an hour, and there was no problem with the plating. The other issue is the smell and fumes, which are hideous. It takes a few days and soaking in soapy water and alcohol to get the smell out.

Barbicide is different. I think i does dissolve some of the plating because I have been using the same jar for a few razors. It evaporated some so it became even more concentrated. The last time I used that jar on a superspeed, after 1 hour soak, it came out brass colored! I thought I stripped out the plating, but actually the other way around - a thin layer of, well, I don't know what it was got on the razor. It took me *forever* to clean it, but it did come off and the original beautiful plating was back again.

It also depends on the razor. Gillette's have a pretty tough chrome plating. So the old gems. the gold plating on schick injectors is very thin and delicate.

6 808
 03-08-2013, 07:27 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
PLEASE VIEW THIS THREAD PRIOR to using Barbicide on vintage gold plated razors...

91 17,852
 03-11-2013, 08:38 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(03-08-2013, 07:27 AM)ben74 Wrote: PLEASE VIEW THIS THREAD PRIOR to using Barbicide on vintage gold plated razors...

I saw your post when you posted it. Sad story!

I have come to the conclusion not to use Barbicide for Gold plated razors. Only short dippings/quick rinse in a thin solution with SS and nickel plated razors

7 858
 03-15-2013, 01:02 PM
User Info
dumb question from boris: what about a good soaking in hydrogen peroxide?

0 189