03-06-2013, 05:09 PM
User Info
I have purchased 14 Shavemac brushes (2 of these were Rudy Vey's with D01 3-Band and D01 2-Band knots) and I'm working my way slowly but steadily through the testing phase with a couple of them now Smile

I would like to post a review of the Shavemac 3-Band Silvertip brush I ordered back in November 2012. All my Shavemacs are custom made orders, so you can only buy them if you order them specifically through the Expert Selection on the Shavemac website (hidden page, enter 'expert' in search field and it will pop up) or by emailing Bernd directly.

One of my 14 Shavemac brushes is the one I would like to post a small review of today.
It has the following specifications:

Handle Shape:102
ColorTongueearl Imitation
Quality and Size:24 mm Silvertip 3-Band
Hair length ( Loft):48 mm
Knot Shape:Fan Shape
Shavemac logo:Logo on bottom

Sorry for the poor pics, they were taken with my iPhone 5 in poor lighting conditions Blush

I have now used the brush 5 times, and it has shed 2-3 hairs.
The handle is lightweight, but very solid to hold in your fingers - it does not glide.
The knot is soft to touch, but not overly soft.
When wet, it bends a little bit - and only because I ordered it in 48 mm loft does it not bend like a mop (i.e. Kent BK8)
When you run it under the tap the hairs do bend a little bit, but not to an extent where you can call this brush close to floppy. It only opens up slightly, when you pour water into the center of the knot, but it is so dense, that it does not open up like for instance my 7-8 Thäter 2-Band and 3-Bands tend to do.
I'm really glad that I got it in this relatively low loft for that exact reason - the Thäter reason Wink

Shavemac 3-Band Silvertip is their softest knot, and if you like backbone in your brushes, avoid buying this particular knot in too high a loft.

The splay on it is quite large, but that is to be expected from a soft 3-Band knot in 24 mm fan shape. No surprise there really.
But the bloom is not overly large, and because of the low loft it is quite controllable for face lathering. FYI : I face lather exclusively.

My preference is large to XL knots, but when they are larger than 25-26 mm I only buy 2-Band dense knots and not 3-Band soft l knots since I feel I lose too much precision for face lathering if the splay and bloom is out of control. I like to be able to close my mouth and then lather around my mouth and chin area without losing control and getting lather in my nostrils Wink

I have used the brush with Lavanda Old version cream, Xpec unscented crem, TF&H Trafalgar cream and a combo of Penhaligon 1870 cream & Simpson Luxury cream.

Here is my opinion:

The brush has performed admirably from first shave to last shave.
It did tend to collapse a bit like you see in more soft & floppy brushes before you really get the lather creation started, but the dense knot combined with the low loft saved it each time and the flow thorough in the brush is quite excellent leaving only a bit of lather trapped inside the brush. So if you use too little product this may mean that you don't have enough for 3 passes even if you squeeze the knot gently for get the lather out.
The lather creation is quite good, in fact great.
No complaints there.
The softness of the brush is not silky smooth - it actually has quite surprisingly great backbone for a 24 mm fan shaped 3-Band Silvertip brush.
On the other there is exactly ZERO scratch, ZERO scritch - I felt ZERO prick from this brush. The tips are soft, but not silky smooth soft. There is definitely backbone in this brush.

This brush will be a solid addition to my stable of brushes.
It's not in my Top 5, but I have nothing negative to say about this brush. It's a very solid high performer.

My ratings:

Design: 9/10 - it's custom made and the handle is quite beautiful IMHO
Ergonomics: 9/10 - handle could be 15% heavier and I would have rated it 10/10
Flow through: 9/10 - almost perfect
Face feel: 9/10 - not too soft, you feel the brush with nice backbone, but this brush has ZERO scricth/scratch. It's not silky soft, but it feels very very smooth on your face
Lather creation: 9/10 - performs solid and great. Creates the lather fast and efficiently, when I face lather with it.
Overall: 9/10 - I can definitely recommend this brush to all face latherers - it's almost a perfect flawless performer.

[Image: 3163k94.jpg]
[Image: 2z5lvrl.jpg]
[Image: 1tvk1i.jpg]

22 5,081
 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM
User Info
A very good and thorough review, Claus. Thanks!

Michael

24 276
 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Very good review , Claus.

Reading it , seems the brush for me , but let me tell you that I'm sure the finest badger could perform as good as the silvertip hair used by shavemac.

Interesting regarding the softness of the tips : maybe , since they're set at 48 mm dont feel as soft as when that kind of hair it set at a higher loft.

My question now is : of all your custom shavemac brushes , which one is your favorite ? Or maybe a top 5 of those shavemac's of yours will be good too.

Once again , thanks a lot for this review.

86 7,124
 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM
User Info
Excellent review! I like the looks of the handle on that! That knot sound like a winner!

Enjoy!

1 2,827
 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM
User Info
(03-06-2013, 05:20 PM)monarch2001 Wrote: A very good and thorough review, Claus. Thanks!

Michael

Thank you Smile

(03-06-2013, 05:42 PM)Teiste Wrote: Very good review , Claus.

Reading it , seems the brush for me , but let me tell you that I'm sure the finest badger could perform as good as the silvertip hair used by shavemac.

Interesting regarding the softness of the tips : maybe , since they're set at 48 mm dont feel as soft as when that kind of hair it set at a higher loft.

My question now is : of all your custom shavemac brushes , which one is your favorite ? Or maybe a top 5 of those shavemac's of yours will be good too.

Once again , thanks a lot for this review.

Teiste, I'm embarrassed to admit that I have only used 5 of my 14 Shavemacs Blush
The rest are still waiting in line Biggrin

I still have 22 new brushes, not yet used.
I only shave 4 times a week, and prefer to test and use the same brush 5-6 times before using anther one......

Had 35 new brushes in December, so I'm now down to 22 new unused brushes.
I'm working my way through them in 2013 Tongue

Will post more reviews with better photos as I test and try my new brushes, be sure of that Teiste !

(03-06-2013, 05:58 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Excellent review! I like the looks of the handle on that! That knot sound like a winner!

Enjoy!

Thanks Smile

22 5,081
 03-07-2013, 01:33 AM
User Info
Hello Claus, excellent review. Don't be embarrassed too say you have only used a small part of your collection, this is the joy of wet shaving.... taking your time & sharing your thought's. Enjoy

Charles U.K

0 2,340
 03-07-2013, 11:51 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Claus

Thank you for the review and I believe it has somewhat helped me (finally!) decide on loft height and knot shape I will order from Shavemac (I'll be buying a couple of knots from them in the near future).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-07-2013, 04:51 PM
User Info
(03-07-2013, 01:33 AM)whatmorebrushs Wrote: Hello Claus, excellent review. Don't be embarrassed too say you have only used a small part of your collection, this is the joy of wet shaving.... taking your time & sharing your thought's. Enjoy

Charles U.K

(03-07-2013, 11:51 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Claus

Thank you for the review and I believe it has somewhat helped me (finally!) decide on loft height and knot shape I will order from Shavemac (I'll be buying a couple of knots from them in the near future).

Take care, Mike

Thanks & You're very welcome Charles & Mike Smile

22 5,081
 03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Yes , I understand that you only have tried 5 of the 14 shavemac's , my friend.

shavemac's are excellent brushes , I should use mine more ( I have 10) but I only shave once per day (I should start use one brush for my head , another for my beard...)

86 7,124
 03-12-2013, 10:57 AM
User Info
Now with updated & better pics Smile

22 5,081