03-14-2013, 08:09 PM
User Info
Lather catcher. My oldest daughter was in an antique shop in a small town about 60 miles from here, and she picked up this razor for me, on an impulse. This evening I loaded it with a new Ted Pella Gem stainless PTFE coated blade. The shave was outstanding. Now I'm looking at laying in a few more boxes of blades so I can use this little razor often. I know a lot of you gents are into the SE razors. I've used a lot of the other more common SE razors, and none seemed to be what I expected, so I never got into using them. What are your thoughts on this particular razor, and, how many good shaves can I expect out of this blade, normally? Thanks for your insight.

24 1,150
 03-14-2013, 08:37 PM
User Info
What, no pics?

I got 6 shaves from a Pella blade last time I used it.

6 808
 03-14-2013, 08:40 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have a mint Gem and found it shaved me a bit too close, the one and only time I used it. I haven't been back there for a while, but I'll certainly have another crack at it and go easy this time. I don't what i thought I was doing at the time. Aiming for glass-like skin or something.

0 1,620
 03-14-2013, 09:30 PM
User Info
Gary, if it's the lather catcher it would be the Jr Bar, correct? The bar going across the full width of the razor puts pressure on the razor holding it down against the head? Is this the razor?
[Image: DSC03897_zpsf5c4f2b6.jpg]

If so, I found it to be an interesting design, but it was far too mild for me. I PIFed mine away, heck it was given to me by a gent who also found it too mild. But YMMV.

I average about 14 shaves from a Ted Pella. I've gotten as many as 20 shaves and as few as 12. One interesting thing about SE... the blades don't draw blood when they get dull, the shave just gets more inefficient. So don't be afraid to use the blade until it gets dull. Seriously.

BTW, at shave 14 the blade is definitely not the same as it was at shave #1, but as long as I still get a BBS in 2 1/3 passes I keep using it. I change it out when I get a DFS in my 2 1/3 passes.

I hope SavageJoeRude sees this thread so that he can take part. He has the Jr Bar that I PIFed away.

32 6,308
 03-15-2013, 03:33 AM
User Info
Brian, yes, that appears to be it exactly, with the bar. My handle is different, the slim steel handle with knurling. Typically, my results were different from yours. It felt non-aggressive during the shave, but the resulting shave was/is quite smooth and close, actually up there among the clouds with the Cobra Classic and the Barbasol. I was very pleasantly surprised with this result, because I had been expecting something more along the lines of the Micromatic and the others. I'm with savagejoerude, there's no razor better than one which is graciously gifted. I'll be looking forward to several more successful shaves from this blade and razor combo.

24 1,150
 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM
User Info
Brian is the Jedi Master when it comes to SE's and he can take those blades to places they've never been before...i.e. 20 shaves. With the TP PTFE coated blade, I'm good at about 5-7 shaves. I have hard water so I don't know if it's mineral build up on the blade or what, but at somewhere between 5-7 I'm ready for a new blade as the smoothness is no longer there for me.

5 938
 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
(03-15-2013, 09:07 AM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Brian is the Jedi Master when it comes to SE's and he can take those blades to places they've never been before...i.e. 20 shaves. With the TP PTFE coated blade, I'm good at about 5-7 shaves. I have hard water so I don't know if it's mineral build up on the blade or what, but at somewhere between 5-7 I'm ready for a new blade as the smoothness is no longer there for me.

+1 to everything you said. 5-7 shaves max

11 861
 03-15-2013, 03:40 PM
User Info
(03-15-2013, 03:33 AM)brothers Wrote: Brian, yes, that appears to be it exactly, with the bar. My handle is different, the slim steel handle with knurling. Typically, my results were different from yours. It felt non-aggressive during the shave, but the resulting shave was/is quite smooth and close, actually up there among the clouds with the Cobra Classic and the Barbasol. I was very pleasantly surprised with this result, because I had been expecting something more along the lines of the Micromatic and the others. I'm with savagejoerude, there's no razor better than one which is graciously gifted. I'll be looking forward to several more successful shaves from this blade and razor combo.

I found it to just be frustrating, but the shave was good especially with a fresh blade. I'm just not accustomed to having to keep the angle perfect anymore. Yes, it's good to drive home perfect angle, I know that Biggrin, but the child in me knows that an aggressive razor has a much larger useable angle (slop) where one still gets a great shave. I know, "Waaaa!". Poor baby.

FWIW, when the blade began to age I took it out of the Jr Bar, put it into a more aggressive razor and kept going with it.
---------

Jedi, Wink Yeah, right! I believe anyone can get more shaves from a SE blade. If they drew blood as they got dull I wouldn't suggest it w/o disclaimers, but they simply don't exhibit that behavior. I do think it's easier to get 14 shaves with aggressive razors though. FWIW, the duller blade does tame the aggressive razor somewhat.

32 6,308
 03-15-2013, 04:25 PM
User Info
(03-15-2013, 03:40 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: FWIW, when the blade began to age I took it out of the Jr Bar, put it into a more aggressive razor and kept going with it.

I agree with you on the Jr. Bar. It's a great looking razor, but far to mild for daily use. I could coax a good shave out of it, but it would take more than the 2.5 min shave with the OCMM. I also have taken the blade out of the Gem Jr Bar and gotten a couple more shaves from it in the OCMM.

18 567
 03-15-2013, 07:19 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Well so far I've only used the J-Bar but one time and it was a great shave. Playing around I got a little crazy with the OCMM and had to take a break. (4 days healing time).

This morning I could finally shave again and went with my Featherweight. I was planning on getting the J-bar cranked up tomorrow anyway... (I'm staying with the milder razors for a little while before I jump on the Thoroughbred OCMM again. I don't want to bleed to death...lol).

It will be glad to refresh my memory and pass along my thoughts.. I do know it's a cool old razor. It's so different than anything else I have in my collection. It's been around for a century + and it still does the job it was designed for. And it does it WELL.....

5 1,151
 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Had to make an appearance this evening at a friends show in the French Quarter so I had to be lookin' good... (Or as good as my ugly mug can)... It's amazing what a great shave and good mustache wax can do....lol

I shaved with the J-Bar today. I have to say It's one great little razor. Super smooth shave w/ no blood. I shaved the sides of my head with my Schick Quatro but I did touch ups with the J-bar. I took my time and the little old gal did a wonderful job... BBS with 2 1/2 passes and just a few touch ups.... Finished with Kramperts Finest for a top notch shave.......

I'll put the J-Bar up there with any razor... It just does me good. Forgiving enough for a SE noob like me but it provides a great shave. Awesome tool in my opinion..... This little Gem (Pun intended) is one of my top 3 razors at the moment...

5 1,151