04-03-2012, 11:05 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Monday evening at work my co worker made a comment about his razor burn. I asked him how and what he shaved with and of course it was all wrong. I explained to him the process of wetshaving and the benefits including the enjoyment I get. He told me he HATES shaving and I told him it's my number one hobby. I reccomended The Leisure Guy Book by Michael Mann if he ever wanted to get into it. Today at work he informed me he ordered the book as well as a razor, blades, brush, and soap. It always feels good to convert someone. How many has everyone else converted?

45 3,955
 04-04-2012, 04:10 AM
User Info
That's quite an accomplishment, because I have failed to convert anybody in two years.

This generation has never handled a blade before because today's razors are encased in the disposables and cartridges, and they consider safety razor shaving a hazard.

The Leisure Guy Book is an outstanding way to present DE shaving in a positive light. The author makes a great point is suggesting that it has probably become fashionable and acceptable to go unshaven because of the irritation caused by today's disposables and cartridges. I've had people of a younger generation tell me that there's no way their face can take daily shaving.

I suggested to my barber recently that multiblade razors irritate the face by "shaving" the skin after the first blade shaves off the whisker and he agreed with that theory.

0 282
 04-04-2012, 04:19 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I finally got my oldest son to switch over about a month ago. My youngest son is another story. Heck, took me the better part of 10-years to convince him shoe laces were meant to be tied.

Have your friend watch Teiste and Mantic59 youtube videos.

173 23,531
 04-04-2012, 04:50 AM
User Info
I've managed to get a few to switch from foam & disposables or electriic but I find that the time factor keeps a lot of people away from traditional methods of shaving.
People are working longer hours, working harder, chasing the clock all the time and seldom have much time to themselves anymore.
Even weekends with family is under pressure at times so freeing up say 30 mimutes in the morning for a relaxing shave is out of the question for an awful lot of guys nowadays.
I guess though that few return to the foam and biccs once they do eventually sample the pleasures of a 'proper' shave.Smile
regards, beejay

0 39
 04-04-2012, 05:03 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(04-04-2012, 04:19 AM)Johnny Wrote: I finally got my oldest son to switch over about a month ago. My youngest son is another story. Heck, took me the better part of 10-years to convince him shoe laces were meant to be tied

I'm still not convinced of that. I think I need that lesson again

116 3,804
 04-04-2012, 05:16 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-04-2012, 05:03 AM)Dave Wrote:
(04-04-2012, 04:19 AM)Johnny Wrote: I finally got my oldest son to switch over about a month ago. My youngest son is another story. Heck, took me the better part of 10-years to convince him shoe laces were meant to be tied

I'm still not convinced of that. I think I need that lesson again

Oh, do I need to come down to TN and knock a knot on your head too?Biggrin

173 23,531
 04-04-2012, 06:58 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
That is great news. It is a difficult feat because it is hard to interject shaving into casual conversation. I have converted a few softball teammates as well as a few friends but if I did not run a shaving store, the conversation never would have come up.

45 16,335
 04-04-2012, 09:11 AM
User Info
(04-04-2012, 04:19 AM)Johnny Wrote: I finally got my oldest son to switch over about a month ago. My youngest son is another story. Heck, took me the better part of 10-years to convince him shoe laces were meant to be tied.

Have your friend watch Teiste and Mantic59 youtube videos.

My oldest son (16 years) has already inquired about my EJ razor as I haven't been using it lately. I don't know if him being that young would count as a "convert" even though he does his weekly fuzz scrape with a Fusion.

My youngest (11 y/o) will be a wet shaver for sure. He already "practices" regularly with my stuff and thinks its great fun. He watches over my shoulder when I'm browsing through shaving sites and gives advice on what I should buy.

I sit here typing this in untied shoes...

2 43
 04-04-2012, 10:23 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
This latest was only the second I've converted. The first was my best friend and I gave him a Merkur HD and Michael Manns book to get started. I've purchased another HD since and I think I will be giving that to my co worker as I feel a duty to make sure he succeeds at wet shaving. I'm guessing the first razor is going to play a major role in weather or not that happens.

45 3,955
 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Yes, the Michael Ham book usually does the trick. That's how I got started with traditional shaving.

45 16,335
 04-04-2012, 12:08 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thank you for correcting me on the name. If there are any starters out there I highly recommend the book.

45 3,955
 04-04-2012, 03:56 PM
User Info
(04-04-2012, 04:50 AM)beejay Wrote: I've managed to get a few to switch from foam & disposables or electriic but I find that the time factor keeps a lot of people away from traditional methods of shaving.
People are working longer hours, working harder, chasing the clock all the time and seldom have much time to themselves anymore.
Even weekends with family is under pressure at times so freeing up say 30 mimutes in the morning for a relaxing shave is out of the question for an awful lot of guys nowadays.
I guess though that few return to the foam and biccs once they do eventually sample the pleasures of a 'proper' shave.Smile
regards, beejay

You know it doesn't have to take thirty minutes. I can do a comfortable two pass shave in ten minutes or less and the shave is smooth, maybe not BBS but smooth and passable for work. When I work I get up a few minutes earlier so that I don't have to rush the shave.

