03-17-2013, 10:14 AM
User Info
I'm a big proponent of economical shaving products. I feel that there are excellent shaves to be had without having to break the bank and excellent products that are often ignored simply because they do not have a high price tag attached to them. I know that I'm not alone and that a lot of other folks think the same way that I do, so I'd like to see other folks' examples of low cost shaves. Show off your "cheap" gear and help others to see the beauty of budget shaves.

I'll start things off. Today I broke out my wife's Sik Bay plastic razor from bestshave.net, she's always telling me that I would like it if I would just give it a chance so I decided to give it a go. This is a three piece plastic razor which costs a paltry $1.75, but was thrown into an order as a freebie. The razor looks and feels fairly cheap, but twists together nice and tight and appears to have actually been made pretty well. I threw a SuperMax Titanium blade into it (at $16-$19/100 this is my one concession to price, but as I am working through a pack that I got in a trade, it technically cost me nothing). The blade sits well in the razor and is evenly gapped and placed on either side. I soaked my #6 Turkish Horsehair brush ($2.55 from bestshave.net) in a textured plastic salsa bowl ($1 from HEB) and pulled out my puck of Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns ($4.75 from West Cost Shaving). The soap sits in a VDH bowl from a VDH shaving set, which was given to me as a gift...so it was free, but the set normally costs $7.50 at HEB. I lathered up and did a typical three pass shave with my budget gear followed by a cold water rinse. The results were fantastic, I managed to get a great irritation free shave and really enjoyed using everything. The brush worked beautifully, the razor was nice and aggressive without being deadly, the soap performed amazingly (as per usual), and my trusty lather bowl did what lather bowls do. All things considered, I was really happy with my shave today and the gear was so inexpensive that I could have bought it all with lunch money.

Gear Used:
Sik Bay plastic three piece razor---------------FREE ($1.75 normally)
#6 Turkish Horsehair Brush-------------------$2.55
SuperMax Titanium blade---------------------FREE (normally aprox. $17/100, making it $0.17/blade)
CocinaWare salsa bowl-----------------------$1
Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns---$4.75
VDH bowl-------------------------------------FREE (the VDH set is normally $7.50)
TOTAL COST----------------------------------$8.30

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 03-17-2013, 10:56 AM
User Info
Well done! I'm big into trying to save where I can (although the pile of soaps under my sink suggests otherwise), and I'll always have a spot in my rotation for VDH Deluxe, $1.50 at Wally World. The scent isn't anything I would go crazy for, but it does exactly as it is supposed to.

2 362
 03-17-2013, 11:00 AM
User Info
Even using pricey kit my cost per shave is much better than it ever used to be back when I used electrics or cartridges.

31 7,914
 03-17-2013, 11:16 AM
User Info
I'm a big fan of VDH Deluxe, it's an excellent low cost soap that is readily available. If I had opted to use my VDH instead of the Ogallala my total cost for today's shave would have been around $5 or $6, but I felt like going with the Ogallala today.

I have some more expensive gear too, and even that stuff is cheaper than using cartridges (at least in the long run), but sometimes it's nice to know that you can get great results without having to worry about the upfront costs. There's nothing wrong with expensive gear, I just enjoy showing folks that low cost gear can work well too.

6 327
 03-17-2013, 11:21 AM
User Info
Let me see....

$10 straight razor restored from ebay (okay technically I put $70 of labor into it, but still...)

$15 strop

$20 soap

$15 boar brush

That's about as low as I'd go for any of the products I use.

Hovering around $20 per item is still loads cheaper than carts and canned foam.

9 2,988
 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM
User Info
Ah yes, economical shaves, I remember those. I actually resisted buying "stuff" for about 8 months or so. It's certainly possible to shave inexpensively "in the present" if that's what one chooses to or is forced to do.

WegianWarrior put together an inexpensive shave kit awhile back, but you may have his beat for low price.

