03-09-2013, 12:03 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Hey all,

Out of a butcher shop in Kansas City, Local Pig, comes something you might not expect, a shaving cream. The owner, who did a promotion on reddit's Wicked Edge earlier this week, said he was tired of seeing so much beef fat being wasted over the years and decided to put it to goo use. Already, I can really appreciate wanting to minimize waste from the killing of animals, so my interest was piqued. But what really hooked me were the ingredients. There are only 5 ingredients, they are:
  • Tallow
  • Coconut Oil
  • Potash lye (potassium hydroxide)
  • Water
  • Fragrance (essential oils, NOT fragrance oils)

In short, I was sold. Minimum ingredients and good intentions, I had to give it a try.

Well, my ~100g tin arrived today and I eagerly prepped for a shave. It has the consistency of a hard cream, somewhat like Castle Forbes. Using my Wet Shaving Products High Mountain White brush and loaded for 20 seconds and started face lathering.

[Image: 3J3J5lOl.jpg]
20 second of loading

My first pass, the lather was starting to disappear, I must have not worked it quite enough, but the second pass was very slick and cushioned and made up for it. Skin conditioning was excellent, as I fully expected, and the light milk and honey scent was very relaxing.

[Image: WRugEH3l.jpg]
I definitely need more time for a full review of this cream, but my initial impressions are pretty positive. Aside from a thin initial lather, which I was able to fix, I don't have anything negative to say about it.

35 1,732
 03-09-2013, 12:09 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Anthony, you have got my attention. Do they have a website?

173 23,490
 03-09-2013, 12:10 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Johnny, they have an etsy shop here where I purchased from.

35 1,732
 03-09-2013, 12:18 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Oh great, something else to chase. Tongue Thanks, Anthony - continue to keep us updated!

35 2,703
 03-09-2013, 12:29 PM
User Info
I can't see where it tells us on the Etsy site...how much cream do you get in a tin?

0 836
 03-09-2013, 12:35 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(03-09-2013, 12:29 PM)5Savages Wrote: I can't see where it tells us on the Etsy site...how much cream do you get in a tin?

I had to ask the maker directly, but he reported 3.5 oz, roughly 100g. I don't have anything to weight it myself, but the tin is full to the brim.

35 1,732
 03-09-2013, 01:04 PM
User Info
I buy sausage from there, but I never noticed any shaving cream.
I need to run back and take a look.

6 1,224
 03-09-2013, 01:18 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Oh my, I am in Hog [Image: Hop5Ns6.png] Piggy_214Piggy_214Piggy_214 Heaven. Biggrin

173 23,490
 03-09-2013, 04:10 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(03-09-2013, 01:04 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: I buy sausage from there, but I never noticed any shaving cream.
I need to run back and take a look.

I wish I had a butcher shop like them nearby. I'd be in Hog Heaven with Johnny!

35 1,732
 03-09-2013, 04:48 PM
User Info
We have some good butcher shops here but The Local Pig tries to use local and humane producers. They butcher everything, not just pork. But they do outstanding work on the pork. About the only game in town if you want authentic cured meats and sausages that just can't be mass produced. I get my lamb from one of the producers they use.

I'm excited to see how this shave cream turns out. I need to run down there this week. I haven't been there since mid February.

They do a really cool weekly deal. You sign up and they fix you up a bag of different cuts once a week. It's always kind of a surprise as to what you may get in the bag. I'm not home consistently enough to do it myself but a friend does it. It's fun going to her house when she gets the bag. We have to go to the local farmers market to get everything together to go with it for the week. She is a total food nut! She wrote a cookbook called the "Cleaner Plate Club" on how to get kids to try healthy veggies and fruits. It must work because her daughter will sit down and eat anything put in front of her.

Looking forward to see how the cream works out for you!

6 1,224
 03-09-2013, 04:57 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(03-09-2013, 04:48 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: We have some good butcher shops here but The Local Pig tries to use local and humane producers. They butcher everything, not just pork. But they do outstanding work on the pork. About the only game in town if you want authentic cured meats and sausages that just can't be mass produced. I get my lamb from one of the producers they use.

I'm excited to see how this shave cream turns out. I need to run down there this week. I haven't been there since mid February.

