04-04-2012, 07:17 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I just received my first boar a few days ago. It is a Semogue Owners Club boar (cherry handle) from Vintage Scent. Have to say they have great prices if you're a bit more patient on the shipping time from overseas to the US.

I used it for the first time last night and were surprised by the following things:
- Surprise #1: As usual, I've heard that they (as any brush) can be stinky but really was surprised it had no smell out of the box. After getting it wet it did have a little bit of a funk but not much at all really. A test lather in Proraso and it was gone - I've had a few much funkier badgers
- Suprise #2: It was MUCH softer than I expected. This was the biggest surprise. Obviously it's not broken in but I was really, really happy how soft it was before hand. Not super badger soft but much more than I expected and was even surprisingly soft when dry
- Surprise #3: It lathered much easier than I expected too. Using the Proraso to clean it out it really burst out the lather quickly. I've read that it can take longer to get a good lather with a boar but didn't experience that at all
- Not as surprising: After my Proraso defunk I shaved with it after lathering with a Razorock tallow soak. I typically only shave 2 passes. With my straights I can get close to BBS on two passes so I rarely throw in a 3rd unless it's a special occasion. First pass was pretty nice, second pass it seemed like I was running out of lather. Not really a surprise here - I know they hold more when broken in but I'm thinking too I need to load longer than I typically do.
- Surprise #4: I've heard you need more product with a boar many times. I got just as much if not more lather when I used my normal snurdle of Proraso. I'm thinking for the soap I wasn't picking up as much as I usually do from the puck, so probably if I worked it right I'd be using the same amount of soap

I took Johnny's advice and soaked it for a long time in hot (tap, not boiling) water. That probably made a good difference in my exprience compared if I tried to treat it like a badger if I didn't do the research. I really thank Johnny and the rest in your great advice on other threads.

I'm going to go through the 15-20 minute soak then dry cycles to help the break in along. I run a fan in my room overnight and have put the boar in front of it to help it dry out quickly and be able to run the cycles daily vs. every other day.

Moral of my story is I'm glad that I got by any negative pub and preconcieved notions I may have had on a boar brush and it's good to get past that and give things a try. Not sure if it will surpass my beloved Rooney 3/1 Super but you never know. I'll maybe keep this thread updated as I go along.

0 353
 04-04-2012, 07:24 AM
User Info
Awesome Brent. That same brush is on the top of my b'day wish list so I hope to be breaking it in by the end of the month!

31 7,914
 04-04-2012, 07:44 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
You've made a good choice of brush Brent.

I'm currently breaking in a Cherry Handle SOC boar as well; it's a great brush.

I like it so much that I've ordered an ash handle SOC boar as well. Smile

32 638
 04-04-2012, 08:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Once it gets broke in you are going to wonder why you waited so long to get one. Then you will order the twin with the Ash handle. Then........ lookout, you just might become a Semogue collector. Smile

173 23,546
 04-04-2012, 09:31 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Welcome to the piggie party. I recently got my first boar as well, and I'm loving it.

10 1,858
 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The SOC is a great brush and can surprise to many whom haven't tried a proper quality boar brush.
Enjoy it with health and something is telling me is not gonna be your last Semogue.My next recommendation would be the 2000 or the 1305.

86 7,123
 04-04-2012, 10:10 AM
User Info
Once you've broken in a quality boar brush, then you can imagine what my friend below is saying...

[Image: porkypig.gif]

31 7,914
 04-04-2012, 10:48 AM
User Info
Congrats, sir! Enjoy and welcome to the world of boar!

75 20,883
 04-04-2012, 10:55 AM
User Info
Congrats Brent. I got another SOC the other day as well. That would be 2 brushes to Columbus at the same time.

Enjoy.

2 546
 04-04-2012, 11:47 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(04-04-2012, 09:31 AM)Songwind Wrote: Welcome to the piggie party. I recently got my first boar as well, and I'm loving it.

Ditto here. I was also suprised how well my Semougue has broken in and by all accounts it will only get better!

35 2,703
 04-04-2012, 12:35 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
(04-04-2012, 10:55 AM)PanchoVilla Wrote: Congrats Brent. I got another SOC the other day as well. That would be 2 brushes to Columbus at the same time.

Enjoy.

Hey, we're doing our part to help the Portuguese economy!

0 353
 04-04-2012, 12:40 PM
User Info
(04-04-2012, 12:35 PM)Brent Wrote:
(04-04-2012, 10:55 AM)PanchoVilla Wrote: Congrats Brent. I got another SOC the other day as well. That would be 2 brushes to Columbus at the same time.

Enjoy.

Hey, we're doing our part to help the Portuguese economy!

ThumbupThumbupThumbupThumbupThumbup

2 5,532
 04-04-2012, 09:21 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Congratulations, Brent! Semogue boar is an excellent way to go.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-05-2012, 04:09 AM
User Info
i got one of these also... i was surprised by how small the handle is... i don't know why i thought it would be wider..

it's nice, but it's (or any other 100% boar) certainly not supplanting any of my other brushes... at least not at this time.

1 48
 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Another boar convert that is great. I just recently added my first Semogue, it has been real treat to use. I have found the brush to be softer initially then my Omega 48 after six months.

1 3,507
 04-09-2012, 11:23 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Just as an update:

I've been using the brush exclusively since I picked it up. As of right now it's not supplanting my beloved Rooney 3/1 Super but it's definately a really nice brush. We'll see how it is after it fully breaks in.

I'm doing much better loading the brush and now have no problems with having enough lather for a full shave and then some.

Also, I've been cheating a bit on the break in on the weekend. I've been lathered with it twice a day over the weekend - I'm able to cheat a bit here because I have a desk fan that I run in my room. After a lather and sitting it under the fan, it's bone dry in less than 8 hours. After careful inspection it looks like some of the tips are beginning to split but not all at this point.

Can't wait to see what it's like in one week!

0 353
 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
After a month or two you will want to order 5 or 6 more Semogue models.

Great brushes to use and look at. One of those touchy/feely kind of things. Smile

173 23,546
 04-09-2012, 12:35 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(04-09-2012, 11:29 AM)Johnny Wrote: After a month or two you will want to order 5 or 6 more Semogue models.

Great brushes to use and look at. One of those touchy/feely kind of things. Smile

A month or two? I have had my Omega 49 about 3 weeks and I am already wondering which to try next. Tongue

10 1,858
 04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
  • Colcurinho
  • From the land of Semogue, Musgo Real, ..
User Info
I´m glad you like the Semogue brush Smile

0 106
 04-09-2012, 01:16 PM
User Info
You have the right idea. Just don't compare the brushes dry. From what I've seen with the last 2 boars I've broken in, one day you'll just realize,"Hey, this thing is pretty decent.", and you'll realize it's broken in. For me it's like flipping a switch and the light goes on.

Enjoy!

32 6,309