03-13-2013, 03:01 PM
User Info
I went to dollar tree....i saw Rise in the can....trusted since the 1950's......i got 3 cans .....it does smell good very thick and seems to work well when i make super lather.... but still....

0 189
 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
It's all about the journey. I went to dgs and they had Barbasol pacific rush in the foam. I picked up a can and love the scent.

116 3,804
 03-13-2013, 03:34 PM
User Info
I keep a can of Noxzema in the green canister. However it keeps reminding me that I'm much better off without it. It gets gunked up in my razor, doesn't really save much time, and, most importantly, it dries my skin out.

84 1,505
 03-13-2013, 04:05 PM
User Info
Keep a can of the original Barbasol it uses on rashes and the like.

5 410
 03-13-2013, 05:05 PM
User Info
Whatever works well for you is the best thing out there. Don't get hung up on things. Just use what feels good.

2 362
 03-13-2013, 09:05 PM
User Info
(03-13-2013, 05:05 PM)sethleupagus Wrote: Whatever works well for you is the best thing out there. Don't get hung up on things. Just use what feels good.

+1 Have fun.

82 21,056
 03-13-2013, 09:12 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
A man has to do what a man has to do.

175 23,752
 03-13-2013, 10:00 PM
User Info
I have 20 cans of my favorite shaving Gel hidden away in the back of my closet.

I use this when I headshave 3 times a week in the shower, and I use a Gillette Fusion for the shave. I use a razorpitt sharpener and my thumb to strop the blade a bit and believe it or not I get 10-12 full head shaves from one Fusion cart and no razor burn Biggrin

I also once or twice a week, when in a hurry, use one of my Edwin Jagger Fusion razors (own Bulbous Lined and Chatsworth Barley) and the Sanex Shaving Gel and provided I start with Proraso Preshave cream I get a 90% BBS shave, and very little irritation unless I try to get close to 100% BBS (then razor burn will kick in for sure)

Use what ever works, my friend Smile

I would ALWAYS prefer to use a great brush, a great cream and a great DE razor loaded with a great DE blade, but sometimes I only end up having 6-7 minutes for my shave before going to work. At these times cans of goo do the trick with proper help from other products, proper preparation and proper use of after shave products.

24 5,833
 03-14-2013, 09:46 AM
User Info
To Boris007 -

In order to distinguish and enjoy the really good stuff, one must have a reference (the mediocre or bad stuff) with which to compare. Go forth and sin no more.

16 351
 03-14-2013, 10:04 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
We are all human and fallible!

2 334
 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
It is your shave journey, if this works for you no harm in using it.

1 3,507
 03-14-2013, 02:30 PM
User Info
You know when I first read this a day or so ago I cringed. But yes, it's what works for you that counts. That's what matters. It's your shave.

It wouldn't work for me (I was there for 40+ boring and utterly wasted years), but that's completely meaningless to your enjoyable shave.

Biggrin I do have a few enjoyable memories from those days... flashback... I worked in a one man QC test lab, and during those years I used gel foam and all production personnel knew that I shaved on company time (in my spare time). One of the production personnel (a good friend) came into the lab one day asking if I had a razor. He had stubble that needed to be shaved because he had to enter a hazardous confined space that required him to wear life sustaining headgear. Stubble and a face seal simply don't mix. I handed him my gel and a disposable razor and sent him on his way. He came back moments later with about 1/2" of lather on his face and a hand full of lather (not just a little, but FULL of lather) and an expression on his face like, "WTF!!!". Just priceless! Obviously he never used gel before. I nearly shit my britches! Maybe you had to be there.

32 6,445
 03-15-2013, 03:19 AM
  • Carson
  • Adelaide, Australia
User Info
Sacrilegious! Someone ban this man!!! Biggrin

0 108
 03-15-2013, 11:39 AM
User Info
i am making amends brethren. i placed a order with appleton barber supply this am. looking forward to this order. this is a barber shop supplier that also sells to general public. got myself and my son a new razor, brush, shaving soap, and ,finally, some BAY RUM!! Smile

0 189
 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
User Info
(03-14-2013, 02:30 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: You know when I first read this a day or so ago I cringed. But yes, it's what works for you that counts. That's what matters. It's your shave.

It wouldn't work for me (I was there for 40+ boring and utterly wasted years), but that's completely meaningless to your enjoyable shave.

Biggrin I do have a few enjoyable memories from those days... flashback... I worked in a one man QC test lab, and during those years I used gel foam and all production personnel knew that I shaved on company time (in my spare time). One of the production personnel (a good friend) came into the lab one day asking if I had a razor. He had stubble that needed to be shaved because he had to enter a hazardous confined space that required him to wear life sustaining headgear. Stubble and a face seal simply don't mix. I handed him my gel and a disposable razor and sent him on his way. He came back moments later with about 1/2" of lather on his face and a hand full of lather (not just a little, but FULL of lather) and an expression on his face like, "WTF!!!". Just priceless! Obviously he never used gel before. I nearly shit my britches! Maybe you had to be there.

I pictured that just fine, got a nice chuckle. Smile That had to be funny to see.

I keep a can of Barbasol that I may use 1-2 times a year if I am ever in a real hurry.

31 1,800
 03-31-2013, 12:16 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
For me even if I'm running late the world can wait till I'm done shaving...lol NEVER GOO ON MY FACE EVER AGAIN....

5 1,151
 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM
User Info
(03-31-2013, 12:16 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: For me even if I'm running late the world can wait till I'm done shaving...lol NEVER GOO ON MY FACE EVER AGAIN....

What about bowled goo Tongue

24 5,833