04-03-2012, 07:02 PM
User Info
These days, if I had to pick one product to shave with, it would probably be QCS creams (really soft soaps). I haven't used the Esquire, but I've enjoyed all the scents I have tried. To me, the lather in the picture looks a bit fluffy. I'm not sure if it was bowl or face lather. Because QCS creams are so firm, I think they really need to be lathered like soaps in in a large container. I know people like to get samples to test a variety of scents, but I've never had much lucky getting samples to lather well.

For those interested, here's a little "tutorial" I posted on a different forum a while ago.

"Seems like there have been a few threads recently asking about how to lather QCS cream, so I decided to take a few pictures of how I do it. I won't exactly call it a tutorial, because I'm not sure really how instructional it is. All pictures were taken in real time during an actual shave.

The only "trick" is to think of the product as a soap. I use a wet brush to lather soaps. Not dripping or anything, a few good shakes (I never squeeze water out of brushes, YMMV). QCS maybe doesn't require quite as much water as a hard soap, but definitely more than your average cream. My second piece of advice is to buy a full-sized product. I think a lot of the issues people seem to be having are tied to the little sample containers. Lathering a hard product in a small container just doesn't work well.

So here we have QCS Cedarwood/Lemongrass and a vintage Plisson EW brush. I think it's around size 12, and I estimate that the knot is 22-23mm and loft is 55-58 (yeah, a brush with an actual loft, very unpopular these days). The QCS is technically not the most recent version because it doesn't have palm oil, but I assume it's pretty much the same as you can buy now.
[Image: 45638624.jpg]

Here is the brush loaded with product. I don't really time myself, but I'd say in the 20-25 second range.
[Image: 45417173.jpg]

The following steps are just what I do for any product. These aren't specific to QCS.

Next, I palm lather for a bit, just to get everything mixed up well. This step is optional, but I think it makes better lather in general. Here's the brush after the initial palm lathering.
[Image: 79453673.jpg]

I'll wipe whatever lather is on my hand after palm lathering on my face, and then face lather for maybe a minute or so. Here is the brush after I've face lathered for the first pass.
[Image: 28539842.jpg]

After the second pass.
[Image: 47048512.jpg]

After the third pass (frugal latherers avert your eyes).
[Image: 34920327.jpg]

As you can see, the lather remains pretty consistent throughout the shave. Of course, how the product reacts with your skin and how well it shaves are different matters.

Comments/suggestions/criticisms welcome."

30 276
 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
This is an excellent tutorial of how to lather both a hard shaving cream or a soft having soap,or even a triple milled soap.
Thanks for it,my friend,it just as clear and straight as it could be.Nobody now could say that its impossible to make lather with Queen Charlotte shaving cream.I basically do the same than you do and always obtain more than enough lather for 4 or 5 razor passes.
Thanks again!

86 7,124
 04-03-2012, 08:52 PM
User Info
Very nice instructions, sir! Lovely lather!

75 20,883
 04-03-2012, 11:45 PM
User Info
I've been working through several samples of QCS soaps and have not had a problem making a good lather with them. I just followed his video and smear a little on the bottom of a mug and go to work.

I do have to say that I'm not a fan of the cedarwood/lemongrass scent though. It reminds me too much of pencil shavings.

2 43
 04-04-2012, 05:37 PM
User Info
Looks like this got turned into it's own thread. Just by way of reference, it was originally a reply to this thread.

Aaron

(04-03-2012, 11:45 PM)EagleDuck Wrote: I've been working through several samples of QCS soaps and have not had a problem making a good lather with them. I just followed his video and smear a little on the bottom of a mug and go to work.

I do have to say that I'm not a fan of the cedarwood/lemongrass scent though. It reminds me too much of pencil shavings.

Yes, I've seen the video Matt made that you are referring to. I could be wrong, but I think it was made with the original formula of the cream which was more of a true cream than the current version which I consider a soft soap. YMMV, but I've never really had much luck with this technique.

Aaron

30 276
 04-05-2012, 04:31 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
That's great looking lather. I also find palm lathering to make great lather, but I don't do it very often because of the mess.

7 1,018
 04-05-2012, 04:37 AM
User Info
That is indeed a nice tutorial - and that Plisson brush looks gorgeous!!! Love

2 5,532
 04-05-2012, 05:59 AM
User Info
Aaron thank you for the tutorial, this is how I lather my Razorock Classic Shaving Cream Soap. It's soft also and I find that if I start by palm lathering it the facelathering turns out much better and I don't have to use as much of the soap out of the container.

Clayton

6 617