04-04-2012, 07:33 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
My BAD hit full swing this month and I now have a potential 3 wood-handled brushes on their way to me. A Turkish No. 6 horsehair, a Semogue Owners Club boar, and I suggested to my dad to try turning a handle for me for a space TGN silvertip knot I have.

So far I've been using only plastic or resin handles, so water exposure hasn't been much of an issue. I was hoping to get some of the more experienced members advice in proper ways to use and store and what to look out for with wood brushes in order to keep them strong for many, many years.

Thanks!

35 1,732
 04-04-2012, 07:52 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Be sure to keep them clean and dry after shaving, that's it.

4 313
 04-04-2012, 07:57 AM
User Info
Some woods are more resistant to water than others but I always recommend a regular application of a light mineral oil or even shaving oil as required.
A few drops massaged into the wood, let soak for 10 minutes, wipe off excess and leave to dry.
Then you can buff the handle with a cloth or as I recommend a good quality shoe shine brush.
The above applies to handles that haven't been varnished or painted.
I always favour an oiled-only wood for shaving brushes.
regards, beejay

0 39
 04-04-2012, 08:08 AM
User Info
Bill, your post at TSR about the neatsfoot oil and how to take care of horn-handled brushes has helped me a lot!
Thank you very much!

2 5,527
 04-04-2012, 09:29 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
One thing I've noticed about standing my brushes on end is that they sometimes leave a small puddle of water under them in their drying location. I was thinking that if I got a Semogue I'd need to be careful about that, and maybe dry it on a cloth or something.

10 1,858
 04-04-2012, 09:58 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
For any brush I usually shake it out after rinsing, squeezing it out inside of a towel (gently) and then brushing the towel with the tips. This seems to take care of a majority of the water.

The SOC I recieved yesterday is my first wood handled brush also. The brush has a varnish on it that should be pretty protective. It's not super thick (and I wouldn't expect it to be) but I wouldn't worry as long as I do the above to dry it and don't keep it floating in a bowl of water.

0 353
 04-04-2012, 10:08 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Good advice here.I follow what Leon recommends but Ill try the mineral oils too.
Thanks getns!

86 7,123
 04-04-2012, 10:40 AM
User Info
(04-04-2012, 07:52 AM)Leon Wrote: Be sure to keep them clean and dry after shaving, that's it.

+1 Great advice. They are not as difficult to care for as you would think.

75 20,883
 04-04-2012, 11:04 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Thanks everyone, good to know they just need a simple drying after each shave. Now it's just a waiting game for it to arrive from Ireland!

35 1,732