03-21-2013, 09:36 AM
User Info
Hi All,

I'm new to the Double Edge Razor world. It's been pretty awesome reading all of your informative, interesting posts on the world of shaving. Smile

(Up to this point I've grown up knowing no better, and using a manual Cartridge-based Razor (i.e., Gillette Mach 2, 3, etc.). I got tired of paying $20 - $30+ for a pack of 5 Cartridges and am ready to make the jump to Safety Razors and real shaving! Smile

* What is a good New Double Edge Safety Razor that you'd recommend for a newbie like me?

As an FYI, I don't bother growing out a full beard (I always shave it down every few days, so that's how much facial hair I deal with on a regular basis). I see the Merkur Model 180 seems to be a popular choice on some websites (and on Amazon).

Reading a bit more on Safety Razors, I think I'd want to start with Close Comb, since it is the "safest" of the Safety Razor styles (correct?), and least chance of me decapitating myself. Biggrin

(If you have a starting Blade to recommend with that Razor, please let me know as well.)

Thanks!

3 270
 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
With out a doubt you should start with a Edwin Jagger DE89. It's a perfect razor for a new wet shaver. Mild and smooth and a great value.

45 3,955
 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
I second the Edwin Jagger DE89. I gave both my uncle and my brother Edwin Jagger razors when they started wet shaving.

If you are looking to start a little cheaper I would also recommend a boar brush. In my opinion you can start with a great boar brush for only $20 versus the $50+ for a great badger.

1 111
 03-21-2013, 10:04 AM
User Info
The EJ DE89 is a good recommendation. First thing that came to my mind, too.

Another is the Merkur HD. It's in the same "mildness" group and a nice razor, thought perhaps not as nicely finished as the EJ.

As for blades, I definitely recommend Derbys to begin. Others here with more experience than I may have other recommendations. Avoid Feathers at the beginning at all costs!

For a few dollars more, you can get a Merkur Progress--or better yet--a Merkur Futur, both adjustable razors. Or, if economy is your game, a vintage Gillette Slim or Fatboy, also adjustables.

An adjustable razor will allow you to have a mild razor to start with and one that can be set to increasingly aggressive settings that you might desire as your wet shaving experience builds. In other words, a razor that you won't outgrow.

I have seven razors and I was surprised recently when I noticed that five of them were adjustables.

I wish you good luck. Razor's are pretty easy. Don't even get me started on brushes.

1 50
 03-21-2013, 10:09 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
EJ89 would be my recommendation as well as a 1st new razor.

1. nice price
2. nice finishing
3. nice performance

Smile

102 17,668
 03-21-2013, 10:13 AM
User Info
EJ89 and Merkur HD are very well liked. I recommend an adjustable, specifically the merkur progress.

Don't look now but there is one in the trading forum right now for less money than the two non-adjustables ..........

3 69
 03-21-2013, 10:19 AM
User Info
(03-21-2013, 09:39 AM)tgutc Wrote: With out a doubt you should start with a Edwin Jagger DE89. It's a perfect razor for a new wet shaver. Mild and smooth and a great value.

(03-21-2013, 09:56 AM)Theido Wrote: I second the Edwin Jagger DE89. I gave both my uncle and my brother Edwin Jagger razors when they started wet shaving.

If you are looking to start a little cheaper I would also recommend a boar brush. In my opinion you can start with a great boar brush for only $20 versus the $50+ for a great badger.

(03-21-2013, 10:04 AM)Piper Down Wrote: The EJ DE89 is a good recommendation. First thing that came to my mind, too.

Another is the Merkur HD. It's in the same "mildness" group and a nice razor, thought perhaps not as nicely finished as the EJ.

As for blades, I definitely recommend Derbys to begin. Others here with more experience than I may have other recommendations. Avoid Feathers at the beginning at all costs!

For a few dollars more, you can get a Merkur Progress--or better yet--a Merkur Futur, both adjustable razors. Or, if economy is your game, a vintage Gillette Slim or Fatboy, also adjustables.

An adjustable razor will allow you to have a mild razor to start with and one that can be set to increasingly aggressive settings that you might desire as your wet shaving experience builds. In other words, a razor that you won't outgrow.

I have seven razors and I was surprised recently when I noticed that five of them were adjustables.

I wish you good luck. Razor's are pretty easy. Don't even get me started on brushes.

Hi tgutc, Theido, Piper Down,

Thanks for the fast replies! Smile Much appreciated.

3 Votes for the Edwin Jagger DE89... looks like I should go for that one. Smile

Looking at West Coast Shaving's website (or if you all recommend a different vendor let me know), I notice that there are 5 different "Edwin Jagger DE89"s available.

Looking more closely, I see that it's mainly the handle that's different? (DE89, DE89L, DE89811 (Octagonal grip), DE89BA11 (Barley Chrome?), DE8911)

Is there a real difference between them? Or should I just get the regular DE89?

Also, any recommendations on a good Blade to match the Razor? Smile Or should I try one of those Sampler Packs of Blades that Amazon is selling (like a 50 Pack of 7 Different Blades, etc.)

Thanks!

