03-14-2013, 08:28 PM
User Info
I know it's been done a million times, but I've spent some time figuring out what "tips" are actually necessary and which aren't.

9 2,988
 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Great video , Lee , thanks for sharing.Straight to to the point and very clear , thats a huge plus to me.Yes , making lather with MWF is not such a difficult task.

86 7,123
 03-14-2013, 08:42 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Fantastic video! Thanks for sharing I'm sure it will be very helpful to members having trouble making good lather with MWF.

45 3,955
 03-14-2013, 08:51 PM
User Info
Another great video, Lee!

75 20,883
 03-14-2013, 10:31 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks Lee.

173 23,546
 03-15-2013, 02:55 PM
User Info
Sorry, but if anything this video further proves that MWF simply does not lather well. Just compare the lather pictured to another of Lee's videos. It's much thinner and more bubbly and will only dissipate more with each pass.

30 275
 03-15-2013, 04:13 PM
User Info
(03-15-2013, 02:55 PM)Aaron622 Wrote: Sorry, but if anything this video further proves that MWF simply does not lather well. Just compare the lather pictured to another of Lee's videos. It's much thinner and more bubbly and will only dissipate more with each pass.

I cannot argue with this statement. It took a while to get that consistency and it was still not as good as what I was able to get with Mystic Waters (another annoying soap to lather). But that's a new video (in editing).

But, if the lather properties of MWF are sought after for their own sake, then this is how you can achieve a thicker lather with MWF. Does take some work though.

9 2,988
 03-15-2013, 08:57 PM
User Info
Lee, I'm just curious... have you tried to lather it by normal means of loading but by using distilled water? I'd pay for the gallon of distilled water to get you to try it.

The reason I ask, I have soft water and I'm mystified that others experience problems with soaps that for me lather like gangbusters. You have hard water and my premise is that it's the water. That in itself is surprising because England is generally a land of hard ground water and I'd think it would be formulated to lather in their hard water.

32 6,309
 03-15-2013, 09:09 PM
User Info
(03-15-2013, 08:57 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Lee, I'm just curious... have you tried to lather it by normal means of loading but by using distilled water? I'd pay for the gallon of distilled water to get you to try it.

The reason I ask, I have soft water and I'm mystified that others experience problems with soaps that for me lather like gangbusters. You have hard water and my premise is that it's the water. That in itself is surprising because England is generally a land of hard ground water and I'd think it would be formulated to lather in their hard water.

I normally lather it with RO water. It's not hard to lather per se, it's hard to get it to lather thick, like other soaps.

That said, I've noticed very little difference between RO & tap water.

9 2,988
 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM
User Info
(03-15-2013, 08:57 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: That in itself is surprising because England is generally a land of hard ground water and I'd think it would be formulated to lather in their hard water.

* Brian, not all places in England have hard water and MWF might have come from Bradford which is in West Yorkshire in the northern part of England which, i believe has soft water. Just a thought.
Here is a good map of the water hardness of England/Wales.
http://www.bristan.com/customerservice/Hard-Water-Map

75 20,883
 03-15-2013, 09:38 PM
User Info
(03-15-2013, 09:34 PM)celestino Wrote:
(03-15-2013, 08:57 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: That in itself is surprising because England is generally a land of hard ground water and I'd think it would be formulated to lather in their hard water.

* Brian, not all places in England have hard water and MWF might have come from Bradford which is in West Yorkshire in the northern part of England which, i believe has soft water. Just a thought.
Here is a good map of the water hardness of England/Wales.
http://www.bristan.com/customerservice/Hard-Water-Map

Once the WSP boar brushes get in, I'll whip up a video of how I do it the "quick & dirty" way. Does not work with badger, not even the "Prince" in Finest.

9 2,988
 03-15-2013, 09:38 PM
User Info
I stand corrected and educated. Thanks. I've always pictured it as the land of limestone trout streams.

Lee, if I wasn't currently spending time with 2 other soaps (time is critical) I'd take my softest fibered brush, the Omega 599 and try it with the Fat. Maybe in a few days I'll get to it though. If it isn't the water it must be the brush. The variables are limited to few.

But now I need some sack time. G'night.

32 6,309
 03-15-2013, 10:30 PM
User Info
Great video Lee. Very nice to point new wetshavers to, to show how long and how intense you have to "work" this soap to get this kind of lather.

Thanks!

0 224
 03-16-2013, 02:43 AM
User Info
Nice video...will surely try on my Kent which is MWF.

7 128
 03-16-2013, 04:34 AM
User Info
Nice video Lee.

With "The Fat" I find that no matter how I mix up a lather whether it be thin, thick,or somewhere in between it is the most protective soap I own.

Leaves my face feeling nice and really no need for an aftershave...but I still rock the Clubman anywayCool

If it wasn't for my quest to try most of the soaps out there Mitchell's Wool Fat would be my one-and-only.

5 337
 03-16-2013, 04:55 PM
User Info
(03-16-2013, 04:34 AM)JCturboT Wrote: Nice video Lee.

With "The Fat" I find that no matter how I mix up a lather whether it be thin, thick,or somewhere in between it is the most protective soap I own.

Leaves my face feeling nice and really no need for an aftershave...but I still rock the Clubman anywayCool

Thanks.

I agree. Even if the lather is a bit on the "thin" side for "normal" soaps, it's still very slick. The interesting thing about the fat is that it still does a darn good job even if you get the bubbly version of the lather.

Can't say the same about some other soaps, but that's a different review.

9 2,988
 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM
User Info
Great video!

0 375
 03-30-2013, 03:38 PM
User Info
I know that MWF has been given a bad rap as being hard to lather and inconsistent, though I have experienced some inconsistency over the three years of using this awesome soap, I have never had a problem getting a good lather from it, whether with hard water or soft water. The key is to make sure your brush isn't holding too much water or all the foam, exploding off the puck can fool you into thinking your brush has more than enough. Also, don't bowl lather with it unless you are creating a super lather with a cream. Used by itself by face lathering is the way to get the best of this soap.

0 84
 03-30-2013, 07:14 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have never had a problem lathering with MWF. Not even a hint of a problem, hard or soft water.

0 1,625
 03-30-2013, 08:30 PM
User Info
I actually found MWF to be one of the easiest soaps to lather, but I hated the scent. I traded my puck away because I just couldn't deal with the smell.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327