03-21-2013, 05:34 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
With the impending release of both the PlayStation 4 and XBox 720, my friends and I are looking to break away from consoles and into the world of PC Gaming.

We're all new to PC gaming and have no idea what we need or what to look for. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to try and build one, so looking for something out of the box with a warranty.

Gonna be looking for a machine to play games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Crysis, Arma / DayZ, Minecraft, etc.

Anyone have any buying tips or suggestions for what I need or things that I should be looking for?

Been doing a little research, does this one look any good?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/CyberPowerPC...Id=6898006

13 599
 03-21-2013, 06:08 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Matt I don't know anything about PC gaming but I'm curios as to why the switch? I had heard about the new PlayStation but this is the first I've heard of the Xbox 720.

45 3,955
 03-21-2013, 07:12 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I build my own and have exclusively been gaming on PC for about 13 years, the last console I owned was a Sega Dreamcast. The computer you listed is some what decent, the processor and ram are there, but the video card is very weak and mostly suited for a HTPC or just fiddling around on the net. Although it could probably play some older games, recent or future games will most likely need their detail settings cranked down low to be playable, and even then you will probably get some choppiness/stuttering.

I would say you could buy it and then upgrade the card, but a decent mid-range gaming card will run about $150-200 alone and I can't really recommend one for that particular PC as they do not list the power supply stats, a mid to high end gaming card will need plenty of power.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_1000

There is a decent mid-range gaming pc direct from CyberPower and it's not much more than the one you listed, as it's listed it won't win any speed records but it will play most current games around medium settings, you can tinker with the options and upgrade the video card a step or two if desired...I'd also recommend bumping the power supply up to about 600w...the 350w they have selected is a bit weak.

31 1,510
 03-21-2013, 07:35 AM
User Info
I much prefer console gaming, but Skyrim is mod-able on the PC... so when my desktop needed replacing recently I got a mid-upper range gaming PC:
- NZXT Phantom Special Edition tower
- XFX ProSeries Black Edition 1250W PSU
- Intel Core i5-3570K Processor
- Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler
- ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, Socket-1155 Motherboard
- Kingston DDR3 HyperX blu 1600MHz 32GB
- PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 Graphics card
- Corsair SSD Neutron Series GTX 240GB SSD
- Western Digital Desktop Green 2TB Hard Drive
...plus odds and ends.

Basically for a gaming PC you'll want a good graphics card, lots of RAM and a big PSU. A fast CPU and a SSD to run the OS from is a plus too.

I would also avoid Win8 for now - Win7 is supported by more games.

3 3,580
 03-21-2013, 07:40 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
I actually have my IT guy on the look for a new gaming PC starting yesterday. It takes a long while to find the right deal to build a PC from scratch. One coming out of the box is a different set of problems.

The out of box PC is weak on ram and the 3D card is pretty bad by today's standards. My IT guy friend then went nuts about that 3D card with how it is now a $40 card.

1 111
 03-21-2013, 08:07 AM
User Info
what's your budget? are you able to build your own?

40 5,830
 03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Thanks for the replies guys.

Not up to the task of building my own and I'd like to keep the price in the 500-750 range.

I figure if I could find one in that price range and then modify it slightly with something simple like some extra ram, that would be fine.

I like how you can pick and choose what you want on this site. I'd probably back off of the 1TB down to like 500GB and put that money into something like bumping it from 3.2 to 3.5 Ghz.

(03-21-2013, 07:12 AM)Arcadies Wrote: I build my own and have exclusively been gaming on PC for about 13 years, the last console I owned was a Sega Dreamcast. The computer you listed is some what decent, the processor and ram are there, but the video card is very weak and mostly suited for a HTPC or just fiddling around on the net. Although it could probably play some older games, recent or future games will most likely need their detail settings cranked down low to be playable, and even then you will probably get some choppiness/stuttering.

I would say you could buy it and then upgrade the card, but a decent mid-range gaming card will run about $150-200 alone and I can't really recommend one for that particular PC as they do not list the power supply stats, a mid to high end gaming card will need plenty of power.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_1000

There is a decent mid-range gaming pc direct from CyberPower and it's not much more than the one you listed, as it's listed it won't win any speed records but it will play most current games around medium settings, you can tinker with the options and upgrade the video card a step or two if desired...I'd also recommend bumping the power supply up to about 600w...the 350w they have selected is a bit weak.

13 599