03-21-2013, 06:13 PM
User Info
I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a dirty bird scuttle. I just can't decide between the original or the 1.5. The 1.5 looks massive. What is the benefit of the larger size? I know they hold more water so they will keep the lather warm for a longer period of time, but is it necessary? (I know mmmv <my mileage may vary> I'm just looking for some input). Will the original be ok with larger brushes? Right now I only have small/medium brushes, but will probably get a larger brush at some point.

1 20
 03-21-2013, 06:21 PM
User Info
I have the original - go with the original. I have read accounts of others who got the larger one and were stunned at how big it is. Another idea is to measure where you are going to put it and see what fits. The original is more than sufficient, believe me. Oh, and get ready to fall in love with it - Julie is backlogged for a reason.

6 323
 03-21-2013, 10:00 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've never use her original so I cannot compare. I can tell you this, you will have to pry my 1.5 from my cold dead hands.

173 23,554
 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
The depth of the bowl will be less in the smaller scuttle. If you are bowl lathering, the size of the bowl should be what affects your choice the most. Face lathering, you might want to consider a brush scuttle.

16 545
 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(03-21-2013, 10:00 PM)Johnny Wrote: I've never use her original so I cannot compare. I can tell you this, you will have to pry my 1.5 from my cold dead hands.

+1

So true Johnny.

7 858
 03-24-2013, 03:21 AM
User Info
(03-22-2013, 01:17 PM)matloffm Wrote: The depth of the bowl will be less in the smaller scuttle. If you are bowl lathering, the size of the bowl should be what affects your choice the most. Face lathering, you might want to consider a brush scuttle.

I bowl lather. I have just seen pics and the 1.5 looks like a monster (I have heard it compared to a teapot a few times) I am semi new (4 months) to wet shaving so I don't have much experience with different bowls, mugs etc. I started out using an EJ apothecary mug, which seemed oddly shaped to me for lathering in. It seems to funnel the lather up over the edge. I am guessing that style mug is more suited to storing the soap and just loading the brush with. Lately, I have just been using a plastic snack tub :-(
I am starting to lean towards ordering a 1.5 and one of her soap bowls. Thinking I will use the soap bowl more often (workdays) and the 1.5 on the days when I am less rushed (like I get a lot of those with an 18 month running around lol)

1 20
 03-24-2013, 03:30 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have a DB travel scuttle. It is too small to lather in so I start the lather in it and then face lather. It ends up being a brush scuttle. If you want to bowl lather, I would suggest you go for the bigger bowl. Bowls that are too small to fully build the lather I find frustrating. I have a TSN Bill Bowl and that is my primary for bowl lathering.

You can always get several in different sizes and try them out. Biggrin

16 545
 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM
User Info
I believe that mine is the 'normal' sized one. For me, i use a rotation of brushes, it's too shallow. Go oversized.

5 410