03-15-2013, 08:09 PM
User Info
OK, I know I'm late to the party. . . .

[Image: IMG_9007-X2.jpg] [Image: IMG_9021-X2.jpg]

I contacted Phil recently regarding the recent infusion of cash that was burning a hole in my pocket. I expressed an interest in the Vie Long beehive, and before you know it, my mailbox had a package in it.

I don't think I'm a brush aficionado, but I know what I like. I favor silver tip brushes, very soft, even what some critics refer to as "floppy." I use creams exclusively, prepare my lather in a scuttle, and like to apply the cream to my face rather than massaging my cheeks with a brush. That's just me.

When I first handled the brush, I could tell two things: It had the backbone of a mountain gorilla and the tips were as soft as my baby daughter's hair. What a striking combination this was.

The next morning, I dove right in and whipped up a very impressive lather in my Moss scuttle. I saw, perhaps for the first time, what the term flow-through meant. The lather was copious, thick, luxurious, and most importantly, warm.

I then applied the lather to my face, and what a surprise. The over-stuffed silver tip badger hair is so stiff that it yields very little against my face, at least in comparison to my Kent and Vulfix brushes. But the tips, the application, are so soft that it's hard to describe. And the brush gives up all kinds of lather. It's a kind of cognitive dissonance, two ideas that can't survive together: super strong backbone and luxurious, soft tips.

I had a great shave this morning, due in large part to the unique application experience of this Vie-Long brush. I can see that I will be using it as part of my regular rotation, and it may very well become my instrument of favor.

Unsolicited endorsement: Phil did mention that he had a few of these left. If you've been on the fence about this brush, I would encourage you to give it some consideration. My face couldn't be happier. Blush

1 50
 03-15-2013, 08:12 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
You made a great choice and i agree those Vie Long Silvertips are fantastic brushes.

45 3,955
 03-15-2013, 08:33 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Love mine too!! Works well with hard soaps also.

115 1,692
 03-15-2013, 08:37 PM
User Info
Man, that handle is wonderful! Ahhh, butterscotch!

75 20,883
 03-15-2013, 09:28 PM
User Info
Thats a wonderful brush!

7 128
 03-15-2013, 09:41 PM
User Info
Beautiful brush, that butterscotch looks great.

63 2,128
 03-15-2013, 10:28 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Its never too late to join the party.
Yes , those Vie Long silvertip brushes are excellent.The silvertip badger hair used is top notch and the fact that the knot is set at 48 mm , gives it a good backbone and very good flow.Also the knots are well packed with hair.

86 7,124
 03-15-2013, 10:28 PM
User Info
I have one. Fantastic. Pure white tips, backbone, flow-through. Perfect if you want luxury that doesn't break the bank.

0 5
 03-15-2013, 10:29 PM
User Info
Beautiful Vie Long brush.

I have to start using my Vie Longs, I promised Badger I would rinse a couple of my Vie Longs next week and test them for 4-5 days in a row and give him a small review Smile

I own that exact brush also, and let me tell you guys, this Vie Long Silvertip 3-band brush cut a bit short to help give it backbone, is the most luxurious soft brush with ample amounts of backbone, that you will find - especially for that relatively fair price !

For some reason the 3 Vie Longs I have rinsed have all smelled quite a bit of badger funk, more so than any of my other brushes ever have - it's strong stuff they put in their hair in Spain Biggrin

22 5,070
 03-15-2013, 11:16 PM
User Info
That's one good-looker.

Clause, while you are at it, can you give this fellow a small review as well? Tongue

Smile

4 358
 03-16-2013, 02:19 AM
User Info
(03-15-2013, 11:16 PM)Arash Wrote: That's one good-looker.

Clause, while you are at it, can you give this fellow a small review as well? Tongue

Smile

No problem, my friend.
You're twins for a reason Tongue

22 5,070
 03-19-2013, 04:30 PM
User Info
Very nice looking brush.

Enjoy it!

1 2,827
 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Better late than never, congratulations on a beautiful butterscotch beehive! Use in good health.

91 17,875