03-20-2013, 09:36 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info

This morning I used my Star Kampfe lather catcher for the first time, well first time with the blade properly loaded anyway. The first, first time I didn't have the retaining spring/lever behind the blade but assumed it was used to tension the blade up against the blade holders rather then forward against the blade stops. The first, first shave was not good and left me a bit cut up. The second, first shave, with the blade properly loaded, was a masterpiece. The tremendous blade feedback, both audibly and vibratory (I could actually feel the whiskers getting cut through the lightweight hallow handle), made finding the right angle foolproof and the sharp Treet carbon steel blade made short work of my beard in three passes with a small touch-up.

The appearance of this razor is very classic with script covering the entire backside of the razor. The whole razor is very light in the hands yet feels well made (it has to be to survive over a century). Once the blade is loaded (properly) the razor becomes pretty intimidating as it sits a good bit above the open comb leading one to believe that there is no way this could turn out well. Well, it did! This is the best shave experience I have had from a single edge razor, including OCMM and several Schick Injectors. Those other razors give me great shaves, but nowhere near as much feedback as I got from this morning's shave. Now, four hours after shaving, my face is still smooth and irritation free. I may be jumping the gun on the greatness of this razor, but I highly doubt it.

Anybody else enjoy using their Star Kampfe? Post up some pictures if you can. I will try and get some better pictures of my own.

127 2,390
 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Could you show a picture of the blade properly loaded...I,m not sure my lather catcher by GEM works or looks the same....really would appreciate another view.Huh

6 1,913
 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM
User Info
I love the looks of the lather catchers for sure. I just didn't along with the type of shave they delivered. Enjoy that beauty of a razor!

31 7,914
 03-20-2013, 06:32 PM
User Info
Not a Star Kampfe, but a Kampfe '13.

FWIW, it's the most aggressive SE razor I own.

All photos before replating.
[Image: DSC03481-1.jpg]

[Image: DSC03474-1.jpg]

32 6,309
 03-20-2013, 09:23 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-20-2013, 02:58 PM)Harvey Wrote: Could you show a picture of the blade properly loaded...I,m not sure my lather catcher by GEM works or looks the same....really would appreciate another view.Huh

I will be happy to do that for you, it may be the weekend by the time I get to it though.

That's a great looking razor Brian, I haven't seen that one before.

127 2,390
 03-21-2013, 09:40 AM
User Info
I just got it a few days ago and have not had the chance to clean it.
The case is tiny, just enough to hold the head,the handle that breaks into two parts and a sideburns "shavette".
The bottom lid covers a second smaller compartment where the blade is stored, attached to a clip. The blade looks new...
[Image: IMG_20130321_102204.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20130321_102636.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20130321_102849.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20130321_102506.jpg]

I really can't wait to get it cleaned and ready for a spin.

6 808
 03-21-2013, 12:04 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Nice haul Galhatz, the razor and box look to be in wonderful condition! I believe the "shavette" you are referring to is actually a blade holder used while stropping the blade. These razors are from an era when a single blade would be resharpened and stropped regularly and used until unusable. The disposable blade wasn't around at the time, but according to my (one) test do work well.

127 2,390
 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM
User Info
I thought that "shavette" was something like a sideburns trimmer or something like that. If this is indeed for stropping it, now I am tempted to get that blade re-honed...

6 808
 03-21-2013, 08:24 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
For Harvey:

First make sure the blade retaining spring (pointed out with the pen) is clipped over the back edge of the razor, the blade will not seat properly without this clip and this was the mistake I made the first time I tried to use the razor. It was NOT a good experience.

With the clip secured on the back end of the razor slide your blade in under the two side retainers and push the blade all the way forward until resting against both blade stops located on the outer edges of the open comb.

Once the blade is seated properly on both blade stops and centered lift the tab of the blade retaining spring up off the back of the razor and the tension will guide it to rest on the spine of the razor blade holding it securely. At this point make sure to double check that the blade is still on the blade stops, centered and secure. Then take your time and really take care to use very little pressure, just enough to keep the blade on your face. Starting with the blade almost lying flat against your face start increasing the blade angle until you hear (and feel) the blade cutting hairs. This is actually very easy as the razor gives more feedback than any other DE or SE razor I have ever used. Make sure to post back with your experience(s) when you get a chance.

127 2,390
 03-22-2013, 03:14 AM
User Info
Nice pictorial. Thank you.

24 212
 03-22-2013, 08:56 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-22-2013, 03:14 AM)Moe Wrote: Nice pictorial. Thank you.

Thanks Moe, I'm starting to get pretty good at taking pics with my cell. I just wish my wife would give me our digital camera to play with, but apparently baby pics and soccer team photos are the higher priority. Huh Rolleyes

127 2,390
 09-29-2013, 07:05 PM
User Info
Just shaved for my first time using a star SE new model safety razor no more disposables for this guy loved the smooth shave an to my surprise no cuts at all just an amazing smooth shave I'm hooked can't stress it enough can't believe that people left this great past time an went to disposables the new generations are missing out big time!!!!

0 10
 09-30-2013, 01:29 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I'm still using this amazing razor a few times a month. The upside is that I get a BBS after three passes with no nicks or irritation as long as I keep the blade angle low. The downside is there is hardly anything to shave the following morning... Cool

127 2,390