03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
User Info
Here are 4 new 2 band badger brushes for my personal collection.
Hence the name for the thread 4 X 2 Band Adventures.

I have obtained some 2 band knots from multiple makers for restoration and custom made brushes. Two of the brushes are customs that I have made and one restored brush. The source of the knots will remain a mystery for the sake of this thread. In addition I have purchased a Simpsons Super 2 Band for comparison. This will be a comparison and contrast thread between these brushes.

Each brush will be spotlighted with some individual pictures and a description of how it performed.

Here is the 4 X 2 Band Bunch.

[Image: 9052382984_46501c41d8_b.jpg]

Let the adventures begin!

1 2,827
 03-22-2013, 03:21 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Gary

You truly know how to build an audience... Grabbing some popcorn (which I dislike) and settling down to be educated and entertained Icon_popcorn

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-22-2013, 03:25 PM
User Info
Grabbing a seat next to Mike, but passing on the popcorn Tongue
Nice set of brushes, with some cool and unique handles!

15 222
 03-22-2013, 03:30 PM
User Info
I didn't even know there were 3 options in 2 band knots!

edit: I take it back. Ace Shaving sells them.

9 2,988
 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Looking forward to your comparison!

91 17,795
 03-22-2013, 04:07 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
As the new owner of two of your brushes--one Ever-Ready restoration and one Carrington original (both 3-band silvertips)--I look forward to this thread, too. I love the work you do on your custom handles. I haven't seen two alike, which adds to their interest, IMO. Keep up the great work! I can't wait to see the show... Icon_popcorn

0 254
 03-22-2013, 04:22 PM
User Info
Will be looking forward to the comparisons. As a non owner of a Simpsons (yet) I will be interested to see if I'm missing out.

31 1,800
 03-22-2013, 04:23 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

45 3,955
 03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Excellent! I'm really looking forward to your observations Gary. Beautiful brushes as always!

14 870
 03-22-2013, 08:38 PM
User Info
(03-22-2013, 04:29 PM)Attila Wrote: Excellent! I'm really looking forward to your observations Gary. Beautiful brushes as always!

+1 This should be interesting! Have fun, Gary.

75 20,883
 03-23-2013, 08:06 AM
User Info
Now for the testing. This will be the first round of four using a hard soap as a common benchmark. The soap I am selecting for the first round of testing is VDH Deluxe Hard Soap. I chose this soap for three reasons. It is a good performing soap that I am very familiar with. It is readily available in the market place. Lastly, I am not testing the soap or making the soap the star of the show, this is about the brushes.

The first brush on the list is the Simpsons Keyhole Super 2 Band. This brush was purchased new and this is the first time it has been used.

[Image: 9050156673_9e4ac96d0a_b.jpg]

I soaked the brush in room temperature water while I took my shower. A small amount of water was placed on the soap to soften it up. After the shower, I took the brush and gave it a couple of light drop shakes to reduce the water. The brush was applied to the soap and it picked up a nice layer off the top with a couple of swirls. I began to bowl lather the soap and added a slight bit of water to the mix as I normally do. The soap exploded into a nice thick rich lather enough for two face passes and a full head pass.

The brush applied the soap to my skin almost effortlessly. The handle was easy to grip and maneuvered around my face and head without any awkwardness. The knot was absolutely excellent. Perhaps one of the very best I have used. It has solid backbone and was soft without any hint of scritch. A perfect combination for many users who want a soft brush but not a floppy brush. The lather flowed easily from the knot and this brush was extremely effective as well as luxurious.

Simpsons set the bar very high with this wonderful brush. The handle is easy to use and it looks very elegant. This is a very impressive brush and would provide years of excellent and luxurious service in anyone's collection. Well done Simpsons, well done indeed!

1 2,827
 03-23-2013, 01:27 PM
User Info
(03-22-2013, 03:21 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Gary

You truly know how to build an audience... Grabbing some popcorn (which I dislike) and settling down to be educated and entertained Icon_popcorn

Take care, Mike

(03-22-2013, 03:25 PM)reyrascon Wrote: Grabbing a seat next to Mike, but passing on the popcorn Tongue
Nice set of brushes, with some cool and unique handles!

