03-11-2013, 07:00 AM
User Info
I just found this in an antique shop my travels. I've certainly seen MMs often enough but I've never seen one in a case like this. Has anyone seen one of these before? Is in uncommon? Of any significant value? Or a dime a dozen?

Now to put a blade in it and see what happens!

Attached Files Image(s)

2 202
 03-11-2013, 10:25 AM
User Info
IMO that's one of the nicest cases. According to Waits Compendium they show up in '33/'34. They were made in a few colors.

More info' than that I don't have.

I do have speculation. When bakelite was new it was quite a thing. Jewelry was even made out of it. I don't pay extra for a case because the razor comes out of it and the case just takes up space. But if I liked cases I personally would pay extra for that one. Would other folks? I simply don't know. I bet back in the '30s it would have cost a bit more to get that case, but I don't know that; it's speculation. But they did put some time into them. A plastic case with a metal hinge? Pretty cool!

32 6,308
 03-11-2013, 10:36 AM
User Info
I have that case in red/maroon. The green really looks nice. It's in great condition.

31 7,912
 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM
User Info
Nice find...they are great shavers. The case is nice, but they are fairly common and come up on eBay quite often.

5 938
 03-11-2013, 11:37 AM
User Info
That's nice. I have seen those cases before but don't have one.

I have a yellow clam shell type case for mine.

18 567
 03-11-2013, 11:57 AM
User Info
What is the best SE blade available? I found Gems and am really happy with the results. Are there any better?

2 202
 03-11-2013, 12:10 PM
User Info
The GEMs from the pharmacy are good but expensive. If they're from CVS they're also carbon steel, but many think they are sharper than what I'm about to tell you about.

EMS, Connaught, Razor Blades & more, and Ted Pella (121-3) have GEM SS ptfe blades in bulk. IMO they are the best becasue of the SS and no after the shave care required. Lots of us get over 10 shaves per blade, some blades many more shaves. The last load I bought from Ted Pella cost me $.25 per blade shipped, but rumor has it that Connaught beats that price. If you buy from EMS you want the SS ptfe coated triple facet or extra sharp or whatever they call them. The other blades aren't sharp enough for shaving.

32 6,308