03-11-2013, 08:25 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
[Image: Zp5TaMm.jpg]

A friend and Nook member recently sent me a generous gift of a puck of Haslinger mitSchafmilch & Lanolin. Yesterday, I finally got around to trying it out and was amazed at how this soap exploded into a thick, creamy and slick lather. Unfortunately, that first shave later revealed what I've never experienced before - a possible sensitivity to lanolin! Sad No itching thank goodness but definite red patches. The only other soap I own that I know contains lanolin is MWF and although I rarely use it (yes, please spare me your ridicule Rolleyes), I don't recall ever having the same reaction.

So, Lanolin experts, what's the deal? Is there an ingredient cocktail that is at work with this soap or does lanolin and its effects vary from person to person and formula to formula? I think I can anticipate the answer...

Meanwhile, I'm thinking about revisiting the Haslinger anyway because of its awesome lather!

35 2,703
 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've had some lanolin soaps bother me, but not MWF. Maybe it has to do with the concentration of lanolin, or maybe it is one of the other ingredients. Musgo Real has lanolin but I cannot use it.

173 23,546
 03-11-2013, 09:00 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have only tried two different products that I had reactions to. One is Musgo Real original cream and the other is La Toja shave stick (newest formula). When I used those items in rotation I wrote off the irritation as a bad shave or possible brush irritation, but the way I found out it was the cream/stick was by using them several days in a row while rotating my brushes and razors. I don't know specifically what caused the irritation, but I do know that there are too many other great options out there to settle, so use your Haslinger for another day or two with different hardware and see if you still get the same results.

127 2,390
 03-11-2013, 09:06 AM
User Info
It can be lanolin, yes. But i can be any of the other components of the soap.

Fragrance components, for example, are frequently allergenic. Allergy to those components is somewhat common - relatively more common than lanolin allergy, for sure.

2 5,532
 03-11-2013, 09:15 AM
User Info
The lanolin in MWF is on the low side and I suspect this soap has a greater concentration of it.

0 372
 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM
User Info
Billy, i use pure lanolin mixed with my shea butter and have no reaction. You could get yourself a small jar of pure lanolin to see if it is indeed the lanolin or some other ingredients in the soap. i would surmise it is one of the other synthetic ingredients. Good luck. If you don't really like the lanolin, it is a great skin moisturizer your family can use on their hands and feet.

75 20,883
 03-11-2013, 09:22 AM
User Info
Billy

I have tried other Haslinger soaps without any problem (and they are great), so if they use the same base ingredients, then maybe it is something specific to your particular soap. In any case, I encourage you to try other Haslinger products.

15 316
 03-11-2013, 09:38 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Same thing happened to me. Had a pretty bad reaction, really red and itchy and dry.

PIF'd mine to my buddy Mark.

13 599
 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM
User Info
(03-11-2013, 09:16 AM)celestino Wrote: i use pure lanolin mixed with my shea butter
celestino - how do you use this?

7 1,625
 03-11-2013, 09:57 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks, Guys. I'll have to play with this some more but I'm usually iron clad with respect to sensitivities, thus my surprise. A glance at this Haslinger's label has lanolin as the 9th ingredient, so it seems it's not an overly high % of the makeup. Come to think of it, Musgo Real has given me a similar, if not as intense, reaction so it might be a decent comparison. In the end, there are many other choices - including the other great Haslingers I've used - but it's good to know what we're working with at times.

35 2,703
 03-11-2013, 12:14 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've been interested in that soap. Haslinger Soaps perform well and this one looks promising.

45 3,955
 03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
User Info
Lanolin does not irritate me but this soap does and it's unfortunate because this is unquestionably the best shave soap I have ever used. It doesn't bother me during the shave but hours later my skin is itchy.

15 762
 03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(03-11-2013, 12:43 PM)guildx500 Wrote: Lanolin does not irritate me but this soap does and it's saddening because this is unquestionably the best shave soap I have ever used. It doesn't bother me during the shave but hours later my skin is itchy.

Unquestionably superb soap and my experience was similar. No itching (maybe my AS did its job) but about an hour later, I looked in the mirror to find redness. Undecided

35 2,703
 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM
User Info
(03-11-2013, 09:06 AM)oversaturn Wrote: It can be lanolin, yes. But i can be any of the other components of the soap.

Fragrance components, for example, are frequently allergenic. Allergy to those components is somewhat common - relatively more common than lanolin allergy, for sure.

+1. I had the same problem with MWF. I'm generally not sensitive to lanolin, but MWF leaves me with a burning feeling for days. La Toja stick similarly cause uncomfortable "tingles" well after I'm done shaving.

0 386
 03-11-2013, 05:27 PM
User Info
While unfortunate, the good news is that there's plenty of soaps without lanolin.

Wonder if you can buy pure lanolin and isolate it to see if it's the lanolin or just Haslinger's?

9 2,988
 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM
User Info
If you guys want to try pure lanolin to see if it irritates you, then this one is very good:
http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Lanolin-...B000I1OYNK

* Marius,
i use this lanolin with my shea butter. i take a bit of each, a larger proportion of shea butter than lanolin and emulify them in my palms and apply to my neck/face/head. It seems to be leaving my skin softer than just with the shea butter. However, it could vary from person to person.

75 20,883
 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM
User Info
all 3 Godrej creams and old omega do contains lanolin,I have no problems with lanolin,many people have allergies to lanolin.

0 162
 03-12-2013, 12:21 AM
User Info
thank you celestino - i will try that.

7 1,625
 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(03-11-2013, 05:27 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: While unfortunate, the good news is that there's plenty of soaps without lanolin.

Wonder if you can buy pure lanolin and isolate it to see if it's the lanolin or just Haslinger's?

Go into a pharmacist and ask for "anhydrous lanolin": a waxy, waterproof substance that is the base for lots of lanolin products. The lanolin cream available in a tube you often see is whipped up with water and air; anhydrous lanolin is the real deal, and smells like it too. There are two uses I know for it besides: the first is an unsurpassed barrier for baby's bottom and a nappy-rash preventative. The second is what what once used to coat linen fishing line so it floated on water, useful for specific types of fishing. This was once the preferred method for blackfish (grivella tricuspidata) fishing here in NSW.

0 1,625