03-10-2013, 12:55 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Yesterday when the weather finally! broke (around 03:00pm) into a beautiful Spring time day, I decided to pop out into the garden and repair 3 "small" areas in a stonewall that had be bugging me for the past few months...

Me being me (stupid), 6 hours later (09:00pm) and having completely rebuilt 2/3 of the wall I decided to call it a day. To say my body ached once I stopped and still aches now would be a slight understatement, I'm really getting too old for (hard) physical labour.

Thankfully they got the weather spot on today, has been raining all day, thus preventing me from getting back out there and rebuilding the remaining 1/3 of the wall. Fingers-crossed I will finish rebuilding the wall on Tuesday, assuming they've got the weather forecast right for that day and my body has stopped aching by then Rolleyes

[Image: UArJ5kW.jpg]

2013-03-09: Before, stonewall in back garden in need of (minor) repair

[Image: c2GnMmG.jpg]

[Image: zVIpoej.jpg]

2013-03-10: After, rebuilt stonewall in back garden

[Image: qUjTbgd.jpg]

2013-03-10: After, rebuilt stonewall in back garden

And this morning I spotted the first Crocus "Lawn Mix" of the year in our front garden...

[Image: 2Js2Dbg.jpg]

Crocus "Lawn Mix"

[Image: 21d5TWB.jpg]

Crocus "Lawn Mix"

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM
User Info
Mike wait until you reach 60. Enjoy your relatively ache free body now while you have it. Getting older really sucks!

The key is moderation, but try telling that to a brain that still thinks the body is 20 years old.

BTW, I love the HP sauce. It's even good on chips! Amazing stuff.

32 6,309
 03-10-2013, 01:18 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Here we have an answer to your problem... We call them MEXICANS... You can find them in all shapes and sizes right outside the nearest Home Depot... For $100.00 your stone wall would be complete and you could have sat there sipping Mint Julip's while contemplating where you wanted to plant the trees next weekend. Then you could go inside and get a nice pain free shave..lol Good Luck my friend. I'm 52 and quickly finding out I am no longer bullet proof either.... Like my dear old dad used to say. "Time is cruel"...

5 1,151
 03-10-2013, 01:57 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Mike, the wall is coming along beautifully but, for goodness sake, take it slowly! Even a comparatively young body like yours can take just so much and you still have youngsters at home to expend your energy on. Wink Great looking spring flowers, by the way.

2 11,211
 03-10-2013, 02:00 PM
User Info
(03-10-2013, 01:18 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Here we have an answer to your problem... We call them MEXICANS... You can find them in all shapes and sizes right outside the nearest Home Depot... For $100.00 your stone wall would be complete and you could have sat there sipping Mint Julip's while contemplating where you wanted to plant the trees next weekend. Then you could go inside and get a nice pain free shave..lol Good Luck my friend. I'm 52 and quickly finding out I am no longer bullet proof either.... Like my dear old dad used to say. "Time is cruel"...

Yep, it seems like they're the last ones in this country to be willing to put in a hard days work getting dirty.

I'm just hoping you didn't mean it the way it came out.

2 546
 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-10-2013, 01:02 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Mike wait until you reach 60. Enjoy your relatively ache free body now while you have it. Getting older really sucks!

The key is moderation, but try telling that to a brain that still thinks the body is 20 years old.

BTW, I love the HP sauce. It's even good on chips! Amazing stuff.

Hi Brian

Thanks for telling me it only gets better from now on Wink Tongue Wink

I totally agree with you, "moderation is key", but my stupid brain and perfectionist side kick in and before I know it I've ploughed too far in to go back...

Good to hear the HP Brown Sauce is proving tasting and yes it goes great with chips (no red sauce for me) -- a personal favourite of mine is a chip butty smothered with HP Brown Sauce). As you know, I near enough put it on everything and anything I eat. I'm totally addicted to the stuff and have been for 30 plus years... Just let me know if you need another bottle or two.

What can I say about the homemade BBQ Sauce, apart from "O' my god it's VERY! tasty, with a great smokey smell/taste". We tried it on some burgers and all agreed it's really! GOOD (excellent! in fact) BBQ sauce Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

(03-10-2013, 01:18 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Here we have an answer to your problem... We call them MEXICANS... You can find them in all shapes and sizes right outside the nearest Home Depot... For $100.00 your stone wall would be complete...

Hi Joe

Generally I'm not cheap, but I've always refused to pay anyone to do a job I'm capable of doing myself, plus the perfectionist (crazy person) in me will only allow me to employ someone if I know their work is top notch...

Take care, Mike

Edit: Fixed grammar.

(03-10-2013, 01:57 PM)freddy Wrote: Mike, the wall is coming along beautifully but, for goodness sake, take it slowly! Even a comparatively young body like yours can take just so much and you still have youngsters at home to expend your energy on. Wink Great looking spring flowers, by the way.

Hi Freddy

You're totally right, I should be blaming Alpha and Beta son's for my aching body and not my advancing old age Wink

Seeing those 3 Crocuses this morning did make me happy inside Biggrin

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-10-2013, 03:51 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
(03-10-2013, 02:00 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote:
(03-10-2013, 01:18 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Here we have an answer to your problem... We call them MEXICANS... You can find them in all shapes and sizes right outside the nearest Home Depot... For $100.00 your stone wall would be complete and you could have sat there sipping Mint Julip's while contemplating where you wanted to plant the trees next weekend. Then you could go inside and get a nice pain free shave..lol Good Luck my friend. I'm 52 and quickly finding out I am no longer bullet proof either.... Like my dear old dad used to say. "Time is cruel"...

