03-22-2013, 05:01 AM
User Info
Today I got to give a nice real-life PIF. A co-worker of mine has heard me talk about traditional wet shaving and wants to give it a shot. So today I lent him my EJ DE89 and a pack of Astra SP blades.

I also offered a brush and some C.O. Bigelow cream, but he said he'd rather take it one step at a time and stick with his foam for now. Oh well, to each his own. But I hope it doesn't negatively affect his experience and make him quit. But at least he said he's going to do a hot towel treatment for prep. I pointed him to Mantic and GeoFatboy's videos and wished him the best.

But he did threaten to come after me on Monday if his face is messed up, so I'm going to have to watch my back. Rolleyes

10 2,062
 03-22-2013, 05:19 AM
User Info
Well done.

While I like the DE razor more than the cartridges, the brush and soap are what make it really enjoyable for me. I always try and start people with the brush and soap then move them into a DE or SE razor once they learn to make a good lather.

18 567
 03-22-2013, 05:31 AM
User Info
(03-22-2013, 05:19 AM)PanChango Wrote: Well done.

While I like the DE razor more than the cartridges, the brush and soap are what make it really enjoyable for me. I always try and start people with the brush and soap then move them into a DE or SE razor once they learn to make a good lather.

Signs011

31 7,912
 03-22-2013, 05:35 AM
User Info
I agree! I tried to convince him of that, but didn't want to press the issue too hard. I figured if he does have a good experience he would come back for the rest of it.

10 2,062
 03-22-2013, 05:46 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
John, you did him a big favor, he just does not know it. As long as he is careful, your back should be okay.

Nice gesture on your part.

173 23,507
 03-22-2013, 12:38 PM
User Info
Excellent! Hopefully a new member will be joining us very soon.Smile

31 4,957
 03-22-2013, 01:06 PM
User Info
All you can do is exactly what you did. You helped as best he would allow you to. I agree with Dale though, the lathering is one of the most enjoyable aspects of it.

32 6,309
 03-22-2013, 01:22 PM
User Info
(03-22-2013, 12:38 PM)Optometrist Wrote: Excellent! Hopefully a new member will be joining us very soon.Smile

+1 Well done!

75 20,883
 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM
  • MrTGun
  • Toronto, Ontario
User Info
I've been lucky as well on the pay it forward type front this week as well. My oldest and bestest friend will be receiving a basket full of hardware and software from me for his 40th and another friend called today to have me walk him through his first online order.

TG

0 29
 03-25-2013, 12:40 PM
User Info
Good news, he didn't come after me! He said he got his closest shave ever, and aside from a small nick under the nose there was no irritation.

But he said he didn't like the amount of time it took, so he saw it more as a special occasion thing rather than a daily process. Either way, I think we may have a new member soon.

10 2,062
 03-25-2013, 01:18 PM
User Info
(03-25-2013, 12:40 PM)taborcarn Wrote: Good news, he didn't come after me! He said he got his closest shave ever, and aside from a small nick under the nose there was no irritation.

But he said he didn't like the amount of time it took, so he saw it more as a special occasion thing rather than a daily process. Either way, I think we may have a new member soon.

Again, well done. As he gets more into traditional wet shaving, the time thing ends up working itself out as skills develop. I bet it will go from a special occasion thing to a daily driver like the rest of us. For the first few weeks after I switched to a DE and a brush, I remember it taking me 20 to 30 mins to get through a shave in the morning. After a few years of practice, If I am rushed, I can get through a shave in just a couple minutes.

18 567
 03-30-2013, 07:28 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
(03-25-2013, 01:18 PM)PanChango Wrote:
(03-25-2013, 12:40 PM)taborcarn Wrote: Good news, he didn't come after me! He said he got his closest shave ever, and aside from a small nick under the nose there was no irritation.

Again, well done. As he gets more into traditional wet shaving, the time thing ends up working itself out as skills develop. I bet it will go from a special occasion thing to a daily driver like the rest of us. For the first few weeks after I switched to a DE and a brush, I remember it taking me 20 to 30 mins to get through a shave in the morning. After a few years of practice, If I am rushed, I can get through a shave in just a couple minutes.

The way I see it the world can wait till I'm finished shaving... I may be late but I'll be there...lol

5 1,151