03-12-2013, 07:15 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Took a ride with the OCMM PIF'ed to me by Shadows Dad yesterday. MY GOODNESS, That thing is a lethal weapon. I've had a few close shaves but WOW!!! By the time I was done, I looked like I was in an MMA brawl...lol I was trying to be conscience of no pressure... This thing needs ANTI-PRESSURE... I did get a super close 2 pass shave. (Definitely the closest ever, also bloodiest). I have to attribute my rough time to operator error. My Ultra-lather was good and creamy and slick so I can't blame that. My prep was same as always. That OCMM is just one plain BAD BOY !!! When I was done I rubbed my styptic pencil all over my freshly exfoliated face.. I did 2 rinses with witch hazel and lucky for me Brian sent me some of his great bay rum.... A Good splash of KFBR had me up and running.... If I would have had to use VIBR I think I would have peed my pants...lol

Today there are signs of battle with the OCMM... this morning I applied a little more KFBR before I left for the salt mine... And tonight I show signs of a little razor burn and a couple rough spots are evident. My whiskers are still pretty close even though I shaved over 24 hours ago.. No worries I WILL MASTER the OCMM........ Even if I have to bleed myself out to do it......

HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 03-12-2013, 07:16 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I hear these are super aggressive how do they compare to '11 Muhle r41?

115 1,692
 03-12-2013, 07:25 PM
User Info
(03-12-2013, 07:16 PM)Triad Wrote: I hear these are super aggressive how do they compare to '11 Muhle r41?

I don't think you can compare a SE to a DE. The thicker & stiffer SE blades behave way different than DE blades do.

I can whip the OCMM around like its an injector. The '11 R41 will never come in contact with my face again though. Well, unless I melt one down & recast it as a SE razor. Tongue

31 7,914
 03-12-2013, 07:34 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I have to agree there. It is a totally different experience... So far up till the OCMM my SE shaves have been very nice and smooth... Much closer than DE's. It's like another world.

5 1,151
 03-12-2013, 07:49 PM
User Info
The angle on the OCMM is very different from my other SEs. Much more comfortable to me if the top of the razor is laying flat against my face.

2 362
 03-12-2013, 08:39 PM
User Info
Joe, have you watched "Mr Guys razors" OCMM videos on You Tube? He makes some really good points and offers great tips on using the Micromatic. I have three of them and they have never bloodied me at all, another case of ymmv it seems. Heal your face and give it another go, you will get the hang of it in no time.

63 2,128
 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM
User Info
Biggrin The tongue in cheek humor wasn't lost on me, but I'm sorry for your (blood) loss. The SE blades are sharp aren't they!?

I warned you about the OCMM. I wield it like it's a Tech, but it can be different for other folks. You need to work your way into it. BTW, I shaved with my OCMM this past morning. It's my mild razor compared to the R41. I always like to have one aggressive razor and a milder one every other day.

Tomorrow is the '11 R41's turn since those are the 2 razors I'm using blades in at the moment. Check my SOTD posts and see for yourself.

The '11 R41 is different but far more aggressive. The OCMM is tame and good natured in comparison. Both require 100% great technique and don't have any distractions. When the attention wavers... "Gotcha!". Much more with the R41 however. Technique must be perfect. I love the R41. Both razors yield a shave that's easily good for over 12 hours. More if I compare them to my (now hated) days with a cartridge.

SJR, I'd spend quite a bit more time with the Jr before tackling the OCMM again. But it's your skin at risk, not mine. Get the Jr down with no blood (not the Jr Bar- that's a walk in the park) for maybe a month or more then I'd try the OCMM again. I can almost guarantee that when you can handle the OCMM w/o blood you'll love the razor. It's an easy BBS after you get there.

Do I remember you having a ClogPruf coming in? If so that would be an intermediate step before the OCMM too. The Shovelhead you have coming in is another aggressive razor, maybe about the same as the OCMM, but it feels more aggressive because the blade is felt more. It's an absolutely awesome shave though.

IMO, the biggest problem with the OCMM is that it's aggressive but doesn't feel as though it's as aggressive as it is. That lulls folks into thinking it's a milder razor. Wrong. Never think that about the OCMM or it'll grab that opportunity to bite you.