Clayton

6 617
 04-04-2012, 06:42 PM
User Info
I also enjoy converting people. I have converted 4 people since I started in December. It was easy to do. At first they said I was crazy because I enjoyed shaving. Then the more I talked about the brushes cheap blades and BBS shaves they wanted to try. So I found Gillette adjustables for them and put together a nice "welcome package" that consisted of different blades, soap and cream samples and some AS samples. 1 shave and they were converted. I am currently working on quite a few other at the moment and am really close to 3 more. I have plenty of blades and creams to hook all the newbies up.
(04-03-2012, 11:05 PM)tgutc Wrote: Monday evening at work my co worker made a comment about his razor burn. I asked him how and what he shaved with and of course it was all wrong. I explained to him the process of wetshaving and the benefits including the enjoyment I get. He told me he HATES shaving and I told him it's my number one hobby. I reccomended The Leisure Guy Book by Michael Mann if he ever wanted to get into it. Today at work he informed me he ordered the book as well as a razor, blades, brush, and soap. It always feels good to convert someone. How many has everyone else converted?

1 73
 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
User Info
I found the cost issue is the key in my "crowd" of retirees.

So far I've converted 3.

The first gent was already using a brush and soap, it was easy to switch him over to a DE razor when I raised the issue of carts one day. He almost quit though. It took forever to get through to him that he needed virtually no pressure. Finally he decided to try that, 'cause maybe Brian knew what he was talking about after all. Soon after I got a call from him all excited because he had gotten the best shave of his life.

The second was another buddy and a retiree, as was the first. Again, it was the cost issue about carts. I still can't get him to use soap and make lather. He shaves dry.

The 3rd was my wife; I hope I can count her. Every time I brought up the issue she'd tell me she was happy using her disposables. So for her last birthday I didn't ask. I just got her a cherry Lady Gillette. It turned out she wanted one all that time, but just wasn't going to admit it. She immediately swapped over to it. Now I have a way to get rid of the really horrible blades in the blade sampler. She loves the things. I still can't get her to use proper soap and lather either though. She's quite happy just using bath soap.

32 6,309
 04-04-2012, 07:50 PM
User Info
You reminded me I also converted my wife. She loves it.
(04-04-2012, 07:37 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I found the cost issue is the key in my "crowd" of retirees.

So far I've converted 3.

The first gent was already using a brush and soap, it was easy to switch him over to a DE razor when I raised the issue of carts one day. He almost quit though. It took forever to get through to him that he needed virtually no pressure. Finally he decided to try that, 'cause maybe Brian knew what he was talking about after all. Soon after I got a call from him all excited because he had gotten the best shave of his life.

The second was another buddy and a retiree, as was the first. Again, it was the cost issue about carts. I still can't get him to use soap and make lather. He shaves dry.

The 3rd was my wife; I hope I can count her. Every time I brought up the issue she'd tell me she was happy using her disposables. So for her last birthday I didn't ask. I just got her a cherry Lady Gillette. It turned out she wanted one all that time, but just wasn't going to admit it. She immediately swapped over to it. Now I have a way to get rid of the really horrible blades in the blade sampler. She loves the things. I still can't get her to use proper soap and lather either though. She's quite happy just using bath soap.

1 73
 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM
User Info
Congratulations, sir! Well done! Another one to the dark side.
i have tried three possible converts, but i always get the same weak excuse: no time, or it take to much time!! Huh

75 20,883
 04-04-2012, 08:58 PM
User Info
(04-04-2012, 04:50 AM)beejay Wrote: I've managed to get a few to switch from foam & disposables or electriic but I find that the time factor keeps a lot of people away from traditional methods of shaving.
regards, beejay

But traditional wetshaving can be done quickly and comfortably when required. I often work long hours, but still have time for a less than 10 minute shave in the morning. Using a safety razor, brush and soap doesn't take any longer than with a cartridge razor and a can of goo. Splashing on some aftershave takes 10 seconds. For those who have the time, it can take longer with the addition of some luxurious extras and a leisurely pace. That is by choice, however, and would also be the case if using a cartridge razor.

0 303
 04-04-2012, 11:29 PM
User Info
(04-04-2012, 08:58 PM)Tbone Wrote: But traditional wetshaving can be done quickly and comfortably when required. I often work long hours, but still have time for a less than 10 minute shave in the morning. Using a safety razor, brush and soap doesn't take any longer than with a cartridge razor and a can of goo. Splashing on some aftershave takes 10 seconds. For those who have the time, it can take longer with the addition of some luxurious extras and a leisurely pace. That is by choice, however, and would also be the case if using a cartridge razor.

I admit I've had an occasional 'quickie' in the morningSmile but my normal routine is more of a ritual which can't be rushed if I'm to feel Ive had the best possible start to the day.
In my previous role when I had to leave home at a certain time to drive to the office my shave was a 10 minute slot before my 10 minute breakfast before my 40 minute drive etc.
The shave was simply a task to be performed, against the clock, and it gave me no pleasure in those days.
Now its different for me and the morning shave is a most pleasurable start to the day.
Apologies all for wandering off track
regards, beejay

0 39
 04-04-2012, 11:50 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-03-2012, 11:05 PM)tgutc Wrote: Monday evening at work my co worker made a comment about his razor burn. I asked him how and what he shaved with and of course it was all wrong. I explained to him the process of wetshaving and the benefits including the enjoyment I get. He told me he HATES shaving and I told him it's my number one hobby. I reccomended The Leisure Guy Book by Michael Mann if he ever wanted to get into it. Today at work he informed me he ordered the book as well as a razor, blades, brush, and soap. It always feels good to convert someone. How many has everyone else converted?
Thats the way to go! Well done and Im sure your friend would be grateful to you once hes tries how to proper wet shave and gets hook up with it.Wink

86 7,123
 04-05-2012, 01:59 AM
User Info
I usually don't talk much about wet shaving; for me it's almost a private thing, it's my daily zen time. My best friends they know I'm into wet shaving and they are curious about it, but they still think it's a hazardous task that takes too long! Tongue So, no convertions to me.

But I've made a re-convertion: my father took on wet-shaving after some 40 years of goo and cartridges! Biggrin

0 81