03-12-2013, 08:54 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
My buddy, Regularfella, who got me started in WETSHAVING was discussing with me a while back brushes, soaps and creams. His thoughts on brushes made sense to me and I thought I'd share them to stir up some discussion. He had a theory that the parts of the world where shavers used creams and softer soaps generally used badger brushes and the area that used soaps and harder soaps used boar. This is because the stiffer boar can load more hard soap due to the backbone of the bristles and the fact that the bristles split and can grab more soap whereas the softer creams can easily load up the softer badger brush. Therefore, boars seem more popular in Italy and Turkey where soaps and sticks dominant and badgers dominate in England and Europe and India where creams are preferred. What do y'all think?

2 334
 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Well , thats an interesting thought.However , in Italy the soaps are usually very soft and the boar brushes are more available.In India have plenty of shaving creams , but I dont think that many people can afford badger brushes there.
And the idea that boar brushes are only for hard soaps and badger for shaving creams , can be a little bit misleading , since I have used boars with plenty of creams and they work fantastic , as well as badger brushes with soaps.The barbers in many places over Europe use boar brushes and shaving creams , since they're cheap and very efficient making lather with creams.

86 7,124
 03-12-2013, 09:59 AM
User Info
You could start a survey and find an answer with real numbers. I'm not sure if there's enough Indian people here though, and chances are I'm the only Italian :p

0 128
 03-12-2013, 10:02 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I tend to agree with Teiste's comments ... I think affordability and availability are more pertinent variables rather than type of lathering product (soap vs cream) when it comes to prevalence of hair type for brushes in different regions of the world.

102 17,672
 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-12-2013, 09:59 AM)MrDentini Wrote: You could start a survey and find an answer with real numbers. I'm not sure if there's enough Indian people here though, and chances are I'm the only Italian :p

I'm Italian at heart , does that count? Forza Roma !!!Biggrin

I think that in India the boar brushes are the most available ones , for what I understand.

86 7,124
 03-12-2013, 10:09 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well Marco, I am Italian at heart. I would love to come spend a month or two in Italy. So many wonderful places I would like to see.

Back to the brush theory. I have one badger, three boar/badger mixed, and the rest are all boar. I use hard soaps, soft Italian soaps, and several creams from tubes. And I know I am in the minority, but I prefer a good boar any day of the week with all of them.

173 23,558
 03-12-2013, 10:22 AM
User Info
I think you can handle just fine any "mode" of product with any type of brush. I find the idea that a nice, soft (not floppy) badger can't load enough hard soap is not true. I think a badger "scrapes" up just as well as a boar. Maybe (a) whatever a badger brush lacks in "scrapeability" it makes up for in volume and (b) the fact that a badger holds more water helps with "sudsy"uping the soap more than a boar. Certainly enough to make it a wash between a boar and badger hair.

I'm making up all sort of new words here!

72 1,407
 03-12-2013, 11:06 AM
  • max1ci6
  • Sirolo AN, Italy
User Info
(03-12-2013, 09:59 AM)MrDentini Wrote: You could start a survey and find an answer with real numbers. I'm not sure if there's enough Indian people here though, and chances are I'm the only Italian :p

+1 Smile

0 882
 03-12-2013, 11:56 AM
User Info
(03-12-2013, 10:22 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I think you can handle just fine any "mode" of product with any type of brush. I find the idea that a nice, soft (not floppy) badger can't load enough hard soap is not true. I think a badger "scrapes" up just as well as a boar. Maybe (a) whatever a badger brush lacks in "scrapeability" it makes up for in volume and (b) the fact that a badger holds more water helps with "sudsy"uping the soap more than a boar. Certainly enough to make it a wash between a boar and badger hair.

I'm making up all sort of new words here!

I agree. I never deliberately mate any brush to any type of soap. The closest I'll come is to use a smaller brush with less splay in my MdC jars because I dislike the mess that spills over until I get a divot in the soap.

edit: pressed for time I didn't proofread at all. Bad Brian!

32 6,312
 03-12-2013, 12:02 PM
User Info
I hope I'm not straying too far off topic when I say that I sometimes mate my brush to the soap or cream I am using, tending to use Pure or Best badger brushes with the hard soaps and my more expensive brushes, including the old Manchurians and the Rooney Finests, with my soft creams. Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but I don't want to wear out the better brushes too quickly.

185 12,010
 03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
User Info
I have only been wet shaving since Nov 2012. My first brush was a Van der Hagen Luxury badger brush. It doesn't work very well with hard soaps. Aside from the shedding it does well with true creams. But I hate the shedding and I have stopped using it.

My next purchase was a Wet Shave Products Prince in Silver Tip. My most recent purchase was an Omega Boar brush. Both of these work really well on hard soaps and softer "Italian" style soft soaps. Since the acquisition of these brushes I have gravitated more to hard and soft soaps. I may have to go back and really give some of cream samples a whirl.

With all the talk in the wetshaving groups I was convinced I wouldn't be happy until I had a premium badger brush. However, I was surprised how much I like my $14 Omega Boar brush. While boar and badger are inherently different, I would say the quality of lather I get with my boar brush is on par WSP Prince. Sometimes I like the scritch of boar and sometimes I like the cloud like feel of premium badger. It just depends on the day.

6 122
 03-12-2013, 02:15 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Personally I tend to use my boars with hard soaps and creams with my badgers.

45 3,955
 03-12-2013, 02:52 PM
User Info
I don't think the hair has anything to do with it. Italian soft soaps load up just as easily as cream. Okay, may not that easily, but easy enough.

Instead, I think the invention of triple milled soap was a form of preservative necessitated by long travel time or nasty, humid climates.

There must be a reason that England is the land of triple milled soap.... I surmise it has to do with the empire.

Unsure when glycerin based soaps came around though.

9 2,988
 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I'm a few days away from 60 and I've wet shaved since I started shaving. I've always used what was available locally which means boar. I don't ever remember seeing anything else around here. So it was primarily Williams or Old Spice with an occasional rare puck of C&E and a boar brush.

12 743