But I choose another road. I hated shaving for 40 years, you have no idea how much I hated it. I'll die someday and I actually enjoy shaving now. I intend to enjoy what life I have remaining, and shaving is a daily part of that and I actually look forward to my daily shave. I could shave with just an ARKO stick, one razor, one brush, and maintain hygeine, but it's so much more enjoyable to have a shave cabinet of gear to rotate through. When I finally do push up daisies my widow will sell my gear and get quite a bit of the $ back, and I'll have shaved inexpensively but will have enjoyed the ride.

32 6,309
 03-17-2013, 01:28 PM
User Info
(03-17-2013, 01:10 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Ah yes, economical shaves, I remember those. I actually resisted buying "stuff" for about 8 months or so. It's certainly possible to shave inexpensively "in the present" if that's what one chooses to or is forced to do.

WegianWarrior put together an inexpensive shave kit awhile back, but you may have his beat for low price.

But I choose another road. I hated shaving for 40 years, you have no idea how much I hated it. I'll die someday and I actually enjoy shaving now. I intend to enjoy what life I have remaining, and shaving is a daily part of that and I actually look forward to my daily shave. I could shave with just an ARKO stick, one razor, one brush, and maintain hygeine, but it's so much more enjoyable to have a shave cabinet of gear to rotate through. When I finally do push up daisies my widow will sell my gear and get quite a bit of the $ back, and I'll have shaved inexpensively but will have enjoyed the ride.

I agree with you for the most part, but for me, at this point in time, money is too much an object. I still have a great deal of stuff to rotate, and it definitely makes it more enjoyable, but I actually had anxiety adding a puck of MWF in my last order, at about $18 I think.

A lot of my gear has been given to me as a gift, or from a PIF, and for that I am incredibly grateful and fortunate, but what I do buy, I always take price foremost into consideration.

Also consider this: I currently own two brushes—am Omega 10049 and Semogue 1305. The Semogue was a gift, the Omega I bought for $9. The only other brushes I see myself owning will be my restores. I have two handles, and have picked two badger knots. That will have me at 2 boars and 2 badgers, with the total cost of materials being probably around $60. The astronomical costs of some brushes, I find simply astounding.

Kind of went off on a tangent, there. My bad.

2 362
 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM
User Info
For some of us cost is a big issue. Price shouldn't be the main factor when choosing gear, but it should definitely be a factor.

If you like MWF, then you can get a refill puck from Connaught Shaving for around $11 including shipping. They tend to run out quickly, but they also restock fairly quickly too. http://www.connaughtshaving.com/mitchellsrefill.html

AND if you're looking for a good low cost razor, not made of plastic, then the Sodial (a.k.a. Ri'Mei, a.k.a. Silverstone) is available on Amazon for $2.29 with free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A723...E0R7NUAYCW

6 327
 03-17-2013, 06:58 PM
User Info
Straight= $135.00
Brush= $42.00
TSD lanolin soap= $8.99
Shave Secret=$3.50
Aqua Velva= $6.00
Afta= $2.00
After Shave/Cologne= all $10.00 or under
Strop=$13.00
I've had the straight for over a year now and the brush is almost 3 years old. The strop is almost 2 years old. Forgot to add the barber's hone for $30.00

My hardware will last the rest of my life. The only things to replace are the software and most I usually pay for that stuff anymore is under ten bucks. I've tried expensive soaps and creams, but the ten dollar stuff stikes a good balance.

0 372
 03-17-2013, 07:09 PM
User Info
I've seriously thought about getting a straight and looking at the cost as a good long term investment, you can't beat a blade that (with proper care) never needs to be replaced.

6 327
 03-18-2013, 02:54 AM
User Info
Shave kit = 10 to 1000$
Perfect shaves and a daily moment of zen = Priceless

I've found that the quality of the shave usually don't relate to the cost of the razor, brush and soaps; rather it relates to the mindset one have once you close the bathroom door and get started.

