03-14-2013, 06:27 AM
User Info
I fooled myself more than several times over the years into thinking I had achieved my ultimate shaving routine. Yet, through tinkering and reading the boards I kept finding that there was room for improvement.

My present gold standard is a BBS for which I don't need ANY Post-Shave balms except for a water rinse. The skin must be completely calm as if I hadn't just shaved. If I do use any post-shave it's because I want to, not because my face needs it.

Years of practice and learning has now allowed me to use just about any of my razors, soaps and creams and get there, though with certain combos sometimes barely. (Merkur Bakelite comes to mind. A host of bad razor blades I'll never use again come to mind too.)

There are a few stand-out lathers that help me achieve a calm skin BBS far more easily. They both are very slick and leave my skin feeling great all day.

For cream: Kiss My Face Key Lime
For soap: Mike's Natural Shaving Soaps (so far all scents I've tried)

What's on your list of Soaps & Creams that allow you to just splash your face with water and have great feeling skin all day?

PS: As for other gear and technique, I use an R41 with any of the top reviewed blades and rubbing the first lather ATG and re-lathering before the first pass.

3 285
 03-14-2013, 07:01 AM
User Info
Mike's Natural Soap, Mystic Water, Pannacrema, most of Razorock's croaps, and Stirling Naked & Smooth all do this for me (with the right blade, a Gillette SharpEdge).

(03-14-2013, 06:27 AM)Aimsport Wrote: I fooled myself more than several times over the years into thinking I had achieved my ultimate shaving routine. Yet, through tinkering and reading the boards I kept finding that there was room for improvement.

My present gold standard is a BBS for which I don't need ANY Post-Shave balms except for a water rinse. The skin must be completely calm as if I hadn't just shaved. If I do use any post-shave it's because I want to, not because my face needs it.

Years of practice and learning has now allowed me to use just about any of my razors, soaps and creams and get there, though with certain combos sometimes barely. (Merkur Bakelite comes to mind. A host of bad razor blades I'll never use again come to mind too.)

There are a few stand-out lathers that help me achieve a calm skin BBS far more easily. They both are very slick and leave my skin feeling great all day.

For cream: Kiss My Face Key Lime

What's on your list of Soaps & Creams that allow you to just splash your face with water and have great feeling skin all day?

PS: As for other gear and technique, I use an R41 with any of the top reviewed blades and rubbing the first lather ATG and re-lathering before the first pass.

47 1,112
 03-14-2013, 08:15 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
This is what I look for with soaps and creams. The best cream I've used for my face is Tabac and Italian Palmolive at any cost. There are more than a few that are very close to matching these and I could easily be happy using them but for straight up performance those two would be hard to beat for me personally. For soaps, MW, C&S, Harris, MdC though just the unscented, and about 3 or 4 more that work very well for me. There are a bunch of good products out there in a wide range of prices we just have to figure out what works the best for us individually. And then, keep looking, in case there's something better, LOL.

12 743
 03-14-2013, 09:54 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(03-14-2013, 06:27 AM)Aimsport Wrote: For cream: Kiss My Face Key Lime

Soap:
Mystic Water
RazoRock King Louis Lavender
Strop Shoppe special edition

Creams:
Proraso Red
Spencer & Devon Spice

The common element to these (besides making a nice slick lather that's easy to shave) is shea butter, lanolin, or similar emollients. Otherwise my skin ends up feeling a bit dried out.

10 1,858
 03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
User Info
Mike's & Mystic Water!!
Fantastic soaps!

75 20,883
 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM
User Info
Some Mystic Waters ordered.
Stirling Naked & Smooth ordered.
You guys are such willing AD enablers.
Looking forward trying them.

Will dust off some of the others mentioned including MWF.

Now I guess I am up to about 590 years to try all possible combinations of razors, blades, soaps/creams, and preps. What fun.

3 285
 03-14-2013, 04:55 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
For me:

Mike's Natural
Jabonman

102 17,669
 03-14-2013, 05:47 PM
User Info
It would be interesting if it were a Jabonman with lanolin. Lanolin containing soaps seem strongly represented on this thread.

3 285
 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM
User Info
I like all of my stuff, but the ones that give me the best skin care results are Karo Classic shaving cream and a Pre De Provence/eShave White Tea super lather.

