03-11-2013, 07:53 AM
User Info
A few months ago, many of the fine gents on reddit's /r/wicked_edge were kind enough to test out a batch of shaving soap for me, and the responses were extremely helpful. I've now perfected my formula and am preparing to sell it; launch is one week from today! I will be offering six initial scents, with another to be released two days later (and described below). You can check out my site at http://www.barristerandmann.com, which has explanations of what ingredients I use in the soap and what purpose each one serves. I'm afraid that I will not yet be able to offer samples (just not enough time to make them at the moment), but that should be rectified within a few weeks. Thanks everyone!

The offered scents will be as follows:

Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood (the original demo fragrance, though slightly altered): Top notes of lime are softened by notes of earthy lavender and deep cedarwood. An invigorating, masculine scent.

Bay Rum: This is a classic bay rum scent consisting of West Indian Bay (none of that cooking bay stuff), sweet orange, real blackstrap rum, benzoin (a warm, vanilla-like scent), and just a hint of cassia cinnamon, which provides a pleasant warmth. A favorite for winter, but great for any time of year. Note that my bay rum is entirely clove-free.

Seville: A traditional barbershop scent, this soap contains bergamot, lemon, patchouli, oakmoss, lavender, and rosemary. A fresh, clean fragrance that goes with pretty much anything. Please note that my bergamot essential oil has been treated to remove the photosensitizing qualities (bergaptene).

Unscented: Nothing other than its components. May have a mild "sheepy" smell for the first few days as a result of its high lanolin content, but this should dissipate after a bit of use.

Vetiver/Heather/Clary Sage: A floral, but still deeply earthy scent that calls to mind the fragrance houses of Jermyn St., St. James, and Savile Row.

Winter Spice (limited release because winter is nearly over): A cozy, rich fragrance with top notes of sweet orange and amaretto bolstered by the warmth of cinnamon. Perfect for that cold winter's night when you just have to shave.

Ferox (the scent to be released later, on March 20): A bright, springly, invigorating combination of grapefruit, sage, thyme, rosemary, tea tree, and vetiver.

The ingredients of the soap (minus any essential oils or fragrance oils [all of which are phthalate-free]) are: Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Aqua, Glycerin, Potassium Ricinoleate, Sodium Ricinoleate, Essential Oil, Coconut Milk, Potassium Kokum Butterate, Sodium Kokum Butterate, Unrefined Shea Butter, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Cocoate, Lanolin, Allantoin, Silk Protein, Vitamin E Tocopherol.

Price will be between $9 and $12 per puck, depending on the fragrance. Unscented will be $9, Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood, Seville, Bay Rum and Winter Spice will be $10, Vetiver/Heather/Clary Sage will be $11, and Ferox will be $12.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

5 407
 03-11-2013, 08:03 AM
User Info
Congrats on getting up and running. I wish you great success.

31 7,892
 03-11-2013, 08:06 AM
User Info
Thank you very much.

5 407
 03-11-2013, 08:12 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
How exciting ... congratulations! The countdown clock on the website is a nice touch! Look forward to seeing the release of these products.

102 17,572
 03-11-2013, 08:28 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Will - this is exciting news and I wish you best of luck with your launch! I look forward to trying out your products soon.

35 2,703
 03-11-2013, 08:55 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
"Made with awesome." (I like that!) I've shaved with some other awesome before, so looking forward to yours. Smile

17 290
 03-11-2013, 10:17 AM
User Info
Congrats and hey! you're in Boston! The Hub of the Soap Universe!

72 1,405
 03-11-2013, 10:24 AM
User Info
(03-11-2013, 08:12 AM)Agravic Wrote: How exciting ... congratulations! The countdown clock on the website is a nice touch! Look forward to seeing the release of these products.

Thank you! It was actually my girlfriend's idea; she's full of brilliant things like that.

To everyone else, thanks! Very excited to finally get the whole thing moving. Smile

5 407
 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM
User Info
I wish you and your company the best of luck.

98 12,353
 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
If they perform half as good as they sound, you'll be on a winner!

I like the ingredients list and the scents all sound very appealing, I'm looking forward to trying some!

91 17,610
 03-17-2013, 02:09 PM
User Info
Wishing you the best on the launch of the soaps. Ah , and they are da' fat! You're on my short list!

0 205
 03-17-2013, 02:33 PM
User Info
Congrats! I look forward to trying the Ferox to start with

31 1,800
 03-17-2013, 02:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Good luck with your new adventure.

173 23,288
 03-17-2013, 09:00 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am looking forward to the release . Good luck!

45 15,936
 03-17-2013, 09:43 PM
User Info