04-03-2012, 10:03 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1230985.JPG?m=1333474390]

Thanks to a good member here (thanks Tyler!) Im having the chance to try this famous Japanese classic razor : the Feather All Stainless.

I have read so many reports about this razor : some of them really good and others pretty bad,so I was exited to try it myself and find out if the razor is as good as some people claim or as bad as some other folks say it is.

[Image: P1230987.JPG?m=1333474382]

The craftsmanship of this razor is simply outstanding,but nothing new here,since I know how devoted and good are the Japanese people making things.This razor is well made,with possibly the best handle grip of all the razors that I have tried so far,including my beloved Muhle and Edwin Jagger razors.Its long enough to make people with big hands comfortable holding this razor but also,if you have medium or small hands dont feel like this is a huge razor.

[Image: P1230986.JPG?m=1333474513]

I would say it again : this is an extremely well made,well finish shaving razor,from the head (a two piece head) to the bottom of the handle.

It has a right weight (90 grams),according to my "The Biggest Looser" electronic weight :

[Image: P1230992.JPG?m=1333474748]

and it has a nice balance when its hold during the shave.Its not an Edwin and Jagger Chastworth (for me, the best baanced razor) but close enough to it.

[Image: P1230988.JPG?m=1333474520]

Its head reminds me of the Feather Portable,a great small classic razor that Feather stop its production a couple years ago and Im still wonder why,since for its price,was the of the best classic razors,or at least,It did offered quality for a reduced price.

Even when it looks like the Feather Portable,as soon as you load a blade,you know that the All Stainless has a lesser blade gap than the Portable one.

[Image: P1230989.JPG?m=1333474419]

But not all is "perfect" with this razor,I must say.This is a 180 dollars razor,with an outstanding finish and a perfect," minimalistic " presentation (wooden box),something that Ill rather put it on a shell and admire it than use.Biggrin But heck,I use razors for shaving and this one fails for me.

I don't have a really thick,coarse beard,but not also a thin,weak one.I have a regular beard with not sensitive skin.Tyler told me to use this razor with a Feather blade,a blade which I never got good results with it while using it with the Muhle/Edwin Jagger/Merkur and some Gillette razors.Anyway,I follow his instructions and I have shave twice with this razor/blade combo : Feather/Feather.

First,you need to find the good angle to cut with this razor,which is a little bit more harder than with a Edwin Jagger one.Once I found it,the shave was really smooth,smoother than I was expecting,but with a price...the razors wasn't given me the close shave that I experience with many other razors.I always do a 3 pass shave,and today and I even did a 4 pass shave,with 2 ATG passes and...stubble after I finished my shave,something I don't get with the Muhle/EJ/Merkur ones.

This razor,so far,shaves like a Super Speed (not even a Rocket UK) razor : smooth shave but stubble its left,so the 5 o'clock shadow would be there in less than 6 hours after the shave... that's happened yesterday and I'm expecting that for today.

I would try the razor with different blades during the week,before it heads back to Tyler's home.Im not expecting a dramatic change when use with a different blade than the Feather,but Ill see.

So far I wouldn't pay 180 dollars for this razor,to be honest : it doesn't works for me so far, and some of the Edwin Jagger GORGEOUS razors cost much less than this,at least 30 bucks less.

The Feather Portable is a killer when I compare it with this,and even when its not as well finish as this one,it has quality and only costed me 15 dollars...

Again,thanks a lot!! to Tyler for its generosity to let me use his Feather All Stainless razor.

86 7,123
 04-03-2012, 10:08 AM
User Info
I have a medium beard, and my Feather gives me BBS shaves with old vintage blades like Wilkinson Light Brigades and Schick Plus Platinums. I haven't tried a Jagger, but for me the Feather is as good as the PILS and iKons that I have had. It took me a little while, with repeated uses, to find the exact sweet spot angle that works. I think it's just more demanding and finicky in that respect than some of the other razors. But of course YMMV.

184 12,003
 04-03-2012, 10:11 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-03-2012, 10:08 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I have a medium beard, and my Feather gives me BBS shaves with old vintage blades like Wilkinson Light Brigades and Schick Plus Platinums. I haven't tried a Jagger, but for me the Feather is as good as the PILS and iKons that I have had. It took me a little while, with repeated uses, to find the exact sweet spot angle that works. I think it's just more demanding and finicky in that respect than some of the other razors. But of course YMMV.

Yes,as everything in shaving ,is a question of YMMV.The Portable is a killer cutting my beard when I compare it with this one,but again,its just a question of YMMV.

I haven't tried a Pils yet,maybe on the future,but I have read that its kind of a mild razor,and even when I'm not looking for aggressive razors,I like the Muhle/EJ effectiveness to cut my beard.

86 7,123
 04-03-2012, 10:11 AM
User Info
Great Post. Thanks Tieste. This is a razor that has been in my radar for some time mainly due to the appearance. I have an Ikon now and I'm very happy with it. I only wish it I had a head for it that was strictly closed(like the feather).

9 333
 04-03-2012, 10:42 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'm borrowing one from a friend to see if I like it.

