03-20-2013, 11:59 AM
User Info
For me it was a long anticipated release. Tonight, if I can wait that long, I'll devour it.

The previous thread re: Part 1 is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>here<<<<<<<<<<<<

FWIW, Netflix also has The Fountainhead, another of Ayn Rands books. It's fantastic as well.

32 6,309
 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM
User Info
I'll be renting it from Amazon. I understand it almost wasn't made.

It has been a long wait.

2 546
 03-20-2013, 01:50 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Thanks for the update. I enjoyed part 1, will have to see if I can get to part 2 before I go to St. Thomas on Sunday.

14 1,177
 03-20-2013, 02:04 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I remember reading The Fountainhead in my late teens and seeing the Gary Cooper, Patricia Neal movie. I never had the desire to attempt Atlas Shrugged.

2 11,211
 03-20-2013, 02:07 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Ayn Rand? I thought we were supposed to keep politics out of the Nook. Perhaps she wrote half-decent fiction, but that's about where it begins and ends in here I hope.

0 1,625
 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(03-20-2013, 02:07 PM)Shaun Wrote: Ayn Rand? I thought we were supposed to keep politics out of the Nook. Perhaps she wrote half-decent fiction, but that's about where it begins and ends in here I hope.

Shaun, I read The Fountainhead just as a novel, not for any political suggestions in her writings.

2 11,211
 03-20-2013, 02:46 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Perhaps, Freddy, but it isn't much of a stretch to associate Rand's fiction and her well-known, polarising politics. The one goes with the other, I'm afraid and my concern is that this thread will whip up an unfortunate exchange. It always does where Rand is concerned because it positions people. I am not saying I disagree with Rand, or agree, but just issuing a note of caution. Personally, I don't like her fiction because I find her devoid of style; her expression terse and her characters two-dimensional hero stereotypes. Hers are hackneyed literary tropes.

There are just simply better writers in abundance, particularly the 'modern' Americans with a wonderfully inward-turning critical eye. No one does it quite like the American novelist, and this, coming from a British-born Australian.

Carson McCullers? Truman Capote? More recent and important and incisive cultural commentator novelists like Bret Easton Ellis...? You have so many to choose from, testament to free-press and an open society.

I won't comment further on the subject. Each to their own.

0 1,625
 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM
User Info
I've never heard of Atlas Shrugged until now. I must be farther out of the loop than I thought.

0 372
 03-20-2013, 06:35 PM
User Info
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be checking it out!

0 836
 03-20-2013, 06:40 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-20-2013, 03:50 PM)Williams Warrior Wrote: I've never heard of Atlas Shrugged until now. I must be farther out of the loop than I thought.

Don't worry Keith, I'm right there with you.

173 23,546
 03-20-2013, 06:46 PM
User Info
I wonder how long it will be before part 3 will be filmed. I was left wanting more, yet again, after watching this part.

Never having read the book I wouldn't know if it followed the storyline, but the website did mention that pt 3 will follow the book more faithfully.

Shaun, this wasn't presented as a political post merely a heads up about a movie. I would ask that people refrain from any further references to politics in this thread.

FWIW, the movie first came up not about a discussion about politics so much as a discussion about red tape as it related to my Bay Rum as I was trying to get it sent to folks outside of the state of Maine. Atlas Shrugged pt1 came out, or I discovered it, as I was going through my maze of red tape and it was too apropos to ignore.

32 6,309
 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
I hadn't seen other threads (were there any?) but usually mention of the name 'Rand' leads to trouble in the same way that 'Objectivism' always seems to; just saying. I didn't want to raise it, but was fearful it might come up as it invariably does, as people harbour very strong feelings about her thoughts, literature and so-called philosophy. But thanks for the heads up about the movie; no offense intended, and please accept my apologies for having inadvertently caused an upset or touched on a sensitive issue. This was not my intention. We are all open minded and intelligent people here and can take on board different points of view, I trust.

Oh I see there was a previous thread; I missed that...most unfortunate set of exchanges; seems my concern was valid, albeit retrospectively.

0 1,625
 03-20-2013, 08:35 PM
User Info
Shaun, it's philosophy, not politics. In fact no where in the movie is politics even mentioned. But again, this thread was just a heads up for folks wanting to watch the 2nd part of the movie.

Other folks who can't differentiate the 2 need to make it more.

One could just as easily claim it's religious since it deals with theft.

But what it is is a movie dealing with a deep philosophical issue, and this thread is not for the discussion of it, just to let folks know that the 2nd part has been released.

Could a mod please close this thread? TIA

32 6,309
 03-20-2013, 08:45 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
I have no doubt you're right, and thanks for posting. I read it as simply a heads up, no issue personally.

BTW I have a higher degree in philosophy. I was mentored and taught by the very eminent Emeritus Professor Gyorgy Markus, himself a student of Gyorgy Lukacs.

0 1,625
 03-21-2013, 02:32 AM
  • freddy
User Info
While I won't close the whole thread, yet, I do agree with you Brian. Shaun, everyone was talking about this as just a movie to watch and no one was suggesting politics, which is not a subject for discussion here. That aspect of this thread is closed. Enjoy the movie, those who see it. Smile

2 11,211
 03-21-2013, 03:45 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Enjoy.

0 1,625
 03-21-2013, 08:10 AM
User Info
haven't read the book or seen the movies yet myself.

I've been told that the book is incredibly dry.

40 5,830
 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
User Info
(03-21-2013, 08:10 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: haven't read the book or seen the movies yet myself.

In an effort to keep the tone constructive, it would also be safe to say that watching the movie will take less time than reading the book. Wink

This is true, of course, of ANY book but if / when you ever see the book in the flesh you will see the humor in my comment. I can promise you that a grin will cross your face and a chuckle with pass your lips.

6 323
 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM
  • freddy
User Info
(03-21-2013, 07:44 PM)Captain Capsize Wrote:
(03-21-2013, 08:10 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: haven't read the book or seen the movies yet myself.

In an effort to keep the tone constructive, it would also be safe to say that watching the movie will take less time than reading the book. Wink

This is true, of course, of ANY book but if / when you ever see the book in the flesh you will see the humor in my comment. I can promise you that a grin will cross your face and a chuckle with pass your lips.

Captain, I've seen the book and you are so right. 24

2 11,211
 03-24-2013, 05:57 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thank you for the heads up Brian. Great timing as I actually just made it through the book. Cool

I hope that the movies stay true to the original story. I'm sure that a third and possibly fourth part may be necessary to tell the whole story!

6 905