03-18-2013, 05:31 PM
User Info
Recently a discussion was made about various boar knots from China and how they were "difficult" to break in. So I decided to buy some from ACE Shaving and try one for myself.

I took the 20 mm Boar knot and put it through about 2 weeks of break in before placing it into a custom handle. The wooden handle is saturated stained with three layers of polyurethane with a final overall coating (outside and inside the hole) with clear epoxy. The handle is also heavily weighted.

After an additional 2 weeks it became very soft at the tips and the knot still has good backbone. It creates a good lather and smoothly applies it to the face, both in the bowl or face lathering. So even though they do take more time and effort than Semogue or Omega boar knots, the finished product can provide a nice brush.

[Image: Boarwith20mmACEknot_zps916b6b9d.png]

1 2,827
 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Another great looking creation Gary, congratulations!

91 17,876
 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM
User Info
That looks to be a well packed boar knot Gary. Nice looking brush all the way around!

6 1,224
 03-18-2013, 06:26 PM
User Info
+1 what Gary wrote.

Over a year ago now I purchased over 100 chinese boar brushes and sold them on another forum. They cost me $.50 each and I figured even if they fell apart in a few months of use they'd be good enough for handing out to noobs.

I began using one and after break in I'll be darned if it wasn't quite a nice little brush. I have far more expensive brushes with fancier handles, but I still use that $.50 chinese boar to this day. Now I wish I had kept a lot more of the brushes than I did.

32 6,311
 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
I recently moved two of my favorite boars into my rotation after a long hibernation. I had forgotten how comfortable and pleasant a boar can be. The Semogue 830 and Omega 31064 are well broken-in and so nice to use.

Gary, congratulations on another winning brush. I've come to think that ACE Shaving's knots are excellent, and I personally know that the work you do is the very best, too. You've done the hard part--breaking it in. Will you be offering a complete line of broken-in boar brushes? Rolleyes

0 254
 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-18-2013, 05:31 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Recently a discussion was made about various boar knots from China and how they were "difficult" to break in. So I decided to buy some from ACE Shaving and try one for myself...

Hi Gary

Please excuse the "slightly" off tangent question, but with this thread (2-Band Finest knot from ACE Shaving) and now this thread I have to ask...

In your experience how do the knots offered via ACE Shaving compare to those offered via The Golden Nib? I'm especially interested in your opinion between the 2-Band Finest offerings.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-19-2013, 03:19 PM
User Info
(03-19-2013, 02:37 PM)mikeperry Wrote:
(03-18-2013, 05:31 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Recently a discussion was made about various boar knots from China and how they were "difficult" to break in. So I decided to buy some from ACE Shaving and try one for myself...

Hi Gary

Please excuse the "slightly" off tangent question, but with this thread (2-Band Finest knot from ACE Shaving) and now this thread I have to ask...

In your experience how do the knots offered via ACE Shaving compare to those offered via The Golden Nib? I'm especially interested in your opinion between the 2-Band Finest offerings.

Take care, Mike

The first one I used was to assemble Mark's RV brush. I noted that it is very close to similar looking when dry compared to my TGN Finest. The knot was packed tightly but flexed well when dry. To the dry touch I thought the ACE was slightly softer at the tip. I think it can become a very good knot in the restorer's arsenal.

1 2,827
 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-19-2013, 03:19 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: The first one I used was to assemble Mark's RV brush. I noted that it is very close to similar looking when dry compared to my TGN Finest. The knot was packed tightly but flexed well when dry. To the dry touch I thought the ACE was slightly softer at the tip. I think it can become a very good knot in the restorer's arsenal.

Hi Gary

Thank you for your honest assessment Thumbsup

Just checking, is this, 2 Pieces Of Finest Badger Hair Shaving Brush Knot 24mm, the one you used in "Mark's RV brush"?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM
User Info
(03-19-2013, 03:49 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Just checking, is this, 2 Pieces Of Finest Badger Hair Shaving Brush Knot 24mm, the one you used in "Mark's RV brush"?

Take care, Mike

Yes.

1 2,827
 01-20-2014, 04:47 PM
User Info
 01-21-2014, 08:42 PM
User Info
That is an impressive looking brush. Your skills are amazing.

0 59