03-11-2013, 09:17 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
First, a BIG! thank you to Teiste for sending me this shaving brushes to try, review.

Second, you can read Teiste's review on this shaving brush (and gaze at much nicer photos) HERE...

[Image: vtDEVbN.jpg]

Simpsons Classic 1 Best Badger

Brush spec's:
  • Overall height 82mm
  • Handle 39mm
  • Loft 43mm
  • Knot 22mm (Best badger)
Before writing this review I used the brush seven consecutive times -- two with "soft" shaving soap, two with "hard" shaving soap and three with shaving creams.

Please keep in mind I only face lather -- painting strokes are my preferred method of building up and applying lather.

While the Classic 1 has the same overall height as the Case, is 5mm overall shorter than the Berkeley 46, it feels bigger and outperforms both of those (very) good Simpsons shaving brushes in my mind (opinion). Let me try to explain why I believe that and possibly some of the reasons behind why I've seen a few others rave about the Classic 1:
  • All three of them share similar handle heights, but where the Classic 1 outshines the other two in the handle stakes department (as far as I'm concerned), is in handle width and positioning of the raised ridge running around the handle.
  • The greater girth of the handle makes it easier to grip and in turn more comfortable to hold.
  • The raised ridge running around the handle is 3mm lower than the Case, meaning the raised ridge is now low enough not to interfere with gripping the handle, thus I didn't experience the problem of my fingers digging into the "raised" detail.
  • All in all the handle is comfortable to hold and use, plus I think it's elegantly clean to look at.
  • Now we come to the 22mm knot. Wow! The knot may only be the next size up (compared to the Berkeley 46), but add in the greater hair density, you end up with a much bigger feeling knot and are treated to a more luxurious experience.
  • Though it may seem counter intuitive considering loft height is near enough identical to the Berkeley 46, the greater hair density and larger knot size doesn't appear to have a negative effect on flow through, in fact I would go as far as saying, flow through seems to be a little bit better -- though it's quite possible the feeling of a bigger knot, coupled with a more luxurious experience could simply be playing tricks on me...
Simpsons Best Badger hair continues to impress me, individual hairs are fine, exhibit good flex and tips are soft to velvety soft.

This Classic 1 is filled with very good Best Badger hair, three distinct colour bands, tips are creamy white and velvety soft to the touch.

The Classic 1 knot handles anything and everything you throw at with aplomb eg
  • Zero problem picking up shaving creams to "hard" shaving soaps, then moving on effortlessly to build up lather with ease.
  • With its "short" loft and densely packed knot, backbone isn't lacking and the flexible wall of badger hair feeling is there.
  • Even though the brush has (very) good backbone and a densely packed knot, lather release (flow through) and placement is excellent -- this brush isn't a lather log.
  • When painting strokes are employed, no scratch or scritch is present, instead you're treated to a flexible wall of velvety soft badger hairs gliding across the skin. Very! nice.
  • Switching to circular motions, the flexible hairs open up nicely and you're treated to a gentle scrubbing/massage feeling. Again, very! nice.

[Image: 4S3a9PT.jpg]

[Image: qZ6wpdE.jpg]

Q. Would I recommend, buy, this shaving brush?

A. Yes to both, without hesitation.

Q. Will I buy this shaving brush?

A. Yes! as this experience has only confirmed, surpassed, what I was hoping the Classic 1 would be. Before trying it, it was on my shaving brush "Wish List" which I've whittled down to "must have" (in a first world problem kind of way). The Classic 1 is most definitely staying on that list.

23 1,872
 03-11-2013, 09:26 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review!

I have the CL1 in Manchurian. It fits in the Simpsons travel case and is my Holy Grail travel brush!

91 17,795
 03-11-2013, 09:33 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thank you for the very thorough review.

45 3,955
 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Yes, excellent review there, Mike; covers all the important areas. I have the 2 in Best and it's superb. The 1, as Ben points out, fits neatly into the Simpson Travel Tube. Isn't it a great looking brush though? Nothing superfluous; understated elegance and presence.

0 1,620
 03-11-2013, 09:47 PM
User Info
Mike, thank you for sharing this great review of the Simpson's classic. The pictures are nice too.

63 2,128
 03-12-2013, 12:07 AM
User Info
Great review - thanks Smile

Unfortunately my absolutely minimum for handle height in a shaving brush is 42-43 mm, and that is almost already going too short unless it's a real 'fattie', so this Classic from Simpson will never be a part of my collection.

22 5,043
 03-12-2013, 12:30 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(03-12-2013, 12:07 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Great review - thanks Smile

Unfortunately my absolutely minimum for handle height in a shaving brush is 42-43 mm, and that is almost already going too short unless it's a real 'fattie', so this Classic from Simpson will never be a part of my collection.

How about the Classic 2 then?

0 1,620
 03-12-2013, 03:54 AM
User Info
I have the Classic 2 and I love it! It's still taking off but this morning it lathered up Cella very nicely!