Yep, it seems like they're the last ones in this country to be willing to put in a hard days work getting dirty.

I'm just hoping you didn't mean it the way it came out.

Not trying to down anyone there Bob. I work every day with a bunch of fellas from "south of the border". We are good friends and we have a good time at work. They are my most reliable workers and I wouldn't trade them for anyone else. They have taught me rudimentary Spanish. I teach them English. They come and eat at my house. I consider some whom I've known for 5 years or more some of my best friends. I have their back and they have mine... I work just as hard and get just as dirty as they do... That's why we respect each other. Only one problem.....They do call me "Old Gringo" all day.....

5 1,151
 03-10-2013, 08:33 PM
User Info
The repairs look great, Mike!

75 20,883
 03-11-2013, 05:51 AM
User Info
You have to invoke what has come to be known in my family as the "Uncle Bobby" rule: house projects are limited to 4 hour working periods at a time.

Uncle Bobby was retired when he developed the rule, so he would still have time for boating, fishing, ATVs, etc. (retired on a lake in Maine).

But I have followed that philosophy for my weekend and vacation weeks, too. The lovely bride has come to accept that after a 50 work week, burning through a weekend heads down on painting, grouting, weeding, digging just ain't going to happen.

Plus, I was recently introduced to one of my neigbor's secret weapons; Hernan the landscaper. He rebuilt a patio that was undermined by chipmunks (ie., well dressed rats) in a single afternoon and be did it for $250, materials included.

I foresee some exterior outsourcing coming this summer

8 240
 03-11-2013, 07:03 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I know all about your ordeal. I like to call it slave labor. However, its coming along very nicely.

100 12,445
 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-11-2013, 05:51 AM)Tim_McD Wrote: You have to invoke what has come to be known in my family as the "Uncle Bobby" rule: house projects are limited to 4 hour working periods at a time.

Hi

I like the sound of "Uncle Bobby" rule, but in this house it would fail miserably as it takes me about that time to get going -- drives the wife crazy, but luckily for our marriage the final outcome of any DIY project (I done to date) gets me off the hook and all my craziness is forgiven, until next time Rolleyes

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Looking good Mike. I just wish I could see my backyard. It is still covered with 20+ inches of snow.

173 23,546
 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Mike, looking good. Great to see Crocus popping up. Tulip tres have bloomed here.

1 3,507
 03-13-2013, 08:58 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-10-2013, 12:55 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Thankfully they got the weather spot on today, has been raining all day, thus preventing me from getting back out there and rebuilding the remaining 1/3 of the wall. Fingers-crossed I will finish rebuilding the wall on Tuesday, assuming they've got the weather forecast right for that day and my body has stopped aching by then Rolleyes

So yesterday I managed to get out the back and rebuild the remaining 1/3 of the stonewall, took about 5 hours as I realigned that section of wall, which meant a fair bit of digging. Unfortunately I couldn't complete it 100% as I ran out of stones, need to pickup about a dozen "flat" (25mm to 50mm thick) stones to finish off the top of the wall in a couple of small areas.

Thankfully the body doesn't feel too bad today...

[Image: zeLazJQ.jpg]

[Image: 02LSuoo.jpg]

2013-03-13: After, remaining 1/3 of stonewall in back garden rebuilt

[Image: KvwXg4m.jpg]

[Image: IVQ3CnR.jpg]

[Image: U4j1I7t.jpg]

[Image: oDST5FO.jpg]

23 1,872
 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM
User Info
It's good to see grass, even if it isn't ours.

We had springlike weather last week, now we're back into the deepfreeze; typical end of winter in Maine. I've been letting the guinea fowl out during the day and they've been loving it. Tomorrow we're going to get hammered with more snow and a day later more again. So they'll be confined to the coop for another week. They want to be out but if the ground is snow covered they don't see it as anything to walk or land on, so they'd fly into the trees and stay there until they see ground enough to come down. That could be weeks. Not a good thing.

32 6,309
 03-19-2013, 08:59 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-13-2013, 08:58 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Unfortunately I couldn't complete it 100% as I ran out of stones, need to pickup about a dozen "flat" (25mm to 50mm thick) stones to finish off the top of the wall in a couple of small areas.

Saturday I managed to pick up the few "flat" stones I needed to finish rebuilding the wall...

Click for full size image...

[Image: OVBuQ90.jpg]

2013-03-03: Back Garden (prior to rebuilding stonewall)

Click for full size image...

[Image: AR0DEEQ.jpg]

2013-03-17: Back Garden (stonewall rebuilt)

Brian, last Friday (15th March) was gorgeous here, sunny with a high of 72°F, when I woke early Saturday morning it was still 54°F, then from Saturday midday onward it has struggled to get above 32°C...

23 1,872
 03-30-2013, 03:17 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Yesterday in the back garden...

[Image: 8Eg7vRu.jpg]

Beta son in charge of (repair) reseeding in front of rebuilt stonewall

[Image: cTD7HEx.jpg]

Beta son in charge of (repair) reseeding in front of rebuilt stonewall

23 1,872
 03-30-2013, 03:28 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Mike, I love following your family and you on these garden adventures. Thank you so much for being willing to share. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 03-30-2013, 06:03 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-30-2013, 03:28 PM)freddy Wrote: Mike, I love following your family and you on these garden adventures. Thank you so much for being willing to share. Thumbsup

Hi Freddy

As always you're too kind Smile

Hopefully I don't bore too many people with these kind of posts in here...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-31-2013, 04:23 AM
User Info
Mike,
Where's all the snow? !?

Not boring me with the pics. Love to see the flowers yard work and kids learning a love of gardening.

Plus all the pics simply.brighten my day.

Phil

7 363