03-22-2013, 06:02 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hello Gents. Yes I will bend your ear/ or eye... for a minute or 2. Last night I pulled the "Flying Wing" Micro Matic out of the hanger for the 1st time since I received it over a week ago. To me the lines on this razor are an awesome art deco to the max. It just screams of style. Sleek with long lines. Mine is gold and while not mint is in great shape.

I loaded her with a new Gem Blue Star blade and after my usual prep routine I Ultra-lathered up some trusty VdH and took off... Being diligent in my angle and NO PRESSURE. (I learned a valuable lesson when I rode the OCMM). This lovely razor glided across my face with the greatest of ease. The audible feedback is great and you can feel the whiskers being loosed..

After a smooth landing I finished with Florida Water for a pure sweet 2 pass BBS shave. Not a single nick/weeper. Absolutely NO razor burn. To accomplish the same thing with a typical DE I would need 3 passes w/ touch ups.

This razor not only looks great but shaves even better. It is a throwback to simpler more innocent time when style went along with function. The designers of these SE razors knew something... I now have shaved with all 3 of the Micro Matics and "The Wing" is my favorite of all.... What can I say... Come FLY with me !!! I'm a LOSER all the way !!!

5 1,151
 03-22-2013, 08:46 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Joe! Enjoy the SEs.
Boy, i sure wish i could use them as i love their looks.

75 20,883
 03-22-2013, 09:14 PM
User Info
Awesome write up, the Micro-matic family is a fine one to say the least. I really enjoy using them when I am in the mood for a great SE shave.

63 2,128
 03-22-2013, 10:24 PM
User Info
I had a feeling that's where this thread was going based on the title. The Flying Wing is still one I need to try it. Enjoy!

5 938
 03-23-2013, 09:49 AM
User Info
Nice write up. IMO the Flying Wing is the most "sophisticated" of the family. Both in looks and the way it shaves.

Alas, I don't like to use mine because I tend to forget how aggressive it is behind its veil of sophistication. I get cocky with it and that's never a good thing.

32 6,309
 03-23-2013, 10:13 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Which GEM razor is the "Flying Wing"....if anyone has a picture I would appreciate seeing what you are talking about.Thanks

6 1,913
 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM
User Info
(03-23-2013, 10:13 AM)Harvey Wrote: Which GEM razor is the "Flying Wing"....if anyone has a picture I would appreciate seeing what you are talking about.Thanks

It's the MicroMatic that is oft times referred to as the Bullet Tip.

31 7,912
 03-23-2013, 10:59 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Thank you...I even have one of those....didn,t know of the other name....Cool

6 1,913
 03-23-2013, 01:14 PM
User Info
Flying Wing is the name given by Gem. Bullet Tip is a forum misnomer that has stuck. Kind of like G-bar for the Heavy Flat Top.

31 7,912