03-10-2013, 05:51 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
After the test between the Silver Blue and the 7 O'Clock Black, it was suggested I compare the Silver Blue to the 7 O'Clock Blue. So I set up the same test as last time using the Merkur OC head for both razors and shaved half my face/neck with each blade.

Both blades are made by the same Russian company. The 7 O'Clock has the word Platinum on the label but I am not sure if it's a coating or blended into the steel.

I did the test shaves over two days and switched which blade I used on each side of my face so both blades were experienced on the left and the right. It was hard to tell them apart. I am not sure why they would make two blades this much alike. Huh

I feel the Silver Blue is a bit sharper and the 7 O'Clock a bit smoother. My beard is coarse so I appreciate the Silver Blues a tiny bit more, but I would be happy to shave with either one, but YMMV. Wink

Anyway, I will make the summary short: They are so close to each other that if you didn't know which one you were using it would be very hard to tell them apart.

16 542
 03-10-2013, 06:00 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for the info. Looks like the Silver Blues are a good replacement for the Gillette 7' O Clock Dark Blues.

45 3,955
 03-10-2013, 06:55 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Yes, well that's a good thing, then, if they are interchangeable. Another shaveapocalypse averted.

0 1,621
 03-11-2013, 02:53 PM
User Info
Thanks for info. I have a 5 pack of 7o clock blues sitting around at home. I like the Gillette Silver Blues, and I wasn't sure what to expect of the 7o clock blues. Since you say it's a bit smoother, it may be more to my liking.

67 349
 03-11-2013, 03:05 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(03-11-2013, 02:53 PM)Silence! Wrote: Thanks for info. I have a 5 pack of 7o clock blues sitting around at home. I like the Gillette Silver Blues, and I wasn't sure what to expect of the 7o clock blues. Since you say it's a bit smoother, it may be more to my liking.

Don't get too attached to the Dark Blues you won't be able to find them now.

45 3,955
 03-12-2013, 12:44 AM
User Info
Still have 99 7 O'Clock Blue SP's in my den Thumbup

I use them primarily in my aggressive razors like my R41 2011, Merkur Futur, Tradere OC and Joris Palladium as well as sometimes in my Ikon OC and Ikon SB.

Polsilver SI may be the obvious substitute and over taker, if I ever run out of the SP Blues. But 99 blades in combination with 100 Feather blades and 100 Polsilver SI blades may last me a total of 5-6 years before I need to purchase new blades, and by that time I hope they have started reproduction of the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue SP blades yet again Biggrin

22 5,043