02-27-2012, 09:13 AM
User Info
I have long used Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil soap (MR GLO) as my standard pre-shave: wash beard at sink with this, rinse with a splash, and then apply lather worked up from a shaving soap or shaving cream. However, some guys find that their skin reacts badly with MR GLO (perhaps due to the lime component) and we also hit a stretch when MR GLO was unavailable, so I did some exploration of alternatives.

I did find that Ach. Brito Glyce Lime soap is the same stuff as MR GLO at about one-third the price (but shipping from Portugal). And at the same shop I found Confiança Veleiro Pre-Shave Exfoliating Soap. I've been using this lately, and I'm liking it more each time I use it. Innocuous fragrance---think "soap"---and effective as a pre-shave. I'll have to try alternate days with this and MR GLO to compare, but I suspect the differences will not be great.

Other alternatives to MR GLO are any high-glycerine face soap, but I enjoy exploring the soaps specifically designed as pre-shave soaps.

0 101
 02-27-2012, 09:20 AM
User Info
I must say that I never tried MR. GLO, but I've tried Veleiro pre-shave soap and like it a lot!
I also like the rest of the Veleiro line, it is very good - particularly the shaving cream.

That is a great shop, always great service - and Miguel, the owner, is a true gentlemen.

2 5,511
 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
  • Madail
  • Portugal
User Info
Hello my friends, i'm sorry for stepping in so late, but just seen this, and i couldn't let it pass without saying Thank You for the kindness.

The Veleiro exfoliating soap is on my daily goodies Wink

0 49
 08-15-2012, 02:27 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
This is a topic of interest for me as it's an avenue that I have been exploring lately.

So what exactly is the difference between a facial soap and a pre-shave soap? Aren't they similar?

7 405