03-14-2013, 06:04 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
My first question on the forum might sound a big ridiculous, but if you are seeing flakes of soap flying in the air while shaving does this more than likely mean your lather is no good? I tried lathering some Tobac this morning with SOBC brush and while I love the smell of the Tabac I just can't seem to get used to this brush. I think tomorrow I am going with my badger to see the results.

15 970
 03-14-2013, 07:01 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Probably just a thin spot where the lather is drying out. I get this sometimes if I get in a hurry.

173 23,484
 03-14-2013, 07:23 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
My lather always appears to be a problem. I think it's the reason all my shaves are around 20 minutes and I have been at this almost 3 weeks. I can't hand lather apparently and while I can face lather with my mighty midget omega brush, I can't with this Semogue Owners Club brush. I think I'll give this "Austin Powers" brush that was pifed to me by someone a shot tonight in a bowl with the Pannana Crema.

15 970
 03-14-2013, 07:25 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have only had this happen with La Toja, which happens to be a very thirsty soap IMHO and was probably due to not adding enough water. I got rid of the La Toja because it caused skin irritation for me and haven't had this mysterious soap snow occur with any other product, including Tabac.

125 2,374
 03-14-2013, 07:32 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
To be honest, all my practice lathers come out great at night, but then in the morning it's always a different story. Last night I wet that Semogue brush and didn't even really ring it out and then loaded for about a minute. Of course I had a ton of water, but when I was lathering on my hand I guess it all evened out. This morning I wet my brush while showering and then swayed it back and forth and then tried to load and lather on hand all I kept getting was dry lather even after dipping my brush in water. The whole process is frustrating sometimes, but overall the experience is what makes it worth it for me.

15 970
 03-14-2013, 07:55 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
If you are new to lathering and have a new SOC boar brush, the brush may not be broken in yet causing you further frustration with your lather building.

My SOC boar took the longest of any boar brush that I own to break in and the initial lathering was much more difficult with it.

Try the badger and see what happens and search this forum for Ultralather. There are some terrific videos too. Also search for breaking in a boar brush. Some amazing tips on that here!

I have seen a bubble or two float up every once in a while but never any flakes. I would imagine that a dry lather can flake off of the skin.

I would just say to be patient and this part of the process will eventually come very easy to you and and it's also likely to become very enjoyable. Biggrin

Eric

6 905
 03-14-2013, 08:52 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I would also recommend that when you practice lathering you follow the same routine that you would when you actually shave. If you soak your brush while you shower when you shave, make sure you soak for a similar amount of time when you practice. I like to practice the night before whenever I am using a new soap or brush just to make sure that when my morning shave comes I will know what to expect. Also if the lather doesn't go well the first practice I can flush it down the drain and start over using a different technique. I usually start with a very dry brush and load until a creamy lather is coating the tips, if this doesn't provide a luxurious, creamy Ultralather ™ then I try again loading with a slightly wetter brush.

125 2,374
 03-14-2013, 09:00 AM
User Info
tsimmns, I had the exact same problem as you with my lather for a long, long time. The problem is that the lather is too dry, thus is starts to dry up and flake. my biggest problem was that I'd go so long between shaves (sometimes 2-3 weeks and sometimes even longer than that) that I didn't really keep any consistency in my lathering/shaving techniques. now, I shave about 3-4X a week so I'm getting better lathering results and I must tip my hat to a lot of the users on this forum, especially sharpspine & rockford for helping me a lot through PMs and videos with my lathering techniques.

I find that the best method for us slower shavers and/or people with dry skin & coarse beards is to make an ultra lather. Brian, a.k.a sharpspine has a great thread in which he shows us how to achieve an ultra lather.

basically what I do depends on whether I'm using cream in a tub or in a tube. If I'm using a tub of cream for my shave, I'll load my brush for 45-60 seconds. I'll then splash my face a few times with water to get it wet, to help aid in the hydration of the lather. I'll apply the lather all over my face for about 30 seconds before I start dipping the tips of my brush in a small bowl of water on my sink counter every 10-12 seconds (yes, I use the stop watch on my phone to do this) until my lather on my face looks like I just took cool whip out of the freezer and/or refrigerator and used that to shave with. If I'm using cream from a tube, it's basically the same process except for the fact that I squeeze a little more than an almond size of cream directly on the brush and then face lather. My entire lathering process usually takes 3-4 minutes or so.

I also have a few lathering videos up on the shave nook's youtube channel.

Here I'm making an ultra lather in my palm:

Here I'm using the marco method to make lather:

Here I'm making an ultra lather directly on my face:

40 5,830
 03-14-2013, 08:37 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Maybe it's snowing. Were you standing outside? Biggrin

0 1,620
 03-15-2013, 03:25 PM
User Info
FWIW, as usual this morning I made another UltraLather and since I shower after shaving, I decided to take my sweet old time before getting under the water. My lather had plenty of time to dry and I got flakes flying off my face and into the air also. Interesting. I never did that before. Learned something new.

OP, you know that you can relather at anytime you want to, yes? That includes rebuilding water into the lather, rewetting the face and rebuilding lather, whatever. It's your shave, you decide what you need to do to make it work for you. There really are few rules beyond the basics of no pressure, great lather, yada, yada. Just do what works for you. It's up to you to make it work... no rules beyond the basics. Have fun with it.

32 6,308
 03-15-2013, 10:19 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Thanks for all this information. And yes I am aware I can always just re-lather, however since I sometimes shave in the morning, after being 10 minutes into trying to get a lather and getting nothing it's aggravating to have to try and start all over. I think that's what makes me the most ill. I am however though starting to shave at night, so maybe this will help.

By the way, if and when I can ever get lather to look at good as it does in these videos I will jump with joy and make my own videoSmile

15 970
 03-16-2013, 08:07 PM
User Info
(03-15-2013, 10:19 PM)tsimmns Wrote: Thanks for all this information. And yes I am aware I can always just re-lather, however since I sometimes shave in the morning, after being 10 minutes into trying to get a lather and getting nothing it's aggravating to have to try and start all over. I think that's what makes me the most ill. I am however though starting to shave at night, so maybe this will help.

By the way, if and when I can ever get lather to look at good as it does in these videos I will jump with joy and make my own videoSmile

practice. when you're not shaving, lather anyway to get used to building what works best for you.

40 5,830
 03-16-2013, 09:17 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I did a three pass shave using my CJB kamisori style razor this morning using Proraso green shave cream. Because I was really taking my time with the shave I did get some flakes showing up in the middle of the third pass. I simply dipped my brush in some water and relathered which made the flakes magically disappear as quickly as they arrived.

125 2,374