03-14-2013, 03:07 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I find there is a distinct difference between Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) cream in a tube and TOBS in a tub, so much so that they seem like completely different products.

With the tub, I found only a tiny bit is required in the tips of the brush to lather up a storm; from the tube, just the standard amount, depending on the brush. Sometimes I find TOBS from the tube a little too runny. Their products are inconsistent that way, I find anyway.

I am interested to hear what other people's TOBS tube/tub experiences are like. Same product, or different/better product?

0 1,620
 03-14-2013, 03:19 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Regardless of brand, my preference is always TUB over TUBE!

Mainly because I mostly face lather and I like to dunk my brush in the product. If I bowl lathered more, perhaps I might prefer to dollop a little cream from a tube into a scuttle or bowl...

I do seem to notice a slight difference in the consistency of the product too, but it could be my imagination!

91 17,795
 03-14-2013, 03:22 AM
User Info
I had a tube of eton for a brief time in between trades, and didn't care too much for it. It was ok, not great. My tubs of Mr. Taylor, avocado, and shave shoppe are at the top of my rotation...all great performers. Maybe it was coincidence, but I'm not going to mess with a good thing.

3 41
 03-14-2013, 03:28 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I agree with you. The tub cream seems to be a thicker consistency. IMO the TOBS Tubs are a great value.

45 3,955
 03-14-2013, 03:48 AM
User Info
I have owned two tubes of TF&H and 3 tubs of TF&H, and they seem to be the same.

Have only owned tubs of TOBS, because they are so cheap Biggrin

I also like the design of the TF&H tubes, not so much the TOBS, DR Harris and GFT tubes. So that's why I only buy tubes from TF&H.

Tubes of Acqua Di Parma and Acca Kappa 1869 are in fact NOT THE SAME PRODUCT AT ALL as the pot versions.

But TOBS tubes and tubs should be the same, however there will always be batch variations of anything man made, even machine made.

22 5,043
 03-14-2013, 03:53 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Tubes are only a good value if you want to try something. I usually will buy a tube then a full tub if I really like the product. Tubs are so cheap for Taylors that even when trying something it's almost better to just buy the tub

116 3,804
 03-14-2013, 04:11 AM
User Info
Ingredients of both?

0 128
 03-14-2013, 04:16 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(03-14-2013, 03:53 AM)Dave Wrote: Tubes are only a good value if you want to try something. I usually will buy a tube then a full tub if I really like the product. Tubs are so cheap for Taylors that even when trying something it's almost better to just buy the tub

You get it cheaper there. Bullgoose for Jermyn St tub: $15.99; here in Australia it's $28, i.e. around 75% more, maybe less if you hunt and hunt.

0 1,620
 03-14-2013, 04:17 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(03-14-2013, 04:16 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(03-14-2013, 03:53 AM)Dave Wrote: Tubes are only a good value if you want to try something. I usually will buy a tube then a full tub if I really like the product. Tubs are so cheap for Taylors that even when trying something it's almost better to just buy the tub

You get it cheaper there. Bullgoose for Jermyn St tub: $15.99; here in Australia it's $28, i.e. around 75% more, maybe less if you hunt and hunt.

Yeah I didn't think of that. I forgot about RAS (Ridiculous Australian Shipping)

116 3,804
 03-14-2013, 04:31 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(03-14-2013, 04:11 AM)MrDentini Wrote: Ingredients of both?

Tub Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Theobroma Cocoa Seed Butter, Parfum, Sodium Hyrdoxide, Bisabolol

Tube Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Theobroma Cocoa Seed Butter, Parfum, Sodium Hyrdoxide, Bisabolol

The lists are identical but don't provide proportions/measurements (water in particular would be useful to know). I think the tube is thinner product so...they can get it IN the tube (?). The tubs appears thicker to me, and a superior product. The old metal tubes had better, thicker, more luxurious cream and I think they could get it in from the bottom of the tube and then crimp it. The newer plastic tubes I am NOT a fan of. Plus I find they break. maybe they crimp from the bottom now I think of it...anyone know how it's done?

0 1,620
 03-14-2013, 04:39 AM
User Info
The tubes are filled from the top (not the part with the screw cork) and then crimped and usually print the lot number there.

Looks like it's the same product. Maybe there are two third party companies that manifacture and package the product, one company makes the tube and the other the tub. Huh

0 128
 03-14-2013, 07:26 AM
User Info
I'm much more of a tub guy

7 75
 03-14-2013, 07:36 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
My guess is that there are one of two factors that influence this perception.

1) They use more water for the tube version to make it easier to use.

2) The tube does a better job of preventing evaporation causing the consistency to remain more fluid.

125 2,374
 03-14-2013, 09:00 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Tubes are great for travel. Otherwise, I prefer pots.

45 16,278