03-07-2013, 06:30 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Like a few of you gents, I am taking an attempt at the Feather system..actually, it's my second time, this round I am going to be a lot less cocky and more patient.

I've been doing the first pass of each shave with the CJB/ProGuard combo, and finishing with a Weber.

I am not entirely uncoordinated but I still can't get the cheek area right beside the nose, and the corners of my mouth.

With the cheek area, I have to do sort of a nose to ear, even though that's across the grain on one cheek.

The only area I can go right hand to right cheek and left to left is right at my side burns. I have to switch back to the opposite hand as I get closer to the nose.

Still getting a few weepers.

I've had a few instances where the blade just digs into whisker and stalls. It's hard to be light enough that I don't put pressure but firm enough to maintain momentum. Gotta wonder if I wouldn't be better with something other than the ProGuards, but I don't want to end up slicing myself...

The saga continues..

33 914
 03-07-2013, 06:55 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Keep us updated on how it goes. Someday I will probably try a Feather and see how it goes too.

45 3,955
 03-07-2013, 08:54 PM
User Info
Mike, good luck to you. i had both the Feather RG and DX using the Feather Pros and they are fine razors, but those blades were too sharp! i think i would rather use a straight! Smile

75 20,884
 03-07-2013, 09:34 PM
User Info
I'm very glad I picked up the CJB. I'd be a bit upset if I'd spent 3-5x as much on a Feather or Kai especially since I'm in no real hurry to use it again. I'll take it to my barber so he can use it on my neck & maybe even get a shave from him with it. I don't find my hands to be steady enough for an open blade & I pretty much figured that might be the case going in to this.

31 7,914
 03-08-2013, 02:58 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Well, Can't say I am in a rush.. but I don't want to give up as easily as I did the first time.

I'm not ready to quit, nor am I ready to step up to the RG or DX, but I do question the ProGuard blade. My feeling is that it might not be share enough. As I type, I recall that was my feeling the first time I tried the RG. Back then, I switched to a Pro blade. Now, I can step up to a Kai since I kept the blade I used in the Cobra Tour (which has all of three shaves on it).

I'll figure out the hand/arm positions.. it's the stalling and pressure that are the challenges.

And with only one pass, the shave isn't as close as I would want.

33 914
 03-08-2013, 09:00 AM
User Info
The stalling and snagging issue your talking about is from hesitation. It takes a smooth deliberate stroke to work its best. You'll get there, trust me.

0 372
 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I will be joining you this weekend Mike as my blades are due in today. I purchased the Feather Pro and Super Pros to give the CJB a shot. Holding the CJB in hand is much different from the Weck and Sanguine that I also own, of course the non-folding style is a large part of that. Keep us updated on your progress and if my blades do indeed come today I will do the same tomorrow.

127 2,395
 03-08-2013, 11:35 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Like Williams Warrior said, just like with a straight you don't want to put pressure but you need kind of a confident stroke (yes I know Feather blade and confident ....).

Could very well be that another blade works better, I never could get a great shave with either the guard or light blades (feather & KAI blades).

If you keep at it the shaves will improve, some days it might seem like it will never work but don't get frustrated, put it aside and try another time. The potential for really fantastic shaves is in there!

27 1,298
 03-08-2013, 11:47 AM
User Info
I'd stick with the Proguards. Just go nice and slow. Lather should be on the wet side. I find that a lanolin type lather is best. Lather both sides then shave one and related both before you do the second.
Find using only your dominate hand to do both sides the easiest to start with.
Good luck.

5 410
 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Thanks all..

Keith, you're correct..it's hesitation and if I keep a steady it doesn't seem to bind (not aggressive stroke, just steady).

I am not ready to give up. I just want to squelch any bad habits early on.

33 914
 03-08-2013, 10:10 PM
User Info
One other thing you might try is not to make a straight pass. No pun intended.
Try instead to make a bit of a sweep almost in an arc. Curving cuts work well.
Or make a slight skew type cut by holding the razor at a slight angle similar to a slant head DE. A straight cut can tent to snag but an angle works better.
Sort of like carving a ham or turkey. You don't press the blade straight down do you? Nope,, you make a bit of a slicing action and the cut goes much smoother.

0 772
 03-09-2013, 03:28 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
mycarver is right but I never dare to tell a newcomer to the Feather blades to do that, they might blame me for the results.

But once you are confident about the shave with these blades this will produce the very best result. I also blade buff with my razors and it works great especially around the chin.

27 1,298
 03-09-2013, 04:14 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
(03-08-2013, 10:10 PM)mycarver Wrote: One other thing you might try is not to make a straight pass. No pun intended.
Try instead to make a bit of a sweep almost in an arc. Curving cuts work well.

That's what I have been doing.. It wasn't intentional, just seemed the natural way to do it. Actually, I am using a combination of arc, long straight and short, whatever the section of my face accommodates.

