03-15-2013, 07:24 AM
User Info
Hey guys! So, I thought I would give a straight a try... Just purchased a nice henckels from a very reputable member and brand new stop as well.
I have no problem using my right hand on right side of face, but I just can not get used to the left hand on left portion of face. Im just not getting a close enough shave on first pass with my left. Also, I still have not shaved above my lip and chin with a straight yet. Just not comfortable yet. Any advice ?

9 333
 03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
User Info
(03-15-2013, 07:24 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: Hey guys! So, I thought I would give a straight a try... Just purchased a nice henckels from a very reputable member and brand new stop as well.
I have no problem using my right hand on right side of face, but I just can not get used to the left hand on left portion of face. Im just not getting a close enough shave on first pass with my left. Also, I still have not shaved above my lip and chin with a straight yet. Just not comfortable yet. Any advice ?

You don't have to use your left hand. You can shave solely with your right.

It's a long journey for some people. It's more about confidence and trial & error than watching a bunch of videos and reading the forums.

In your case, it sounds as though you're doing a good job on your right cheek. So, just keep at it and you'll get the technique down.

As for the left hand, you can either not use it, keep trying on your face, or practice shaving some other areas of your body that are less sensitive (arms & legs).

It's all about muscle memory.

9 2,988
 03-15-2013, 08:29 PM
User Info
Noah, congratulations, my friend!
Ditto on what Lee said. It is all about confidence and practice; nothing more, really. Good luck and it you feel brave enough, you can always try a Kamisori! Biggrin

75 20,883
 03-15-2013, 11:01 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
asharperrazor basically said it all, it's not something you'll master in a week, it will go up and down until muscle memory kicks in.

It might be difficult to shave with both hands but IMHO it pays to learn it from the start, you might be happy that you did later on. Success on your journey, in a few months you'll shave like a pro!

27 1,294
 03-16-2013, 03:48 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Chicagotrim,

I switched hands on my first straight razor shave some years ago and have not regretted it. I am right handed and my left had to be trained. I did so by using it for all the mundane activities: brushing my teeth, unscrewing bottle caps, opening and closing cabinet doors, and so on. I still use my left hand as much as possible.

Switching hands improves my field of vision during the shave, as well as increase my shaving arsenal to experiment and improvise. I am at a point now where my left feels just as comfortable as the right during the shave.

Of course, there is no straight razor shaving law that says you must switch hands. I suggest switching hands because of the benefits I have experienced. You, however, might not enjoy the same benefits. Or you might. Give it a try. If you still feel more comfortable with using your dominant hand, then that is the correct method for you.

As the other gentlemen have noted, straight razor shaving is a long process. With experience comes confidence.
Either way, stay with it, because a shave with the straight razor is a way of life.

132 2,614
 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM
User Info
Something that helped me a lot on my chin was a video by one of the straight "experts" using both hands there, one hand normally, the other at the tip of the blade, steering. By that method I can make one pass from my lower lip right to the bottom of my neck if I want. There are a couple of other spots I used two-hand steering for initially, then dropped the second hand when I became more comfortable.

I'm a one-hand straight user, and don't know where I'd want to use the other.

0 3
 03-16-2013, 08:50 AM
User Info
thanks for the advice gentlemen...I will continue to practice more and be a little patient.

9 333
 03-17-2013, 05:43 AM
User Info
(03-16-2013, 08:50 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: thanks for the advice gentlemen...I will continue to practice more and be a little patient.

Let us know how you get on. When I decided to start using straights, I opted to use both hands and for the first couple of weeks it was slow going over very little terrain with my left. Compounding that, my glasses got in the way and so I had to shave without them. Blind and left handed and lacking any natural grace. It's a wonder I survived.

Yet two months later my left hand skills are dramatically improved and the shaves are excellent. Take your time, don't rush and it'll come.

5 298
 03-17-2013, 11:26 AM
User Info
The trick with one handed shaves is to arch your forearm over your eyes.

9 2,988
 03-18-2013, 10:33 AM
User Info
Noah, firstly, congratulations on trying a straight. It generally takes around 2-3 months to get a technique pretty settled with these blades. I am very dominantly right handed. I watched videos of those using both hands and those just using their dominant hand. Although the choice is yours, I would definitely practice and learn to use your left. I never thought I'd do it but with practice it can be done. I feel it gives you much greater flexibility. Believe it or not, I now feel more comfortable on a N/S pass on my left side than I do with the same direction on my right with my dominant hand. Work that one out!!

31 4,957
 03-18-2013, 04:14 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
(03-17-2013, 11:26 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: The trick with one handed shaves is to arch your forearm over your eyes.

Or lower it below eye level.

[Image: PGJhv1y.jpg]

16 542