03-21-2013, 04:11 PM
User Info
Hey Forum,

I'm on a roll right now - buying a lot of razors the past 3-4 weeks Cool

This is my 12.th DE razor purchase in March Blush

I had a little gift card to a shop and got free shipping, so pulled the trigger on the PIls 101 NE Matte finished tainsless steel DE razor.

I paid €180 including shipping.
I have already owned this model back when I did not have the most experience with DE razors.

I hope I will enjoy it more second time around Smile

If not, I think and hope I will not repurchase this razor once again in 2-3 years time, but don't laugh if I still end up doing so Blush

Have any of you guys any experience with the Pils DE razor ?
I know Ikon copied the head design 2-3 years ago, and that the head is quite bulky and need a more steep angle, than regular DE razors do to get a proper shave.

I actually got pretty decent shaves with my first Pils DE razor, but I felt it was overpriced, and it is, and got a good offer on it, so I could not resist selling it.

I thought about getting the version of the Pils DE with the black acryllic glass on the handle, but once I realised it weighed 30 grams less than the all stainless steel version, I went for the matte stainless steel once again.

23 5,414
 03-21-2013, 04:16 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
My main complaint is that my Pils rusted almost immediately.

45 16,783
 03-21-2013, 05:30 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have 2 of them since they first came out and absolutely NO RUST....mind you I use a few drops of high quality sewing machine oil on ALL my razors and spread it around with a Q-tip...never had any problems with any razor.Smile

6 1,946
 03-21-2013, 06:12 PM
User Info
(03-21-2013, 05:30 PM)Harvey Wrote: I have 2 of them since they first came out and absolutely NO RUST....mind you I use a few drops of high quality sewing machine oil on ALL my razors and spread it around with a Q-tip...never had any problems with any razor.Smile

I also hope and believe, that my regular routine will avoid it from rusting.
I always remove my DE blade after each shave from all my DE razors.
I think leaving the DE blade in a DE razor could lead to rusting or at least transfer some of the rust spots from the DE blade to the razor.

With that said I think I have heard too many complaints about rust in the Pils for it to be just operator error.
I believe Pils had or still have some problems with rusting heads. Only time will tell if I regret my purchase Smile

23 5,414
 03-21-2013, 06:27 PM
User Info
(03-21-2013, 06:12 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-21-2013, 05:30 PM)Harvey Wrote: I have 2 of them since they first came out and absolutely NO RUST....mind you I use a few drops of high quality sewing machine oil on ALL my razors and spread it around with a Q-tip...never had any problems with any razor.Smile

I also hope and believe, that my regular routine will avoid it from rusting.
I always remove my DE blade after each shave from all my DE razors.
I think leaving the DE blade in a DE razor could lead to rusting or at least transfer some of the rust spots from the DE blade to the razor.

With that said I think I have heard too many complaints about rust in the Pils for it to be just operator error.
I believe Pils had or still have some problems with rusting heads. Only time will tell if I regret my purchase Smile

It was my understanding that the purpose of using stainless steel was to make the razors corrosion resistant (though obviously not corrosion-proof). Is the steel in some way defective/does anyone know why the razors are prone to rusting?

5 407
 03-21-2013, 07:25 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I have a Pils. A beautiful looking razor IMO. It hasn't rusted, but it hasn't seen much use either...

97 17,968
 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
User Info
i had one and i think it is the most beautifully crafted DE razor that i have ever seen. It was a good shaver, but once i got my DLC, there was no comparison in shaves, so the Pils had to go. i debated in keeping it, but i just wasn't enjoying the shaves with it. You have to realize that it is very head-heavy!
Good luck with it.

78 20,953
 03-22-2013, 02:05 AM
User Info
It is my understanding that the rusting is not the result of inferior stainless steel, it is the result of the welding rod used to assemble the parts.

0 86
 03-22-2013, 02:50 AM
User Info
Hello Claus, second time round is going too be good...... I hope. As you say you now have a lot of experience under your belt.

I love shaving with mine, but I did go through a bit of a learning curve !!! well quite a bit, mainly due too it's weight (head heavy) but when't through quite a lot of different DE blades to find the best suited one.

Either a Voskhod or Polsilver super Iridium.

Charles U.K

0 2,388
 03-22-2013, 04:10 AM
User Info
Congratulations and let us know how your shaves are doing.

107 12,610
 03-22-2013, 08:18 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Fantastic! Please do post your impressions of it.

I have almost pulled the trigger on the same razor multiple times but after not really getting along with the Ikon SK9 or the Feather AS-D1,(both much too mild for me), I was hesitant that the PILS would be a similar shave.
I have read conflicting reports on that account as well as mention of the rust issue but that one has seemingly either been resolved by PILS or attributed to "user error".

Eric

6 905
 03-22-2013, 01:37 PM
User Info
i am no metallurgist, but it was explained to me that the Pils can rust because the SS is not coated. some SS razors are coated, like the Feather, others are not, like the pils.

apparently blade removal after use, disassembly, and drying are all that it takes to keep rust at bay.

3 69
 03-22-2013, 03:34 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I dry the razors with a hair dryer and lightly coat with a q-tip in oil....same with blades.

6 1,946
 03-22-2013, 03:41 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(03-22-2013, 01:37 PM)tm3 Wrote: ... apparently blade removal after use, disassembly, and drying are all that it takes to keep rust at bay.

That's the routine I adopt with all my razors. (Remove blade, towel dry and leave disassembled for further drying).

I'm too lazy to follow Harvey's more careful approach.

97 17,968