They do a really cool weekly deal. You sign up and they fix you up a bag of different cuts once a week. It's always kind of a surprise as to what you may get in the bag. I'm not home consistently enough to do it myself but a friend does it. It's fun going to her house when she gets the bag. We have to go to the local farmers market to get everything together to go with it for the week. She is a total food nut! She wrote a cookbook called the "Cleaner Plate Club" on how to get kids to try healthy veggies and fruits. It must work because her daughter will sit down and eat anything put in front of her.

Looking forward to see how the cream works out for you!

That sounds absolutely amazing, and knowing they try to be locally sourced and humane makes me like them even more.

35 1,732
 03-09-2013, 08:07 PM
User Info
It sounds like an establishment that needs support. I like it when they try to use the entire animal.

Please keep us posted on the soap.

32 6,308
 03-10-2013, 02:37 PM
User Info
Well I stopped by here today
[Image: GQ7uhwd.jpg]
And picked up these
[Image: peI3PaC.jpg]
Which contains only this
[Image: eN7T3Dd.jpg]
Which looks like this
[Image: HBy56dS.jpg]

Of course I also picked up some Steaks and freshly made shredded pork Tamales. After smelling the Milk n Honey cream and traditional which gives me a cherry marzipan coconut vibe. I was starving!!! A whole shop full of goodies to make you salivate.

The maker of the cream was as excited as I am about this. Tomorrows shave will give me a clue.

So off I go to grill the steaks Biggrin

Thanks Anthony for bringing this to my attention!

6 1,224
 03-10-2013, 03:17 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(03-10-2013, 02:37 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: Of course I also picked up some Steaks and freshly made shredded pork Tamales. After smelling the Milk n Honey cream and traditional which gives me a cherry marzipan coconut vibe. I was starving!!! A whole shop full of goodies to make you salivate.

The maker of the cream was as excited as I am about this. Tomorrows shave will give me a clue.

So off I go to grill the steaks Biggrin

Thanks Anthony for bringing this to my attention!

Fantastic and thank you for the additional pictures! You say the traditional has a cherry marzipan coconut vibe, eh? Now that's very intriguing. I hope you enjoy both the steaks and the Cream!

35 1,732
 03-10-2013, 07:19 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Looks pretty interesting. I have ordered a sample - like Anthony, I'm definitely interested in giving my business to people who try to operate humanely and responsibly.

On W_E, I asked him if he'd considered making a lard soap, with a name like "The Local Pig." Pork fat never seems to go to waste, I guess. Smile

10 1,858
 03-10-2013, 07:24 PM
User Info
This project has grown to become insanely passionate to me. I can't express how happy I am to finally have it in the hands of people that know what quality is.
As far as the weight question goes, I weigh every tin with a digital scale, as well as the ingredients. Each is done in grams (aside from the tins which with the press of a button is converted to ounces).
I sincerely not only welcome, but praise any feedback you have.
Thank you so much.

M.

0 1
 03-10-2013, 07:57 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I just ordered myself a tin! Can't wait to try it out. I appreciate a butcher that is humane, and doesn't let everything go to waste.

Thank you for the link!

Also, Misono, thank you ahead of time Wink.

9 408
 03-10-2013, 09:19 PM
User Info
Cool! Welcome to the forum Misono!

32 6,308
 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM
User Info
Whoa! KC soap maker? Dang... way up north. I was hoping I could swing by today and grab some, but I'm 20 miles away down in Overland Park. Looks like it would actually be more cost effective to have it shipped. Always cool to find this stuff locally.

I just noticed that it was mentioned elsewhere that the cream may be carried in some local shops. Can you point me in that direction? Any in Johnson County?

24 235
 03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-10-2013, 07:24 PM)misono Wrote: This project has grown to become insanely passionate to me. I can't express how happy I am to finally have it in the hands of people that know what quality is.
As far as the weight question goes, I weigh every tin with a digital scale, as well as the ingredients. Each is done in grams (aside from the tins which with the press of a button is converted to ounces).
I sincerely not only welcome, but praise any feedback you have.
Thank you so much.

M.

Please introduce yourself in our Introduction Section. It is always good to get acquainted with new members.

173 23,490