3 3,575
 03-18-2013, 05:05 AM
User Info
(03-18-2013, 02:54 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Shave kit = 10 to 1000$
Perfect shaves and a daily moment of zen = Priceless

I've found that the quality of the shave usually don't relate to the cost of the razor, brush and soaps; rather it relates to the mindset one have once you close the bathroom door and get started.

+10

However, this thread can certainly help those just starting out on a tight budget.

VDH Premium Set, includes soap, boar brush and bowl: $9.00
Astra Platinum: 9.82/ 100: $10
Razorock DE Razor: $15-$20
Aqua Velva Ice Sport: $3.50-$6.00

3 285
 03-18-2013, 05:27 AM
User Info
^ That was kind of the point I was trying to get across - it don't matter how little or how much you spend on shave gear (as Brian mentioned, I've suggested a 10$ starter kit a while back). What matters - in my opinion, and your mileage may vary - is the mindset.

If you enter the bathroom with the wrong mindset, not even the priciest, most luxurious products can give you a good shave. Enter with the right mindset on the other hand, and even the cheapest gear can give you a great experience. So just get some gear and start shaving Tongue

3 3,575
 03-18-2013, 06:05 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The only way to get a great budget shave is stick with one razor,blade,brush,shave soap/cream,balm and after shave without buying and selling and never deviate from this routine. Of course for most of us this is impossibleBiggrin

100 12,442
 03-18-2013, 09:33 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I'm not going to try too hard to figure out what I paid for shipping or didn't, but my cheap shave looks like this:

Brush: Omega Pro 49 ($10)
Razor: Schick Injector ($15)
Blade: Personna ($1)
Soap: Arko Stick ($4)
Aftershave: Nivea AS Gel ($3.50)
Total: $33.50

I could save a little money here or there, but since the brush and razor are good for literally hundreds of uses, and I don't need to save $20, I'm not too concerned about it. Arko is a great shave performer for a low cost. I could also spend a few extra dollars there and get a soap with similar performance that pampers my skin a bit.

This is still less money than the number of cartridges I'd use in a quarter, shaving 5-6 times a week, and the only thing that won't last is the blade, and my next blade purchase for the injector will be in more bulk and much less per unit.

10 1,858
 03-18-2013, 11:36 AM
User Info
(03-17-2013, 07:09 PM)Jabberwock Wrote: I've seriously thought about getting a straight and looking at the cost as a good long term investment, you can't beat a blade that (with proper care) never needs to be replaced.

It's definitely the best cheapest way to shave on a per shave basis.

9 2,988
 03-18-2013, 02:50 PM
User Info
On a per shave basis, most reasonable combinations (i.e., no $300 brushes) are a bargain compared to the latest carts and canned gels. My observation from reading the forums is that inventory costs (a cabinet full of stuff that's not needed, or worse, not used) is where this hobby gets expensive. But people collect all kinds of things, so why not razors, brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves, colognes, etc.?

For me, though, it's still just shaving.

0 140
 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(03-18-2013, 06:05 AM)slantman Wrote: The only way to get a great budget shave is stick with one razor,blade,brush,shave soap/cream,balm and after shave without buying and selling and never deviate from this routine. Of course for most of us this is impossibleBiggrin

Signs011

15 541
 03-19-2013, 06:58 AM
User Info
Dunno why you went all out on the soap.

You coulda used bath soap. Technically that's free.

0 193
 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I do enjoy having cheap but effective gear in my rotation, but it seldom all gets used at once like this. If it came right down to it, if it were this shave or cartidges and goo, I would be happy using this combo everyday.

Razor $2.50 '58 Gillette SuperSpeed from The Salvation Army store
Blades - don't remember the price, generic Personnas from WallyWorld
Brush $5.99 Burma Shave from a local mom & pop drug store
Soap $1.19 William's from Ingles
Aftershave $3.89 Barbasol from Ingles
Mixed in a $1 salsa bowl identical to Jabberwock's from WallyWorld

Less than $20, and all bought in a little town of only 10,000 people

[Image: ry%3D480]

0 270