03-22-2013, 02:16 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
The Simpson Harvard H3 shaving brush is elegant and is, as is often stated in the sales pitches, an underrated brush. I think it's not so much that the brush is underrated as much as just unrated. No-one seems to have noticed it much, but this is truly superb brush and an excellent all-rounder.

It carries itself with an understated elegance. It does not shout at you, the H3, but draws you in and confirms both its promise and its capacity. I am very pleased I purchased it, and I am enthusiastic about its performance.

For starters, it looks beautiful and proportionate, and is a well-balanced brush in my medium to large hands. Water absorption is right for me, and I use both shaving sticks and creams mostly, but those who use soap pucks exclusively may have a different view.

Lathered up, I can apply the foam exactly where it needs to go, and there is plenty of foam, too; it yields it up nicely and is a highly functional brush all round: a workhorse and an object of subtle, quiet beauty. It is part of my rotation, and I reach for it more often than not these days.

[Image: VPjc7DW.jpg]

0 1,625
 03-22-2013, 02:40 AM
User Info
(03-22-2013, 02:16 AM)Shaun Wrote: The Simpson Harvard H3 shaving brush is elegant and is, as is often stated in the sales pitches, an underrated brush. I think it's not so much that the brush is underrated so much as just un-rated. No-one seems to have notcied it much, but this is truly superb brush and an excellent all-rounder.

It carries itself with an understated elegance. It does not shout at you, the H3, but draws you in and confirms both its promise and its capacity. I am very pleased I purchased it, and I am enthusiastic about its performance.

For starters, it looks beautiful and proportionate, and is a well-balanced brush in my medium to large hands. Water absorption is right for me, and I use both shaving sticks and creams mostly, but those who use soap pucks exclusively may have a different view.

Lathered up, I can apply the foam exactly where it needs to go, and there is plenty of foam, too; it yields it up nicely and is a highly functional brush all round: a workhorse and an object of subtle, quiet beauty. It is part of my rotation, and I reach for it more often than not these days.

[Image: VPjc7DW.jpg]

Excellent mini review, I concur with you words. My own Harvard is the H5 a fabulous all round brush, although these is in best badger it feels more like super.

Upon first sight it reminds me of my Persian jar PJ3, but the Harvard is more Voluptuous shape and great density.

Charles U.K

0 2,340
 03-22-2013, 04:40 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
I don't own a super badger, or a manchurian, or anything like that. All my badgers are Simpsons in best and all of them are superb, some with softer tips than others. My Commodore 1 is tres sooooooft. I have heard it said that there is little discernible difference the finer the grade beyond Simpsons best, but I suppose it depends on the particular badger, batch of hair etc.

Perhaps someone should GIVE me a Super Badger or a two band so I can experiment. Smile Nah, I'm happy with best, thanks.

0 1,625
 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Shaun

The Harvard is certainly a very classy and gorgeously curvy looking shaving brush and a H3 or H4 (still haven't decided which one at this time) makes up part of my Simpsons Shaving Brush Wish List...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-22-2013, 03:41 PM
User Info
Looking forward to my H4 to arrive...

31 1,559
 03-22-2013, 06:15 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The Harvard is one of the very few Simpson brushes I haven't owned. It reminds me if the Persian Jar in form.

91 17,883
 03-22-2013, 06:38 PM
User Info
Great brush and a very nice review of it. Thanks for sharing!

I don't understand when people state there is little difference between Simpson's best and super. To me, it is literally night and day. I can tell just by looking at the two side by side which is which, and the face feel is much softer and finer with super badger. I have seen some Somerset's however, in which the best hair is very close to, if not actually super badger.

63 2,128
 03-22-2013, 08:36 PM
User Info
Very nice review and enjoy the brush!

75 20,884
 03-22-2013, 10:37 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(03-22-2013, 06:38 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Great brush and a very nice review of it. Thanks for sharing!

I don't understand when people state there is little difference between Simpson's best and super. To me, it is literally night and day. I can tell just by looking at the two side by side which is which, and the face feel is much softer and finer with super badger. I have seen some Somerset's however, in which the best hair is very close to, if not actually super badger.

See Mike's review of the Duke 3. There are many who find Simpson's Best can sometimes be as good as it gets. I have a Duke 3 Somerset and I'm thinking they perhaps didn't classify hair as 'super' or silvertip in those days, but I haven't a clue about that really. Mark may be able to comment.

0 1,625
 03-23-2013, 04:05 AM
User Info
(03-22-2013, 10:37 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(03-22-2013, 06:38 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Great brush and a very nice review of it. Thanks for sharing!

See Mike's review of the Duke 3. There are many who find Simpson's Best can sometimes be as good as it gets. I have a Duke 3 Somerset and I'm thinking they perhaps didn't classify hair as 'super' or silvertip in those days, but I haven't a clue about that really. Mark may be able to comment.

It is another good example of ymmv it seems. Maybe I have been unlucky with my "batches" of best badger in the past ... Either way, enjoy that Harvard of yours! Badger

63 2,128
 03-23-2013, 04:43 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(03-23-2013, 04:05 AM)cessnabird Wrote:
(03-22-2013, 10:37 PM)Shaun Wrote:

It is another good example of ymmv it seems. Maybe I have been unlucky with my "batches" of best badger in the past ... Either way, enjoy that Harvard of yours! Badger

Yes I guess it may be a case of YMMV. I also think though that if you can discern the difference and you love it, you're in a really good place. I don't dispute it; I'm cool with it... might even envy it!

0 1,625
 03-23-2013, 08:45 AM
User Info

I agree whole heartily with your comments here Jeremy as this has been my exact experience with both the best and super hair grade provided by Simpsons. My custom D3 Silvertip is softer then any D3 in best that I have tried and its never even been close as to which is softer. Of course we both happen to fall in the anti-scritch camp so ultimately it could simply come down to a YMMV for those who are less sensitive to scritch then we are.

64 796
 03-23-2013, 09:28 AM
User Info
(03-22-2013, 02:16 AM)Shaun Wrote: . . . it looks beautiful and proportionate[Image: VPjc7DW.jpg]

I agree. Thank you for the review. I haven't yet found a Simspon's brush that I love, but my search has hardly been exhaustive. I've been looking at a few, the Harvard being one of them, and specifically in this size.

I appreciate you offering a rating to this "unrated" brush.

1 50