(03-08-2013, 10:10 PM)mycarver Wrote: Or make a slight skew type cut by holding the razor at a slight angle similar to a slant head DE. A straight cut can tent to snag but an angle works better.
Sort of like carving a ham or turkey. You don't press the blade straight down do you? Nope,, you make a bit of a slicing action and the cut goes much smoother.

I get that, but that scares me. Worth mentioning that I am not trying the Feather with intent to move to traditional straights. I have a bunch of them left to me by my dad, that I have don't have the inclination to maintain.

The fear in using a slicing action is that once I switch to the non-guarded blades I'll be removing body parts left and right...

(03-09-2013, 03:28 AM)Snuff Wrote: ...I also blade buff with my razors and it works great especially around the chin.

Short staccato strokes.. yup. Using those in the tricky spots. They work well, but I think that's where I get the hesitation which leads to the stall and then it digs in.

So far I haven't cut myself.. just one or two weepers per shave.

I have a long way to go.

33 914
 03-09-2013, 04:22 AM
User Info
Long time shaving with straight razors and now I own a Feather RG non-folding.
Long time no cuts and from two days ago I show a 1 inch scratch on the left of my face. That was the Professional blade first try. It is nothing serious and even did not see any blood but there it is.

After receiving the razor I've been using a Feather Light blade for a week with excellent results but then came the surprise wile using my right hand (dominating) on the XTG pass.

I suggest to be cautious if one is not used to the extremely sharp edge of a Feather blade for it will not forgive a wrong or doubtful move.

I've ordered a cartridge of the Pro-Guard blades and hope I will be more proficient soon.

0 89
 03-09-2013, 02:23 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I used my CJB this morning, loaded with a Kai Mild Pink blade. I only did one WTG pass but suffered no nicks or weepers, then finished the shave with a DE. I did draw the blade through a cork ten times before shaving in hopes of taking the bite out of the blade and either it worked or I had extreme luck. I plan on doing two passes tomorrow as the first pass was more efficient than it usually is with a DE and I'm hoping I will only have to do a little cleanup under the chin, along the jawline and under the nose with a DE razor. FWIW I used Cade shave soap and used short, light and quick strokes being extra careful in the areas where I had to change blade angle (under the nose, jawline and neck area).

127 2,395
 03-09-2013, 07:10 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Today went well.. I skipped the shave this morning so my daughter and I could go on a breakfast date before the restaurants got crowded...

Shaved this evening after showering with the intent of shaving again tomorrow, so I was planning for a one pass to see what the result would be.

Still using the ProGuard... with Vostok, Semogue 2011 Ltd and CWS. The Vostok is new to me.. Nice menthol blast but, if anyone has hints on how to lather this stuff, let me know.

I did one pass WTG, sort of...it's more like a W&XTG and it was a fine shave. Same combination of short and arcing strokes. I had no stalls or digs and no cuts or weepers. Lathered a second time and took shorter strokes with the intent to clean things up. Again, W&XTG. Went fine and my muscle memory is starting to develop.

Rinsed and finished with menthol spiked Barbasol Pacific Rush AS balm...

An hour or so later, once my face relaxed, I was rewarded with an awesome shave. I have few spots of stubble, but overall, it's a really, really good shave. I'm not going to get cocky... Sticking with the ProGuards for a bit longer, but its nice to know I can get a decent shave with them.

33 914
 03-10-2013, 10:02 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
For my second shave I used Queen Charlotte Soap as well and didn't get an ideal lather, but it was usable. I ended up doing three passes and then cleaned up (very little needed) with an injector razor. I did get some irritated areas were either blade angle and/or pressure weren't proper, but overall still satisfied with the results. The grips necessary for the ATG pass were awkward and I probably need to go find some videos to get a better idea of how to hold the razor. I followed up the shave with some alum to see where the trouble spots were and as usual the jaw line and neck area were the most pronounced, however I also managed to get some irritation by my right ear. I think this occurred during the ATG pass trying to figure out how to hold the razor. I plan on taking a break tomorrow morning to let the irritation subside (unless it heals completely by then) but am pretty impressed with this little shaver from Korea overall.

As a side note to Queen Charlotte, I used my 30mm Whipped Dog silvertip brush and did not load for a long enough time to get the right consistency. I treat Queen Charlotte very similar to Mike's soaps in that it requires a bit of extra loading and a slow, gradual addition of water to hit the sweet spot. I have not tried the Vostok, but I imagine that it too requires about 50% more loading time than your average soap.

127 2,395
 03-21-2013, 01:26 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm about to try the Feather as well. I have the DX already and I just ordered the non folding SS. I have the Feather Pro blades and the Kai Mild that I use in my Cobra. I have some feather ProGuard blades, but I haven't tried them yet...

91 17,876
 03-21-2013, 07:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Did not realize you had a DX Ben. You need to post some of your nice pictures of it.

173 23,555
 03-21-2013, 08:02 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've had it for some time now Johnny. I used it when I first acquired it, but don't really recall my experiences with it. The results can't have been that good otherwise I'd have continued to use it. Now, with time my technique (and confidence) has much improved and I'm ready to try again...

91 17,876