03-19-2013, 08:04 AM
#1
User Info
My Electric razor scales were damaged. One of the little loops was cracked off. I figured I could fix it by making another loop (1/16) out of another piece of Bakelite scale which I did.
To fit it in place and not use butt joints I made little pockets where the loop would be inserted into making a stronger joint.
I also damaged the scale when drilling out the pin the drill bit slipped of center and dug a hole alongside the pin making two holes in the hinge end. So I had to fix that as well.
The other thing I made were new washers in stainless steel.
The originals were shot because of my mishap and the ones you can buy ,#0 , are just too big for a proper restoration look. So I make my own.
Polishing all those little nooks and crannies was a pain as something this delicate just can't go near a buffer for a quick shine.
I didn't take the blade to a full mirror as it would have looked out of place.

[Image: pEgGFgz.jpg]

[Image: Hs7jcBe.jpg]

[Image: HOgUM0V.jpg]

[Image: 2pUuUVj.jpg]

[Image: dHl3JTt.jpg]

[Image: UZOPsLk.jpg]

[Image: usmVK1g.jpg]

[Image: joughSe.jpg]

[Image: ISXJzU2.jpg]

0 772
Reply
 03-19-2013, 10:25 AM
#2
  • mikeperry
  • Senior Member
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Mark

Very! delicate work...

Do you mean you used half-lap joints (either end) to attach the new loop piece in? Could you please share a photo showing the new loop piece in it's final position? Did you use epoxy of something else to attach the new loop piece?

Nice work on cleaning up the pin hole damage and the new handmade steel washers Thumbsup

Would it possible to share a photo or two showing the complete razor after finishing all the restoration work?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
Reply
 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM
#3
User Info
Yes Mike, that's essentially what I did. On the left side ( toward the hinge) I made a small pocket for the end to slide into. On the other end I created a small flat for the loop to lay against. This way I ended up with a much stronger joint instead of taking the simple path of just butting it up against the ends of the loop. One bump and it would have fell off I'm sure as there just isn't enough surface area to support it.
In the photo it looks large only because you're viewing an elongated opening instead of a straight on shot because of the shape of the loop. It doesn't insert straight into the pocket.

[Image: Oo9WBTX.jpg]

0 772
Reply
 03-20-2013, 09:10 AM
#4
  • mikeperry
  • Senior Member
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-19-2013, 05:44 PM)mycarver Wrote: Yes Mike, that's essentially what I did. On the left side ( toward the hinge) I made a small pocket for the end to slide into. On the other end I created a small flat for the loop to lay against...

Hi Mark

Thank you Smile

That is some intricate work...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
Reply
 03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
#5
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Out of my league. Take a steady hand and a lot of patience to do something like that. I have neither.

173 23,554
Reply
 03-20-2013, 08:37 PM
#6
User Info
Wow, great and intricate work, Mark!

75 20,883
Reply
 03-20-2013, 09:07 PM
#7
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Congratulations on a fine restoration!

91 17,876
Reply
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)