03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
User Info
I was looking in a local shop for something to feed my RAD after grabbing a 54 super speed and a 60 ball end tech to clean up.

I found these Gem Single edge razors in a cigar box.
Well, I took them home and hit them with the scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush. They seemed to clean up rather nicely.

I really know next to nothing about these other than I'm curious to give them a shot if i can find some gem blades at the drugstore. Any help identifying these would be greatly appreciated along with any tips in using them.

0 68
 03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
User Info
You have yourself there a Feather Weight & a MicroMatic Clog Pruf (the solid bar version of the OCMM).

Great find. Enjoy!

31 7,914
 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM
User Info
Nice finds. Will any kind of shaving single edge blades work in those?

0 9
 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Yup...any you find at drug store which are usually GEM made by American Safety razor Company...hold razor almost flat to face and you will find your sweet spot...If you like the razor you can buy coated blades from Ted Pella in bulk or from most shave sites.Cool

6 1,913
 03-22-2013, 04:05 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
one to avoid, (according to me) is a certain knock-off/store-branded blade from Korea. mostly they are seen in supermarkets. just puttin' it out there. couldn't even squeeze a complete single shave from them. no experience with Pellas but have used the Gem teflons. shouldn't have any trouble finding those. Great find ! good luck !

0 1,291
 03-22-2013, 04:07 PM
User Info
SEs will give great audible feedback too. You'll hear when you have the right angle.

31 7,914
 03-22-2013, 05:36 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hey Craig I see you have found a couple SE's... LOOKOUT you may be PIFing your PIF... I have both of those razors. The Featherweight is a great little shaver and is a great starter razor into SE's. The Clog Pruf is a more aggressive razor that requires diligence on the users part. The Featherweight is in my top 3 razors right now. I shaved with my "Flying Wing" aka "Bullet Tip" last night which is a close relative of the Clog Pruf. Great BBS 2 pass shave. The Open Comb (OCMM) is the 3rd member of the Micro Mantic family and is a pure no nonsense save tool. Very aggressive.

As stated above keep the top of the razor almost parallel to your face and NO pressure. It's the closest you can get to a straight razor shave without a straight.

I started in earnest using SE's about 3 or so weeks ago (I now have 10 versions, go figure...lol) and haven't had a desire to pick up any of my DE's since... Hell I'm sending YOU my best vintage DE in the morning. I'll send you some SE blades in your package.. YOU Sir may become a LOSER Too !!!

5 1,151
 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
User Info
Good going SJR!

Craig, I caught what you wrote, so I'm not so much writing this for you. Please bear with me. One thing to steer clear of are hardware store blades. They look identical to the shave quality blades, but if they'll work for shaving it's just by sheer luck. BTW, even the boxes look the same as bulk shave quality blades. But a spent shave quality blade is still 10 times sharper than a hardware store blade.

32 6,309
 03-22-2013, 08:09 PM
User Info
(03-22-2013, 05:36 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Hey Craig I see you have found a couple SE's... LOOKOUT you may be PIFing your PIF... I have both of those razors. The Featherweight is a great little shaver and is a great starter razor into SE's. The Clog Pruf is a more aggressive razor that requires diligence on the users part. The Featherweight is in my top 3 razors right now. I shaved with my "Flying Wing" aka "Bullet Tip" last night which is a close relative of the Clog Pruf. Great BBS 2 pass shave. The Open Comb (OCMM) is the 3rd member of the Micro Mantic family and is a pure no nonsense save tool. Very aggressive.

As stated above keep the top of the razor almost parallel to your face and NO pressure. It's the closest you can get to a straight razor shave without a straight.

I started in earnest using SE's about 3 or so weeks ago (I now have 10 versions, go figure...lol) and haven't had a desire to pick up any of my DE's since... Hell I'm sending YOU my best vintage DE in the morning. I'll send you some SE blad
es in your package.. YOU Sir may become a LOSER Too !!!

SJR glad you mentioned it i have a 10pack of cvs se blades (rebranded ASR blades) i will pop one of them into the feather weight.

0 68
 03-22-2013, 09:17 PM
User Info
Sweet score! those Gem's will reward you with wonderful shaves once you get used to them.

63 2,128
 03-22-2013, 10:22 PM
User Info
Gems indeed...the FW is one of my favorite razor of all times. Enjoy them.

5 938
 03-23-2013, 08:26 PM
User Info
I used my streamline SE today.....what a shaveBiggrin

0 606