They say the Classic's are "Chubby 0", perhaps for hair density. Never tried a Chubby, but got a Duke 3 and the Classic (2) reminds me of it, somehow...

0 189
 03-12-2013, 04:30 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Duke isn't packed as densely, but has a taller loft. Horses for courses. No, make that badgers for...umm, something.

0 1,620
 03-12-2013, 05:23 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Here is my CL1...

91 17,795
 03-12-2013, 06:19 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Mike , you truly make excepcional reviews , my friend !

Yes , Im glad I have a Classic 1 and I totally recommend it to everyone who is looking for a small , facelathering shaving brush.I also have tried this brush with super badger two band and Manchurian and still thinking that the best option is the cheaper and the "best".Biggrin

I cant see myself getting a Classic 2 , but hey , never knows.If I would have to stick to 3 Simpson brushes would be this one , the Duke 3 and the Colonel 2XL so far.

Thanks again for this review , my friend.

86 7,123
 03-12-2013, 06:24 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-11-2013, 09:39 PM)Shaun Wrote: Isn't it a great looking brush though? Nothing superfluous; understated elegance and presence.

Hi Shaun

I think it has classically simple good looks and its height to width ratio is proportionally pleasing...

It reminds me somewhat of a slightly scaled down Rooney Style 1 / Size 1 -- which I so happen to personally find one of the best looking and comfy shaving brush handles to use.

Take care, Mike

(03-12-2013, 05:23 AM)ben74 Wrote: Here is my CL1...

Hi Ben

That is a beautiful looking shaving brush Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

Gentleman, thank you for the far too kind words Blush

23 1,872
 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM
User Info
Excellent review.

1 2,827
 06-22-2013, 05:48 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-11-2013, 09:17 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Q. Will I buy this shaving brush?

A. Yes! as this experience has only confirmed, surpassed, what I was hoping the Classic 1 would be. Before trying it, it was on my shaving brush "Wish List" which I've whittled down to "must have" (in a first world problem kind of way). The Classic 1 is most definitely staying on that list.

A big! thank you to Phil (aka Mr BullGoose) for indulging my OCPD and taking the time to hand pick me the below Simpsons Classic 1 from his stock. Thank you Sir! Cheers

[Image: 0ZML3gS.jpg]

2013-06-20: Simpsons Classic 1 Best Badger

[Image: pF9CSRG.jpg]

[Image: KhW41C1.jpg]

[Image: Kd6b5cV.jpg]

2013-06-21: Simpsons Classic 1 Best Badger (post bloom)

[Image: EytBLK2.jpg]

[Image: GHWh20v.jpg]

23 1,872
 06-22-2013, 08:13 PM
User Info
Cool! Thanks for the great review. Maybe I need another face lathering badger.

32 6,308
 06-25-2013, 11:42 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-22-2013, 08:13 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Cool! Thanks for the great review. Maybe I need another face lathering badger.

Hi Brian

Thank you Smile

If you would like to try this top-shelf face lathering shave brush before parting with your hard earned shekels, give me a few weeks with it, then I will happily send it to you...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
A great read Mike!
Thank you for putting this review together for us all Cool

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

9 1,684
 06-25-2013, 02:34 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Great review Mike. Smile

32 638
 06-25-2013, 06:54 PM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
Great pics and review Mike....The Classic 1 & 2 are some of my favorite Simpsons and are face lathering, soap eating and cream slathering wonders of a brush. I own them both in Best, one Classic 2 bespoke with 3 band Super Badger and another bespoke Classic 1 Briar/Manchurian Badger. All with different characteristics as far as the face feel/ hair grades but all wonderful in their own right.

45 708
 06-27-2013, 09:52 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-25-2013, 06:54 PM)GMofmiami Wrote: ... The Classic 1 & 2 are some of my favorite Simpsons and are face lathering, soap eating and cream slathering wonders of a brush. I own them both in Best, one Classic 2 bespoke with 3 band Super Badger and another bespoke Classic 1 Briar/Manchurian Badger...

Hi Greg

Thank you Smile

Any chance you could post a photo or two showing off your collection of Classics?

And if you ever need a second opinion on the "bespoke Classic 1 Briar/Manchurian Badger" I'm your man Biggrin

Take care, Mike

(06-25-2013, 01:44 PM)gijames Wrote: A great read Mike!
Thank you for putting this review together for us all Cool

(06-25-2013, 02:34 PM)ajc347 Wrote: Great review Mike. Smile

James and Andy, thank you for the kind words Blush

In all honesty the Classic (1) is a pretty amazing face lathering shaving brush, it may be on the small side (for most people), but the knot makes it feel a lot! bigger than it is, plus the handle is extremely comfortable to hold and use...

Side note: From new the Best badger hair had a tiny amount of scritch (when circular motions were used), but by the third use that tiny amount of scritch had completely disappeared...

23 1,872