3 270
 03-21-2013, 10:20 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
My first razor was the EJ89L, and it's a very good razor. I don't regret buying it, because it is a very good razor. And I recommend you to buy one.

However, I will recommend a Feather Popular as a first razor. It is very forgiving, even with a wicked sharp blade. Pair it with a sharp blade, and you will have smooth shaves, and minimal chance of nicks and cuts. This is as always a YMMV, but this is just my $0.02

7 858
 03-21-2013, 10:26 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
All the EJ89 models have the same head, and vary only in terms of handle. This is mainly a cosmetic choice, although I would recommend the lined one as it has somewhat better grip.

I highly recommend a sampler pack of blades ... different blades work for different people ... so this is the best way to try several brands/types.

In terms of vendors, I would recommend any one of the vendors listed in the 'vendor section' of this forum.

I would avoid Amazon for shaving-related items ... unless you're in a pinch. You never know what you're going to get in terms of age/condition of items, even though they are 'new'. This is my experience at least ... good luck.

102 17,668
 03-21-2013, 10:30 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
As Ravi has stated they all have the same closed comb head just different handles. No difference in the shave just pick the handle that appeals to you the most.

45 3,955
 03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
User Info
(03-21-2013, 10:09 AM)Agravic Wrote: EJ89 would be my recommendation as well as a 1st new razor.

1. nice price
2. nice finishing
3. nice performance

Smile

(03-21-2013, 10:13 AM)tm3 Wrote: EJ89 and Merkur HD are very well liked. I recommend an adjustable, specifically the merkur progress.

Don't look now but there is one in the trading forum right now for less money than the two non-adjustables ..........

(03-21-2013, 10:20 AM)Striky Wrote: My first razor was the EJ89L, and it's a very good razor. I don't regret buying it, because it is a very good razor. And I recommend you to buy one.

However, I will recommend a Feather Popular as a first razor. It is very forgiving, even with a wicked sharp blade. Pair it with a sharp blade, and you will have smooth shaves, and minimal chance of nicks and cuts. This is as always a YMMV, but this is just my $0.02

Hi Agravic, tm3, Striky,

Thank you as well! Smile Looks like the EJ89 is really a good choice. Wink

For those that recommended the Merkur adjustable (Progress or Futur), since I'm new to this world, is it pretty obvious what the "safest" setting is for the Merkur? (like is there a "1" - "5" setting, or do I just eyeball the Blade becoming more and more exposed?)

And Striky, thanks for the Feather recommendation; I'll keep that in mind should I find the EJ isn't working for me.

(03-21-2013, 10:26 AM)Agravic Wrote: All the EJ89 models have the same head, and vary only in terms of handle. This is mainly a cosmetic choice, although I would recommend the lined one as it has somewhat better grip.

I highly recommend a sampler pack of blades ... different blades work for different people ... so this is the best way to try several brands/types.

In terms of vendors, I would recommend any one of the vendors listed in the 'vendor section' of this forum.

I would avoid Amazon for shaving-related items ... unless you're in a pinch. You never know what you're going to get in terms of age/condition of items, even though they are 'new'. This is my experience at least ... good luck.

Thanks Agravic, tgutc,

OK, cool. (good to know that it's mainly just handle design aesthetics.)

Can't wait to get started! Smile

3 270
 03-21-2013, 11:23 AM
  • ethiel
  • Airman
  • Alexandria, VA.
User Info
If you only want one razor, you can go with Merkur Progress.
If you want a well made razor, Mule R89, the finish is perfect, once you have learned you can jump to the R 41.

1 23
 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM
  • MrTGun
  • Toronto, Ontario
User Info
Not that I have any basis for comparison, but I'm new and I love the EJ89/Muhle head.

~TG

0 29
 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I started with a DE86 and a 34c. I'm not sure what the differences are between the 86 and the 89. I very quickly found a '53 Super Speed at a local antique shop though for 12 bucks and it became my favorite. Of my first two new razors, the 34c is my favorite.

14 1,177
 03-21-2013, 12:13 PM
User Info
Edwin Jagger razors are an excellent choice for a first razor. If you want something a little less expensive or vintage, then eBay has some great Gillette black handle super speeds for excellent prices. It's an easy to use, well built razor and can be purchased for around $10-$15.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 03-21-2013, 12:43 PM
User Info
I think the various EJ89s are handle differences. I, for one, like a longer handle.

West Coast Shaving is great to deal with. I confess a preference for Bullgoose Shaving, however. . . .

1 50
 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
I started with a DE89. Then I got a Progress and it was goodby DE89.

44 633
 03-21-2013, 01:23 PM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
Edwin Jagger 89, blade sampler from any reputable online shaving store (sorry won't recommend any due to bias), boar brush (Omega or Semogue), Proraso pre/post creme, and Proraso shaving cream is what I recommend. This is what I started both my uncle and brother with.

1 111
 03-21-2013, 01:37 PM
User Info
DE89 is great (love mine). However, the ultimate foolproof DE razor is a Schick Krona (and dirt cheap too).

47 1,112
 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Edwin Jagger DE89/Mühle R89 or Schick Krona, I wish I'd started with either of those razors...

0 132