This looks like it's going to be really interesting. I'll grab a seat on the other side of Mike and help him eat that popcorn since he doesn't really like it anyway. [Image: smiley_popcorn.gif]

0 73
 03-23-2013, 01:39 PM
User Info
Be sure to keep an eye on another 2 band brush that I worked on at the same time as the two customs and the restore in this thread at the link below.

http://shavenook.com/thread-new-den-arrival

1 2,827
 03-24-2013, 06:50 AM
User Info
The next brush on the list is the 1943 Lady Liberty 2 Band. This brush is a custom brush that I produced. It has a wooden handle that has been saturated stained to produce a uniform color with two layers of polyurethane both inside (hole) and outside along with a final complete coating of clear epoxy over the polyurethane. The handle was completely coated before the knot was installed. This should provide long term protection for the handle. What is on the bottom of the handle is why this brush got its name.

[Image: 9052386022_4c44b7f702_b.jpg]

As with the Simpsons Keyhole, this is the first time this brush has been used. The testing procedure was the same as before. I soaked the brush in room temperature water while I took my shower. A small amount of water was placed on the soap to soften it up. After the shower, I took the brush and gave it a couple of light drop shakes to reduce the water. The brush was applied to the soap and it picked up a nice layer off the top with a couple of swirls. I began to bowl lather the soap and added a slight bit of water to the mix as I normally do. The soap exploded into a nice thick rich lather enough for two face passes and a full head pass.

The brush applied the soap to my skin easily and smoothly. The handle was easy to grip and maneuvered around my face and head without any awkwardness. The knot was very good. It has solid backbone and is soft with a small amount of scritch. The lather flowed easily from the knot and this brush was extremely effective.

This is a very nice brush and knot combination. The knot was not as good in my opinion as the Simpson Keyhole, however I would rate it at least 90% as good which is excellent rating. This combination should enjoy many years of excellent use.

1 2,827
 03-24-2013, 07:08 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gary , the Keyhole looks fantastic , my friend.

Looking forward to read more of your impressions.Thanks a lot.

86 7,123
 03-24-2013, 04:26 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Gary

Thank you for the couple of review's so far Thumbsup

I'm looking forward to more...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-24-2013, 04:39 PM
User Info
Gary,

I will be checking back on this thread and your reviews. Some fantastic work with these brushes - as anticipated from you. The Liberty Lady brush could easily become one of the best looking brushes I have ever seen. You have sparked some "brush envy" in many admirers of your work.

29 1,731
 03-25-2013, 02:31 AM
User Info
The next brush on the list is the Two Tone Made Rite. This brush was bought NOS and it had a Generation 1 Nylon knot that I estimate was made in the mid 1950s to the very early 1960s. Although the knot was in perfect condition, the performance of the original nylon knots left a lot to be desired in light of current technology (or any technology). Rather than replacing the knot with a current technology synthetic brush, I decided to use this brush to support a two band badger knot. So, when the knot was removed, the handle needed to be cleaned internally. A fixed post holding the original knot had to be removed to install a new knot to a reasonable depth. The two handle sections were separated, cleaned and reconnected with a complete layer of epoxy bonding the interlocking sections. At that point the replacement 22 mm two band knot was placed into the handle and the loft was set as seen in the following image.

[Image: 9050155203_4ebfd08cd4_b.jpg]

As with the prior brushes, this is the first time this brush/knot has been used. The testing procedure was the same as before. I soaked the brush in room temperature water while I took my shower. A small amount of water was placed on the soap to soften it up. After the shower, I took the brush and gave it a couple of light drop shakes to reduce the water. The brush was applied to the soap and it picked up a nice layer off the top with a couple of swirls. I began to bowl lather the soap and added a slight bit of water to the mix as I normally do. The soap exploded into a nice thick rich lather enough for two face passes and a full head pass.

The brush applied the soap to my skin easily and smoothly. The handle was easy to grip and maneuvered around my face and head without any awkwardness. The knot was absolutely excellent. This matched the Simpsons Keyhole in terms of softness without scritch. It has good backbone. The 54 mm loft was required to accommodate the internal structure of the handle, which allows for slightly less backbone than the Simpsons Keyhole, but not enough to adversely affect the performance. The lather flowed easily from the knot and this brush was extremely effective as well as luxurious.

This is a beautiful handle and I am really glad that I decided to use this in the two band test. The handle and knot combination are wonderful. I can't wait to perform more testing on this brush, however wait I must for there is one more brush to receive and initial testing

1 2,827
 03-25-2013, 10:14 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Gary

Just checking, will you be posting post-bloom photos of the knots?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-25-2013, 02:15 PM
User Info
(03-25-2013, 10:14 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Gary

Just checking, will you be posting post-bloom photos of the knots?

Take care, Mike

I will post some bloom pictures after a couple of testing runs for each.

1 2,827