116 3,804
 04-03-2012, 11:17 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
The angle does take a little getting used to. It's very different from other razors. I noticed too when I first started using it I felt like it was cutting nothing but when I was done I had a close shave it's just so smooth. It does work best with Feather Blades in my opinion.

45 3,955
 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM
User Info
Any time, Teiste. The Feather took some experimentation on blade angle, but I finally got it. I think there's a Personna and maybe an Iridium in the box too. Give those a shot and see if you can at least get a servicable shave. Blush

As for price, I guess I'm just a really big fan of Stainless Steel razors. It's probably related to my profession to be honest. Short of the iKon bulldog open combs that were released during my shaving purchase hiatus (shoot me an e-mail if you have one for sale, hiatus is over!), I've managed to land most of the Stainless present day models. Each of them have their own personality. The Feather is as elite in its fit, finish, presentation, and performance (YMMV on all of these) as any other out there. The Feather was chosen to be my daily driver while I was in Taiwan last summer and I had no regrets.

Back to the shave quality, I never really "got" the Gillette open comb models. They just didn't do it for me. However, I like many of the present day models. In the end, especially with a razor this expensive, it's good to give these a test drive before jumping in head first. It may not be your cup of tea!

0 221
 04-03-2012, 11:57 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I would agree. I think that's why so many of them show up on the various shaving forums BST.

116 3,804
 04-03-2012, 12:38 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Another excellent review Teiste. Thank you

173 23,546
 04-03-2012, 01:00 PM
User Info
Another excellent review, Teiste! Thank you for sharing. Smile
I find that razor very beautiful; aesthetically speaking, it is one of the most appealing to me.

(04-03-2012, 10:03 AM)Teiste Wrote: I have read so many reports about this brush : some of them really good and others pretty bad,so I was exited to try it myself and find out if the razor is as good as some people claim or as bad as some other folks say it is.

WOW! That's the most amazing brush that I have ever seen, my friend! Laughing1

2 5,532
 04-03-2012, 01:21 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you Teiste. Again beautiful shots.

100 12,445
 04-03-2012, 01:27 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-03-2012, 01:00 PM)oversaturn Wrote: Another excellent review, Teiste! Thank you for sharing. Smile
I find that razor very beautiful; aesthetically speaking, it is one of the most appealing to me.

(04-03-2012, 10:03 AM)Teiste Wrote: I have read so many reports about this brush : some of them really good and others pretty bad,so I was exited to try it myself and find out if the razor is as good as some people claim or as bad as some other folks say it is.

WOW! That's the most amazing brush that I have ever seen, my friend! Laughing1

All right,I got it,its not a brush! Thats expalins why Im not liking it that much!!!24Eusa_whistle

86 7,123
 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Another good review Teiste with excellent photos.

The Feather works really well for me, more so than any other razor I've used. I guess it's just down to how we are all made differently; I struggle with overly aggressive razors whereas some people love them.

As has already been said above, I believe it's a clear case of YMMV with the Feather.

32 638
 04-03-2012, 02:52 PM
User Info
I had a similar experience as Teiste. I tried a loaner for about a month and spent most of that time trying to figure out the angle for it to give me as good a shave as I got the first time I used a Superspeed. I much prefer the Feather Portable set up, which is a bit more aggressive and much less finicky. I returned mine and did not subsequently purchase one. A relatively rarity given my SRAD.

0 419
 04-03-2012, 04:04 PM
User Info
Teiste,

Thanks for a solid review as usual. The Feather has remained one of the mainstays in my razor rotation from the first time I used the razor. I have developed a fondness for stainless razors and the Feather/Feather combo is a great pairing for me with DFS or BBS each shave. As previously stated this is one that comes down to YMMV.

29 1,731
 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'm looking forward to getting it to try. Would you all say that sharp blades will work best? Feathers, Med Preps, and Yellows?

116 3,804
 04-03-2012, 04:40 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
For me, yes.

I also get good results with Super Thins and Bolzano blades.

32 638
 04-03-2012, 06:28 PM
User Info
Nice write up. I have been using my Feather Stainless for over a year straight and have no interest in other razors (and I've tried plenty of them). Surprisingly it did take a week or so to really get used to it. I'm not really sure why, but I think it might have something to do with the fact the ends of the blade are covered so I felt like I wasn't sure where exactly the blade was. Having the ends of the blade covered is an elegant touch, especially with a three piece razor where you have to grip the head to disassemble. I'm not really a believer that aggressive razors provide closer shaves, and the Feather, paired with a good sharp blade, cuts close enough. It also has a smoother feel on the face than any other razor I've tried. For me, it's simply the finest razor ever made, and while it's not cheap (I got mine used before the prices went up), it is virtually indestructible.

Aaron

30 275
 04-03-2012, 07:00 PM
User Info
(04-03-2012, 04:27 PM)Dave Wrote: I'm looking forward to getting it to try. Would you all say that sharp blades will work best? Feathers, Med Preps, and Yellows?

Feathers, Astra's, Gillette Yellows are the 3 that work for me.

i'm sure Med and Personnas and the rest of the sharp blades would do as well.

8 2,718
 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM
User Info
Great review Teiste,echos some things I've been hearing......

7 414