03-09-2013, 02:03 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Along with the movie editing software thread, I'd like to throw out ideas for still photo editing software. I have been using Photobucket but with each iteration it gets worse and is now almost unusable. I upload my photos from iPhoto from an iMac running OSX 10.6.8. Someone suggested Be Funky to me but I cannot figure out how to shrink the photo to 800 pixels to fit TSN's requirements or how to even transfer the edited photo back to TSN. I do have to admit that that was relatively easy to do in Photobucket.

So does anyone have any ideas for free downloadable software or inexpensive software that I can pick up at a computer store or on line. I am not looking for all of the bells and whistles of a Photo Shop or the like, just some basics and a few easy effects, texts, etc. Any help would be much appreciated so thanks in advance.

2 11,211
 03-09-2013, 02:26 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Try GIMP. You can do quite a lot of photo editing in iPhoto or, for simple stuff, preview.

0 132
 03-09-2013, 02:31 PM
User Info
I've used gimp in the past, but I use photoshop now.

9 2,988
 03-09-2013, 02:50 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
GIMP is very nice but it can be daunting and down right scary for a novice. I use Paintshop Pro X5, fairly powerful and a much smaller price tag than Photoshop..but it too, can be intimidating with all of the options and potential with layers and such.

Even with Paintshop on my pc I still keep Irfanview and it's whole suite of plugins installed for quick image cropping/resizing, mass file conversion and renaming and light editing...it's free and very light weight and fast.

I also used Paint.net for a while and it is very nice and fairly user friendly, it is Windows only though as it requires the .NET framework, something to consider if you're on a *nix based system.

31 1,510
 03-09-2013, 03:23 PM
User Info
Freddy,

I use Photoscape 99% of the times in my SOTD's. It has a simple interface, very intuitive, and with lots of tools (including resizing. And it is free! Biggrin

2 5,527
 03-09-2013, 03:44 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Thanks, folks. Smile I shall be checking out some of these. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 03-09-2013, 03:48 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
If you're still on a Mac Freddy, I'd recommend Seashore. it works really well and is much simpler than Gimp and it's free.

116 3,804
 03-09-2013, 04:13 PM
User Info
Imgur.com is what I use over phitobucket now. Only thing is I still haven't sorted is the image sizing.

31 7,912
 03-09-2013, 04:34 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Dave, thanks for the suggestion of Seashore. I downloaded it but cannot make heads or tails of it. I finally figured out how to get a photo over from iPhoto but the text box cannot seem to be moved and once you type something in, the words cannot be placed in a specific part of the photo. That's as far as I got. I'm still looking for something more like Photobucket when that program actually worked. It was pretty intuitive for someone like me who is quite computer illiterate.

Emanuel, thank you for the suggestion of Photoscape but it seems to be for the Windows operating system only.

Brian, I just checked out imgur.com and it seems to be just for sharing a photo; however, I can already use what we have here on TSN for that. I'm looking for just that little bit more. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

The search continues. Undecided

2 11,211
 03-09-2013, 04:54 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Freddy I had a quick look at Seashore too, following Dave's recommendation. I think I'm resigned to just using the iPhoto basic editing software. I sure would like to be able to add frames or borders and text or a watermark...

91 17,795
 03-09-2013, 05:05 PM
User Info
Freddy, are you only looking for a desktop app, or mobile?

Freddy, look into Aviary. I use their app on my iphone but I'm not sure if they have a desktop app. Aviary is the same editor that photobucket uses.

31 7,912
 03-09-2013, 05:13 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Sorry I couldn't be more help fellas. If I add text or a border, I use a couple of apps on my iPad (since that's mostly what I take a picture with). I use FX Studio Pro to add a Border and filters and Over HD to Add Text to a Photo. I think (but not sure) that Over HD will do borders as well. The only time I ever use photo editing software on a mac is just Colorstrokes which will greyscale an entire image and then you can add color back in.

116 3,804
 03-09-2013, 05:49 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Thank you so much, gentlemen, for taking the time with this. I'll keep playing around to see if I can come up with something.

Ben, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is flummoxed by this stuff.

Brian, I use my desktop almost exclusively for all photo editing and posting to TSN. Photobucket used to be pretty decent for my needs but they keep "improving" it and less of it seems to work. For example, I can now use only one of their fonts instead of all of them and I am a paying user. My e-mails have not been answered and their general on-line help does not answer my question. Sad

2 11,211