03-10-2013, 10:41 AM
User Info
Thanks to all who took part! I'll take care of you all in due time. You'll be the first to receive product when it becomes available available.

The short story is that after reading the responses and tabulating as best I could, bottle B won out "as is" for this particular product. As the majority of testers thought, so did I. I liked bottle B more, by a hair because of the additional scent complexity.

Clearly there must be at least 2 more products in the pipeline from your suggestions.

To address some concerns, but I'm not going to single anyone out...

> The moisturizing level of both bottles should have been identical yet differences were detected with bottle B being slightly more moisturizing by a hair.

> I'm always amazed at our sense of smell and how one person can smell one scent over another. My nose works the same way. But one person thought the scent of both bottles was far too mild. Another thought it so strong as to make his eyes water, he liked that in fact. I'm in the later catagory as well. This product grabs the skin and holds on IMO. Kinda like licking a flagpole when it's super cold outside.

> Yes, I know this is a pretty rugged menthol hit, and the face freeze is incredible, so that's one thing I need to address, but not with this product. I want folks to have the option of the huge freeze. Making a lesser menthol is very easy and might follow. FWIW, the monthol in this product is well within safe topical application rates. It gets the super freeze hit by working synergistically with at least one of the other ingredients.

> Yes, the scent doesn't last long, and I doubt many of my products ever will. I want them to do their job and then leave to allow the cologne of the day to take over. If I used synthetic scent I'd have an easier time of making lingering scents, but I won't do that since my products are as natural as I can make them and still get the job done. A synthetic scent simply isn't something I ever want to use. Plus as I already wrote, the scent of the day isn't my design goal. I don't make inexpensive cologne, but instead what I consider to be a true "after the shave" product. I'll let other folks make the other stuff; I have no desire whatsoever to make that.

> The medicinal scent is a byproduct of the menthol. Can't have a menthol product with a really good kick without it. It's simply impossible to add menthol in a meaningful quantity and not have it smell like menthol/medicinal. That's where the scent comes in. When the menthol scent is gone the other masking scents quickly disappear as well, by design, since they did their job and now they can leave.

> No one detected the after scent. That's good IMO and I was most concerned that it might be a turn off if detected since it's not something that most westerners are accustomed to. OK, the reveal... It's Frankincense. It's not inexpensive and it's in the product in a very meaningful quantity. I use this AS too from the same shelf I fill orders from and I wanted it there on my skin. I'm proud of having it in the product in a meaningful amount; not only in a token amount that means nothing beyond having it there only for the sake of the label. If I can add it to my bay rum I intend to. No trumpets or fanfare, it'll just be a silent label change if it happens. But the menthol will have it in the formula from day 1.

Thanks again gents!

Now more help needed...

What to call it?

I was thinking "Stopping By Woods...", with the obvious reference to the poem by Robert Frost. But my mind is open to name suggestions. You all used it and I value names you come up with.

Other names I considered:
> a variation of 80 Below, 80Below too, 82 Below
> Katahdins Razors Edge (that real portion of Mt. Katahdin is actually called the knifes edge)

32 6,308
 03-10-2013, 10:53 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Brian thank you for allowing me to test it. Both bottles were wonderful and the same quality that we've come to expect. It's just good stuff.

116 3,804
 03-10-2013, 10:55 AM
User Info
You could shorten it to Katahdin's Edge

Sent via Tapatalk 2

129 6,685
 03-10-2013, 02:47 PM
User Info
Brian,

Yes, thank you for allowing us to take part in the test. I did not detect the "Frankincense" definitely have to give it another go with this in mind.

Thanks!

-Moe

23 212
 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM
User Info
Thank you Brian!

I really appreciate the opportunity you gave me in trying your wonderful product. It will definitely wake you up! And leaves my face as soft as any product I have ever used. I would have never guessed the secret ingredient but it sure works well.

I hate to be selfish but I sure hope it available for purchase before I run out Biggrin

Thanks for going to the trouble!!!

6 1,224
 03-10-2013, 05:04 PM
User Info
Brian, thanks for sharing with us the results you tabulated from the testing. The frankincense is a definite bonus, stealthily although it may be! Winky

It's always a joy to try out what you're working on. Thanks for allowing us to be of assistance on this project.

31 7,912
 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM
User Info
If it helps, I detect it as the very last scent my nose picks up after everything else has faded away. I know it's there but if I didn't my nose wouldn't have picked it up.

32 6,308
 03-10-2013, 07:51 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Hi Brian,

How about "Mending Wall" Smile

100 12,437
 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
User Info
Wow frankincense...I picked up a citrus note, but would have not have guessed that...nice addition! Here's a name for you...Arabian Ice.

5 938
 03-12-2013, 10:37 PM
User Info
(03-12-2013, 09:27 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Wow frankincense...I picked up a citrus note, but would have not have guessed that...nice addition! Here's a name for you...Arabian Ice.

The name intrigues me.

Tom have you tried the BR yet? Just curious, not pushing. If you don't like it I'd like to know it. I learn more from folks who don't like it than from folks who do. Sometimes I can make changes; sometimes I can't.

32 6,308
 03-13-2013, 06:27 AM
User Info
(03-12-2013, 09:27 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Wow frankincense...I picked up a citrus note, but would have not have guessed that...nice addition! Here's a name for you...Arabian Ice.
Yep, I definitely thought it was orange. Maybe I just don't know what frankincense smells like.

24 235
 03-13-2013, 09:13 AM
User Info
(03-12-2013, 10:37 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:

The name intrigues me.

Tom have you tried the BR yet? Just curious, not pushing. If you don't like it I'd like to know it. I learn more from folks who don't like it than from folks who do. Sometimes I can make changes; sometimes I can't.

Brian- I've been in a lazy mode the last couple days and haven't shaved since I got back from my last trip; it is on deck for tonight though and I'll let you know how it goes.

5 938