02-27-2012, 09:11 AM
User Info
Well, I have finally decided to take the plunge into wet shaving. My friend Jason pointed me to BullGoose to start my journey. We talked about it last year, but I wasn't really ready...after shelling out $20 for a 4-pk of blades...AGAIN...I have decided that I have had enough.

I am a 40YO Info Tech Manager for a small municipality in Alabama. I have a beautiful wife of 17 years, two kids (9YO boy and 5YO girl) and two dogs (who might have a thing for each other, though both are girls!).

So I have watched a number of videos, and read up on a bunch of stuff. I am NOT an everyday shaver. I usually shave on Sundays and Wednesdays. I cannot grow a full beard, but I can grow a full mustache/goatee (and usually wear it for about 1/3 of each year). I do have rather sensitive skin so I usually use Nineva Sensitive for my aftershave (but I am open to new aftershaves).

I went with a Merkur 33C razor, Mitchell Wool Fat, and the Elite Eight Sampler Razor Pack (with 8 brands/45 razors). I just bought a new Nivea Aftershave, so I will use that until it is gone.

I look forward to learning a lot from you pros here, and getting back to a good shave twice a week!

0 1
 02-27-2012, 09:15 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am glad that you found us here Michael. Jump on in, the water's fine. Be sure to sign up for the Grand Opening contest. bn

45 15,955
 02-27-2012, 09:16 AM
User Info
Glad to have you here Michael and thanks for joining The Shave Nook.

You will be hooked at the Nook pp

98 12,362
 02-27-2012, 09:20 AM
User Info
Hello and welcome! Nice to have you here. T;

2 5,511
 02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
User Info

1 316
 02-27-2012, 07:04 PM
User Info

Welcome to the Nook! Glad to see a fellow southerner join the wetshaving fold. Hope you continue to enjoy the wetshaving experience and look forward to seeing you around the forum.

29 1,729
 02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
User Info
Hey from Tennessee. I wasn't a daily shaver in the old days either, but I am now. It'll get you.

9 166
 02-27-2012, 08:06 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome, Michael, and enjoy your stay. Let us know how you get on with your shaves.

2 11,211
 02-27-2012, 08:15 PM
User Info
Michael, welcome to the Nook. I wouldn't look around Phil's site too much with 2 young ones to feed and educate. Wink

2 546
 02-27-2012, 09:32 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Welcome, Michael!

I, too, have very sensitive skin and I only shave on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights.

Each one of us is unique, and your experience will be your own. In my case, however, I found the Merkur razor rather aggressive for sensitive skin and too aggressive for learning. When I switched to a mild razor (a Weishi first, then a Gillette Tech), my shaves became much easier and learning accelerated. I used that Gillette Tech almost exclusively for 3 1/2 years. Right now, I'm using an Edwin Jagger DE87, which is closer-shaving than a Tech, but less aggressive than a Merkur and very smooth.

If the Merkur works for you, however, so much the better. If you do find yourself frustrated with it, you might try something that is less aggressive.

- Murray

4 1,150