6 327
 03-14-2013, 07:10 PM
User Info
(03-14-2013, 06:49 PM)Jabberwock Wrote: I like all of my stuff...

Only Herban Cowboy keeps me from saying the same.

3 285
 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have some Mennen (Palmolive) from Fiji as a stick, and it's superb. It contains tallow. Scent's a bit questionable, but far better than the Australian Palmolive which smell like toilet block and which doesn't contain tallow.

Anyway, it's cheap ($2?) and soooo creamy. Any Sydneysiders here? You can pick it up at Sol Levy Tobacconist Extraordinaire on George St, Haymarket. They also sell a few TOBS there...and a few brushes, not many. Some Vulfix.

0 1,625
 03-15-2013, 04:17 AM
User Info
As good as tallow Palmolive stick is, it somehow stays out of my rotation for long periods of time. I had used it most when my technique still stunk and I was using aftershave balms. Will have to dust it off and see how it leaves my face with a water-only post-shave.

(03-14-2013, 08:29 PM)Shaun Wrote: I have some Mennen (Palmolive) from Fiji as a stick, and it's superb. It contains tallow.

3 285
 03-15-2013, 04:26 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(03-15-2013, 04:17 AM)Aimsport Wrote: As good as tallow Palmolive stick is, it somehow stays out of my rotation for long periods of time. I had used it most when my technique still stunk and I was using aftershave balms. Will have to dust it off and see how it leaves my face with a water-only post-shave.

(03-14-2013, 08:29 PM)Shaun Wrote: I have some Mennen (Palmolive) from Fiji as a stick, and it's superb. It contains tallow.

The Euro Palmolive is superb really. Cheap, too. I love the scent. Sometimes I take the top of the canister off just so I can sniff it. Weird? Oh yes... Smile

0 1,625
 03-15-2013, 08:24 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I have a few that will pass the test even with my dry, sensitive skin but the winner hands down is P-160!

6 905
 03-15-2013, 12:39 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
Aimsport, my technique is still a work in progress. I've gotten great results with some razors, and not so great with others. Having just read your post, please, ignore my advice to you on best R41(2011) shave angle. You obviously didn't need it. Smile As for post shave skin treatment as necessary... I always liked the burn from an AS splash. I look forward to it. It's like the icing on the cake. The whole process wouldn't be as rewarding without it, and I think my skin (no matter how calm after the shave), always benefits from the post shave application of something. My own gold standard is BBS with no blood or razor (burn), but I always feel a good burn from an alcohol based splash, no matter the pre-shave products used. Maybe, I've a ways to go... each new shave is still a pleasant adventure.

17 290
 03-15-2013, 11:33 PM
User Info
Do what works for you. I am not against aftershaves, splashes or balms. Like I said in the OP: "If I do use any post-shave it's because I want to, not because my face needs it."

And thanks for sending the R41(2011). My R41 dropped an absurdly short distance in the sink and the screw broke off in the handle. As great as an R41 looks on the outside, it's still pot metal, not solid brass on the inside.

(03-15-2013, 12:39 PM)RobE Wrote: Aimsport, my technique is still a work in progress. I've gotten great results with some razors, and not so great with others. Having just read your post, please, ignore my advice to you on best R41(2011) shave angle. You obviously didn't need it. Smile As for post shave skin treatment as necessary... I always liked the burn from an AS splash. I look forward to it. It's like the icing on the cake. The whole process wouldn't be as rewarding without it, and I think my skin (no matter how calm after the shave), always benefits from the post shave application of something. My own gold standard is BBS with no blood or razor (burn), but I always feel a good burn from an alcohol based splash, no matter the pre-shave products used. Maybe, I've a ways to go... each new shave is still a pleasant adventure.

P-160... yes, absolutely. Forgot about it. Someone sent me a sample long ago and it left my face feeling great. I hear Italian Barber is still selling it at $9,999.99 for 1kg. lol. Has anyone tried RazoRock R-160? How does it compare? Does it belong on this list?

(03-15-2013, 08:24 AM)EHV Wrote: I have a few that will pass the test even with my dry, sensitive skin but the winner hands down is P-160!

3 285