Just relax, concentrate on no pressure as you never have before and you'll do fine. When you think you have no pressure reduce it by half yet again. Keep doing that. In the mirror look at your skin under the razor. If it deforms at all you're using too much pressure for an aggressive razor. The razor requires a firm hold to keep it against the skin, but no pressure. Yes, I know it's easy to write, different to put into practice, but you can do it. Just pay attention and keep your mind on the shave. Wink You're doing fine. You'll get there if you wish to.

32 6,311
 03-13-2013, 08:39 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
(03-12-2013, 09:52 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Biggrin The tongue in cheek humor wasn't lost on me, but I'm sorry for your (blood) loss. The SE blades are sharp aren't they!?

I warned you about the OCMM. I wield it like it's a Tech, but it can be different for other folks. You need to work your way into it. BTW, I shaved with my OCMM this past morning. It's my mild razor compared to the R41. I always like to have one aggressive razor and a milder one every other day.

Tomorrow is the '11 R41's turn since those are the 2 razors I'm using blades in at the moment. Check my SOTD posts and see for yourself.

The '11 R41 is different but far more aggressive. The OCMM is tame and good natured in comparison. Both require 100% great technique and don't have any distractions. When the attention wavers... "Gotcha!". Much more with the R41 however. Technique must be perfect. I love the R41. Both razors yield a shave that's easily good for over 12 hours. More if I compare them to my (now hated) days with a cartridge.

SJR, I'd spend quite a bit more time with the Jr before tackling the OCMM again. But it's your skin at risk, not mine. Get the Jr down with no blood (not the Jr Bar- that's a walk in the park) for maybe a month or more then I'd try the OCMM again. I can almost guarantee that when you can handle the OCMM w/o blood you'll love the razor. It's an easy BBS after you get there.

Do I remember you having a ClogPruf coming in? If so that would be an intermediate step before the OCMM too. The Shovelhead you have coming in is another aggressive razor, maybe about the same as the OCMM, but it feels more aggressive because the blade is felt more. It's an absolutely awesome shave though.

IMO, the biggest problem with the OCMM is that it's aggressive but doesn't feel as though it's as aggressive as it is. That lulls folks into thinking it's a milder razor. Wrong. Never think that about the OCMM or it'll grab that opportunity to bite you.

Just relax, concentrate on no pressure as you never have before and you'll do fine. When you think you have no pressure reduce it by half yet again. Keep doing that. In the mirror look at your skin under the razor. If it deforms at all you're using too much pressure for an aggressive razor. The razor requires a firm hold to keep it against the skin, but no pressure. Yes, I know it's easy to write, different to put into practice, but you can do it. Just pay attention and keep your mind on the shave. Wink You're doing fine. You'll get there if you wish to.

Jedi Mind Trick...lol... Thanks Brian. I'm not at all discouraged. All my life I was one to jump right in... I'll get it... I've already used the CP... just a couple weepers. The Bullet tip and Eveready came in yesterday... I'm going to take my time and work my way up.
Not ready to shave again yet. Maybe tomorrow....

5 1,151
 03-14-2013, 02:52 PM
User Info
Cool....
Nice of Brian to send you an OCMM,one of the best razors around.
It was designed to find the proper shaving angle practically by itself.
I hold it real lightly between my thumb and fingertips of the pointer and middle finger about two thirds of the way up the handle.

Holding lightly let it find the shaving angle as it follows the contours of your face and you should be good.

7 414
 03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
User Info
I find the 1912 more aggressive than the OCMM by a long shot. Other than an infrequent neck weeper the OCMM has not really given me any trouble. I definately have to be careful with technique with 1912. For me the 1912 is more edgy.

0 52
 03-15-2013, 06:59 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Finally got healed enough to shave this morning.... Went with the featherweight...lol... Much nicer razor... OCMM Is just plain MEAN !!!! lol I'll work my way back up there though... The OCMM shave was only like my 6th or 7th SE shave.... Savage took a butt whoppin' the 1st time... I have a couple other SE's to play with for a while before I tackle OCMM again... NO HURRIES... NO WORRIES !!!!!

5 1,151
 03-15-2013, 09:21 PM
User Info
Yes, get there you will, my young pada wan. Your attitude, smile it makes me, good it is.

32 6,311