03-23-2013, 11:25 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
Opinions wanted about the finish, not the style... I know these are custom and finishes can and do vary. I ordered this color. I think it's beautiful.
[Image: harvestplains1.jpg]

After a number of weeks wait (no problem), I was informed it was ready, and was presented with this...
[Image: harvestplains2.jpg]

To be clear, the seller presented it for my approval. He didn't seem to mind one way or the other if I took it or not, so I turned it down. I was disappointed. To my eye, they're not even close. I was later told, it is what it is, and he (the seller) has no control over what's actually produced. Turns out, he doesn't even make them. I thought he did. I can accept it as is, or reorder again (fingers crossed). There are a number of other finish options to choose from. I ordered my favorite of the bunch... #2 being basic black, which my gut told me to order at first initially, but I really liked the finish in photo #1. I'm not sure I can now get it without the same thing happening again.

Am I being foolish? What would you do? I'm thinking of just forgetting the whole thing. It's something I wanted, but don't really need.

17 290
 03-24-2013, 01:29 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I think it's the nature of glazing that you can't always control exactly how it turns out, that said I would have expected a closer match.

91 17,823
 03-24-2013, 04:16 AM
User Info
(03-24-2013, 01:29 AM)ben74 Wrote: I think it's the nature of glazing that you can't always control exactly how it turns out, that said I would have expected a closer match.

I agree in that glazing is not a science and I wouldn't expect an exact replica, but it could be closer. For what it's worth I like the second color with more brown better.

24 212
 03-24-2013, 04:48 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Each piece's final finish will vary slightly similar to different runs of carpet and wall paper. Unless its computerized its going to be very difficult to an exact match. I happen to like the darker color.

100 12,439
 03-24-2013, 05:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My question has nothing to do with the color. Which style do you prefer? If they cannot make the style I want, I find another potter.

173 23,501
 03-24-2013, 05:07 AM
User Info
From an ill spent college career, during which I took pottery classes, I found that in pottery the piece, even if thrown on the same day, using all the same product, can come out looking different because of its location in the kiln. There's no way to fire each piece in an art kiln so they come out the same.

Like the 1st style where you can soak the brush better.

5 410
 03-24-2013, 05:35 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
(03-24-2013, 05:04 AM)Johnny Wrote: My question has nothing to do with the color. Which style do you prefer? If they cannot make the style I want, I find another potter.

I ordered the style as shown in the 2nd photo. The first photo is an example of the color/finish ordered. Didn't expect an exact match, but I did expect something closer than what showed up. The first (to me) appears almost marbleized... like stone. The second one looks like pottery. How else to describe it? I think the first color looks impressive, and the second one looks plain. It's an inexpensive piece... not a question of price... a question of being happy about what I end up with. Undecided

17 290
 03-24-2013, 06:23 AM
User Info
I agree with you 100%. No, it's not possible to get a glaze exact, but the second product's finish was way off from the first. The first scuttle's finish is much nicer. I would have been unhappy with the second one too.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327